Radio History

I wonder what listeners thought of the term, “old stuff”? Did it make them feel any younger?

1 Like

This Jack FM type format was quite popular back in the mid 00’s. I always remember Sea FM (Now Triple M) up in Central and Far Northern Queensland was using a similar format to Wave FM, but Sea was a bit more rock stew than Wave (Very similar to Triple M at the time) Sea FM had the position of “80’s, 90’s and Whenever” and they also used “Playing Whatever We Feel Like”. Sea FM in Townsville was still using “Townsville Best Rock” position.

2 Likes

Uploaded today. A look behind the scenes at Sea FM during a Hot 30 countdown in late 1997.

With some rather dubious segments but beats the hell out of networked shit.

5 Likes

From TRV, a C-Quam AM Stereo recording of 3UL (now 3GG) Gippsland from the winter of 1989

3 Likes

Frequency guide for ABC Papua New Guinea, 22 June 1972.

Source: PNG Post-Courier, NLA Trove.

8 Likes

From the Community Radio thread.

I had a mental blank as to its callsign. Was it always 2CFM, even in the Coast Rock days?

3 Likes

I believe it was. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, it was.

1 Like

Listening today to Hit Mildura , it is sad to see that like the rest of the SCA regionals there is barely any local content on these regional stations anymore.
Thinking back to the glory days (pre StarFm around 2000) I believe the station was originally known as fm 99.5 with a blue logo. Does anyone remember if it had local announcers /playlist across the workday?
From my vague memory it was Matman for breakfast and there was a networked weekend feed called “today’s best music” that also was heard in Bendigo when 91.9 StarFm was launched prior to the Albury hub.

6 Likes

99.5fm is my recollection of the on air station ID, and I have a vague recollection of a small blue logo too with that ID in it.

1 Like

A few of the pre Star FMs had very original names. There was FM 105.9 Orange and FM93 Wagga. Was Griffith just FM 99.7? The Mid North Coast had Rox FM which was a great station.

6 Likes

Coffs Harbour was Hot 105.5.

4 Likes

Apparently, I read somewhere that they were the last DMG-owned regional FM station in NSW to rebrand to Star FM. They probably kept the old name for longer to distinguish it from Star FM (ex-Rox FM) from Kempsey/Port Macquarie before giving in to network pressure to have the same branding as all of its other stations in NSW, VIC & SA instead of with QLD & WA.

6 Likes

Of course. I remember Hot 105.5.

1 Like

Originally started as FM105.5 They had a black and white logo and their studio was in the mall on Harbour Drive.

I still remember the sweepers:

The New Music Revolution Has Just Begun - Coffs Harbour - FM 1 0 5 point 5

6 Likes

Albury had 2AY FM 104.9 (when 2AY and 2AAY were co-owned) then B104.9 before Star FM.

5 Likes

Ah yes, I remember that. Hearing 2AY at night into Sydney they were promoting it as 2AY moving to FM. It then became AM 1494 from memory before becoming 2AY again only a few years later.

5 Likes

Ah yes B104.9 was another one of the good one’s. Use to be spoilt for choice in the north east with B104.9 , The Edge and Sun Fm all within range driving on the Hume

4 Likes

2UW might be another contender, with 69 years of history thrown away as it converted to Mix 106.5.

Now I’m aware that both 101.7 and 106.5 were brought by ARN (from Wesgo and the Albert Family respectively) not long after their conversions to FM, which likely would’ve resulted in major changes for one station regardless. But one still wonders how a “Classic Hits 2UW 106.5” might’ve performed in the ratings against 2WS-FM 101.7 and their “Best Songs of All Time” format…

2 Likes

Geelong’s 3GL to K-Rock is another one… a totally local brand swapped straight out for an American one…

Can’t recall whether BAY-FM 93.9 started on FM before 3GL converted or not… That could have been a factor in the 3GL rebrand.

2 Likes