Radio History

Hi mate,

It’s just been one thing after another the last year. Since my sister passed away I had to leave the property I was in because I could no longer afford the rent on it, and I’m sad that I had to, so many memories in that place. I’m now stuck in a boarding house through not being able to afford another private rental yet and I’m trying to save enough for a bond to get out of here. I’ve got a gofundme setup for anyone that can help me get to goal. My entire story is on this gofundme and because of my medical conditions including ulcerative colitis, I can’t make this my permanent home. A few people in this house are fine but the others are scary…and I don’t smoke, I don’t drink purely because of the ulcerative colitis, but every day I have to smell cigarette smoke and the like. I’m 50 now and there’s still time to turn my life around and I plan to do that from tomorrow…just go all out so I’m not stuck here forever. My intention was always to use this as a bridge to something better but every morning I have to play a lottery and see which one of the toilets is gonna be free…honestly, if all three are taken up when i have to go, with colitis you can’t wait. I’m gonna be in serious trouble one day.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-me-to-raise-enough-for-a-bond

If you or anyone here can help me it would be wonderful - I really need my own toilet/bathroom facilities for a start, not shared.

The site stuff I’ll sort out later when I’m in better accommodation.

4 Likes

In the age of generic station branding (Hit, Triple M, Nova, KIIS etc), we lose logos that used to tie in with the city or town the station broadcast in.

Some of my favourites are below. Can anyone think of some others?

9 Likes

5 Likes

If waves are iconic enough in that respect, here’s the 2WL one

And a tropical looking 8DN logo

8DN_19896

I thought there was a 2TM logo with a country music guitar in it at some point, but couldn’t find one

5 Likes

i think I’ve got that one somewhere. Give me a day or so, I’ll see if I can find it…

2SM_1992

Also perhaps to go with the ‘wave’ theme, 2MW Murwillumbah which carried a wave motif (of sorts) across a number of logos:

2MW_1986
2MW_1989
2MW_1990

EDIT: I am reminded that the last Radio 97 logo there, from 1990, is still in use today… 34 years later??

6 Likes

2sm

PS

There is a topic for this

4 Likes

That’s a Caralis speciality, they are still using the original NEW FM logo from 1989 too.

1 Like

5 Likes

I love the 2TM and 8DN logos for representing smaller regional stations with a local feeling. The 2TM logo screams Tamworth.

It seems to be that the most common tie in to make a logo local is the natural environment and the ocean - 4GG and 2WL

Melbourne’s iconic 3KZ logo may be the only one that ever tied local public transport into a radio station, although trams are so Melbourne. More Melbourne than Kyle and Jackie O anyway.

The Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge are the winner for most commonly used symbol in a logo - 2GB, 2SM and 2CH have all made reference at some point.

3 Likes

Yes it’s hard to come up with something unique to that town for most stations.

I suppose some could incorporate a local “big” something into it eg. A banana in the 2CS logo for instance, or a ram into the 2GN one.

1 Like

How about this old logo from local station 3RPP?

3RPP 98.7FM

3 Likes

4CA used to feature a croc, I guess that’s a symbol for localism :slight_smile:

4CA_1992

3DB also had the Melbourne city buildings when it had its “New Beginning” in 1986

3DB_1986

9 Likes

Rock with the Croc on 4CA!

I bet a certain Elton John song got a fair bit of airplay.

6 Likes

Even station names can reflect a location. Wellington NZ had “Radio Windy” in the 1970s and 1980s (a reference to Wellington’s notoriously windy days, of which I have personally experienced) and in the 90’s they had an FM station called “The Quake”, taking the mickey out of the fact that the city does get the shakes every now and then.

3 Likes

I think Christchurch had a station called Shake 96.1 in the early 90s, possibly for the same reason, though that has a vaguer connotation to the seismic activity.

Invercargill did have Foveaux FM, named after the strait separating the South and Stewart Islands.

It became a More FM affiliate in early 2005, when Mediaworks ditched a lot of the legacy local station names.

5 Likes

I was thinking of something older but I can’t locate it now. Either misplaced or it was my imagination.

Here’s another “local” branding, from 1993,

I am not familiar with Esperance but a seal with a bow-tie is… something…

6SE_1993

Of course, 6SE is now Triple M. Makes about as much sense as a seal wearing a bow-tie

8 Likes

6VA Albany WA from 1971
6va

4 Likes

4VL - air-heads

4 Likes

6VA_1985

6VA got a bit more colourful in 1985 (now it’s just Triple M as well)

5 Likes