Radio Data System (RDS)

Whatever it was, Lonnie FM on the Scottsdale AM. They’ve reverted to 7SD now. Unsure why they piped in LA FM, what was the story?

Not sure, did 7SD revert to a local breakfast show or is it still simulcasting LAFM programming?

Receiving Triple M 4RGK relay at Gladstone tonight with RDS and can see that it has AF with the main Rockhampton station.

1 Like

Also noticed for the first time that Breeze 92.1 has AF with 100.6.

Rebel 90.5 now also has AF with 99.4 and 93.7

1 Like

88.9 would probably also be included in Breeze’s AF too?

1 Like

Strangely not.

Re RDS - what is the explanation behind apparently different thresholds for detection of RDS. What prompts the question is 93.9 Hitz at Bundaberg. I had thought that the station had switched off the RDS but during a very intense opening yesterday it suddenly kicked in, and even then just (the opening was so good that 20w Kix on 97.1 had perfect reception). Prior to that, despite perfect wide band reception there was nothing. By contrast RDS was present on Sea FM 93.1 and even Gladstone was coming in at the same time with a very scratchy sound but immediate detection and display of RDS.

1 Like

Probably depends on the injection level set by the engineer in the equipment generating the RDS carrier.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve noticed during tropo that my Sangean DRP-67 can take a while to resolve RDS on WAVE and i98, but a weaker Power FM on 94.9 will show RDS almost straightaway.

May also depend on the receiver too.

I also noted the lack of RDS from Hitz during a strong Sporadic-E opening into Cooma over the Silly Season. Varying injection levels, as the esteemed poster pointed out above, are the most likely explanation.

Yeah I’ve noticed the RDS changed to Breeze92 too. Although when I preset it the name is BreezeGC

1 Like

There is more at play then just injection levels and signal reception level although they are a big factor the other is the Groups being sent out… Broadcasters that send out traffic info are generally slower to update due to the group sequence then broadcasters who only send out 0A and 2A (PS and RT)

1 Like

If KIX Bundaberg on 97.1 is running its TOC power of 20w ill eat my hat

With regards to hitz… Usually when RDS is hard to decode even with strong signal its can be due to either 2 reasons… 1) the Total Mod is too high 2) the RDS carrier is not sync’d to the pilot

Id probably guess both!

1 Like

There is also Encore FM @ 20w from the same site? KIX definitely seems to perform better.

http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/assignment_search.lookup?pEFL_ID=1597320

I dont see Encore FM? just the community, Radio TAB, KIX and HITZ

and thats 20watts EIRP

http://www.encore963fm.org.au/

Take a closer look… its 200watts EIRP… they are at a different site… there are a few up the hummock

1 Like

I can’t receive 96.3 as well as 97.1 despite the listed power difference - perhaps because it is vertical.

My point exactly! realistically… you should receive 96.3 @ 200 watts vertical better then 97.1 @ 20watts Mixed!!

1 Like

Something that I noticed a couple of days ago and as of last night (confirmed with @SydneyCityTV) is that WSFM’s RDS time is completely off.

There was a post back in August last year about WSFM’s RDS time being wrong, & it was making their alarm time wrong.

I’ve got a feeling there was a post even back before then, about the WSFM RDS time being wrong too?

Obviously an issue there, because the time being encoded in the RDS, is usually linked to a time server, be-it internet based, or a GPS locked time server, at the studio/TX site.