Radio DX Equipment

Looks like the instructions are from Page 25 on this manual SANGEAN Electronics│The leading radio brand in Taiwan

The site to register on is https://smartradio.frontier-nuvola.net/

The stream for SWR is http://198.74.51.37:9318/stream

2 Likes

Thanks @Petarkco. I will try it out.

Interesting I got two devices. The Sangean does not like the Default stream. I though SWR sounded better these days. Its now 96k. :slight_smile:. The added stations is not appearing yet on the Sangean will play a bit more with it.

Just an update ;

I can add personal streams but I can’t see them on both my devices. Anyone had any luck with this? I know I can get this to work with a smart speaker etc but that isn’t as fun :slight_smile:.

The bush internet radio uses Undok as you can see no added favourites (neither does the Sangean). Anyone else have this issue?

The favourites work though.

2 Likes

I recently bought a Degen DE1103. I find this receiver is ok but…has some serious flaws

1. awkward to save frequencies to memory - this function has been poorly implemented
  2. slow to enact some functions (should be instantaneous)
  3. suffers horrible overload/harmonics on FM
  4. can’t change the tuning steps from 25khz (for FM) whereas the option to change to 100khz would have been nice
  5. no RDS function
  6. doesn’t save volume level, starts on high every time (if you remove the batteries after use)
  7. The soft mute on the MW band is annoying

The Sangeans & Tecsuns portables are better options

2 Likes

Good to know, and a shame given the DE1103 looks like it would be a good radio.

1 Like

Get a refund or put it on the market for a higher price than what you bought it for.

Reads like a total lemon.

its not a total lemon just not as good as other chinese digital portables out there

This is a lot of fun. Is there any equivalent for FM radio? It great to listen to AM radio online, like this.

1 Like

Yes if anyone knows of one I would be keen to know.

Most of the SDR’s on Global Tuners (www.globaltuners.com) allow for FM use - some in the US even have the HD-2, HD-3 etc. functions!

4 Likes

Now here is a real radio. No footy on 2BL 702 no issues, tune into 549 am 2CR. Who needs an app or FM radio. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Though in the evenings, night fade was an issue at times, even on a blowtorch like 549.

2 Likes

My new Tecsun PL-368 SSB receiver just arrived at my door! I am yet to test it out. I will post some results here later. First thing I’ve noticed is that it is pretty small and lightweight.

4 Likes
3 Likes

What is a discone antenna?

1 Like

Looks like it’s meant to be ultra wideband. https://www.tecsunradios.com.au/store/product/discone-ultra-wideband-antenna/

2 Likes

I call them ‘dodgy discones’. They really aren’t much chop for FM- worse than a dipole. But since they are a ‘Jack of all trades/master of none’ antenna, they are common on GlobalTuners etc.

2 Likes

Yes,my thoughts exactly.

The wider the bandwidth that it claims to cover, the worse it’s likely to be compared to other antennas that cover a narrower bandwidth on that area of the spectrum.

2 Likes

I always chuckle when I see one installed on a house or commercial building.

They don’t look very durable either, those angled elements are just asking to be blown off in a storm.

2 Likes