Radio DX Equipment

When I was in Melbourne a few weeks ago I bought this radio as it was on special at the time ($79).

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/sangean-dpr-76-dab-plus-fm-portable-radio-ink-blue.html

Unfortunately it’s the least impressive Sangean radio I’ve owned. Selectivity isn’t as good and its showing spurs that don’t exist on other radios eg. 2HD on 89.5, Star 104.5 on 103.4, even WSM is appearing on 100.7!

It uses the same software as the Pure radios, which I think is part of the problem. I preferred the older ones with the LCD display. The colour screen is hard to read in daylight too.

Sadly a rubbish model radio, return for a refund?

I bought it nearly a month ago now, so probably a bit late for that.

It works fine in most respects, just some shortcomings/idiosyncrasies with it.

Would definitely try returning it, why retain a product you’re not completely happy with? The product quality doesn’t match your expectation.

Interesting guide for the TEF radios out there
https://tef.noobish.eu/

4 Likes

Anyone tried using something like this to improve DX performance?

Doesn’t say which band it’s designed for eg. AM or FM etc, but may be something that works across all?

1 Like

This page has been updated again.
Now with Coupons until April 5th & other change per Discord post.
https://tef.noobish.eu/

3 Likes

got mine last night on Aliexpress for $96.50 but then I tried to send a link to @gordo92 and it went up to $101.50 no idea how that happened

5 Likes

Paid the same as you with the link above as the link you gave went up to $120

3 Likes

Jesus… man sorry bout that aye

2 Likes

Meh shit happens

2 Likes

Must be an aliexpress thing. My plan is to set mine up as a server so people can check the GC FM and Brisbane FM from my location. Smiley faces included

7 Likes

Ordered one a couple of weeks ago, looks like it’s gone on a nice tour of Mainland China but not much further…

4 Likes

Just wondering if the TEF Radio is capable of AM Stereo if it was added to the firmware?

2 Likes

Answer appears to be no. I did a search of their chats and found

That’s more of a TEF limitation rather than ESP32

So in other words, it makes no difference how you program the ESP32 board if it’s a TEF6686 limitation. There’s also no mention of AM stereo in the specs.

Come to think of it, I’m curious as to why, hopefully someone here is knowledgeable enough with AM stereo. With FM stereo it seems as long as you can capture the full bandwidth, it’s fairly straight forward to decode stereo, so what makes AM so different?

2 Likes

It also only does 4KHz of audio on AM aswell which sounds kind of crappy, the radio shows 8khz but this is referring to 8KHz total bandwidth

2 Likes

Yeah that disappointed me when I tried it on AM too, why not let it go super-wide? Doesn’t strike me as much of a unit for AM reception really…

2 Likes

Agree, AM on mine is awful, i will try a different antenna.

2 Likes

Noticed the AM isn’t to bad when your holding the unit, but let go of the unit and it is crap, guessing it is a lack of counterpoise or grounding issue

2 Likes

So what are people using for antennas on top of their TEF radio, I just broke mine at the little white plastic bit at the bottom :frowning:

2 Likes