Wollongong Radio

More forgivable on a forum than when the major news organisations do it! We’re a city (yes we are, Prince Charles made us one!) not a pair of boxer shorts!

Definitely not forgivable that one! What have I ever done to you! We don’t speak of “them”.

Better, but I’d say more Upper!

Better than Burnie!

Met my wife in my time in Hobart, she loves being a Northerner now, I say that I rescued her!

Sorry, I was dragged into this mess but didn’t get a chance to express my disgust! East Burnie! Hrmph.

Ok, back on topic, I’ll hand this thread back over to Wollongong - or Far Northern Heavenport.

3 Likes

Now does that mean i98 makes me feel good the same way smooth does?

So if I want to get that feeling, I go to Hit.

If I want to feel good, I go to i98 or smooth.

And if I want to turn up the feel good, I switch to Nova.

Maybe CRA should use the slogan, “Radio. Feel good.”

2 Likes

Not sure about others, but I instantly associate “Feel Good” type radio slogans with mid-2000s Mix! Although even back then it probably wasn’t an original idea…

4 Likes

I seem to recall back then that Wave FM had “Feel Good” as their secondary positioner on their IDs, which was before they went with the “Playing Whatever We Feel Like” format. Musically, Wave FM was quite similar to Mix 106.5 at that time, with the addition of 70s.

6 Likes

Wave FM are Leaders in Local

Wave FM is at the heart of Illawarra in Wollongong, NSW. Giving back to the community is something the team loves to do and last year was no different.

With the bushfires and a pandemic, coming together as a community was a key part of Wave FM’s local involvement.

Click on above link to see what community initiatives the station has done over 2020.

1 Like

You know Wave FM is one of the rebrands that really baffles me. 2WL was such a powerful local brand it was iconic. Why did they change it when they went FM? Amazes me.

The other one that sticks out on the same level was 4SS. It was madness to rebrand that when they went FM. Especially to such a bland name like Mix. At least Wave evokes the coastal setting of Wollongong.

Probably a discussion for another thread but I can’t think of any other stations that deserved to keep their names more than 2WL and 4SS when they originally converted to FM.

The whole SCA rebranding to Hit and Triple M is another matter of course, I’m talking when an AM station first went FM.

4 Likes

I think the 3GL to KRock name change in Geelong was equally disappointing. In fact their current format makes a bit of a mockery with the name given the lack of rock.

For those not aware, the original company that was awarded the 3BAY licence was called GLFM Pty Ltd as a pre-emptive move to prevent 3GL being GL-FM on air. Not sure why couldn’t have stayed using the name 3GL.

3 Likes

They did keep the “2WL” branding on air, in their logo and advertising for quite some time after the transition to FM. A wave had become an iconic part of their branding during the 2WL days, also. Those stickers were on just about every car in Wollongong when I was a kid. 2WL had little competition in the AM days because 2 Double O had suffered from poor reception in parts of the Illawarra and came to the market very late (1979). It helped that i98fm was heavily advertised on WIN, also.

2 Likes

From what I read, 2 Double O’s AM masts were located near Dapto, whereas 2WL’s AM masts (which are still there, broadcasting Sky Sports Radio) were at Windang, which is a more coastal location. This allowed 2WL’s signal to travel a fair distance along the NSW coast during the day.

And still does to this day, judging from when I last watched WIN whilst holidaying at Jervis Bay last month.

Even though less people watched WIN since its affiliation switch from Nine to 10 in July 2016, i98 still rated comfortably ahead of Wave FM, in which they were ahead by just over 8% in the 2019 radio ratings survey for Wollongong.

1 Like

Yes, I remember an early sweeper saying “There’s a new WAVE sweeping the Illawarra, 96.5 2WL WAVE FM” .

And also whenever callers rang in, at the end of the call, the announcer would say “Give us a wave” and the listener would say “WAVE FM”.

4 Likes

I remember that too @Radiohead .

1 Like

From Monday 3rd May, Sami Lukas, former Today Show weather presenter back in the early-mid 2000s, is joining Wave FM breakfast, filling in for Jade Tonta, who continues her maternity leave. She replaces Meshel Laurie, who had filled in since February.

Source: http://grantbroadcasters.com.au/news/193-sami-lukis-returns-to-the-mic-at-wave-fm-96-5

5 Likes

Significantly cheaper talent cost than Meshel.

1 Like

Pretty impressive how Grants/Wave can bring bigger talent in as fill ins than the regular presenter themselves.

If Meshel or Sami were full time in the Gong, it wouldn’t be a bad listen & would be great competition for i98.

1 Like

How was the reception of 91.7 FM (2ST) from your personal experience? Did it really only come into good reception around the Kiama Bends?

I get good 2ST reception along the coast through Kiama and Shellharbour but it tends to start dropping out around Warrawong. Further west along the highway it drops out around Albion Park Rail. Haven’t listened to Wave FM or i98 for decades. I’ve always stuck to WS, Smooth and Triple M when down that way visiting relatives but find myself tuning to 91.7 now that reception has improved. The Sydney stations have become boring and repetitive so the wider variety in the 2ST playlist is a welcome change.

5 Likes

I agree. I’m lucky that I can get 2ST very well at my home near Campbelltown via 102.9 from Bowral, which its signal is well received across much of Sydney on a good car radio.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much my experience too, it is significantly worse along the Princes Hwy due to the mountains blocking the immediate signal path. Not as bad on the eastern side of the lake around Windang etc.

I wonder when 2ST 88.5 Kiama will be activated, that is if the station still feels the need for it?

1 Like

I’ll be surprised if they don’t… 2ST reception in Kiama itself isn’t great, even in the car, and it just might seep into southern areas of Wollongong like Albion Park a bit better too.

1 Like