Radio Data System (RDS)

Oh okay, I haven’t been here for about 12 months, so it must’ve been pretty recent when you we’re here. I should imagine Shepparton would have happened around the same time.

2 Likes

Shepparton was still MMM95.3 in May.

1 Like

Huh, I would’ve thought that it was one person looking after it all from Albury. As far as I’m aware, there’s not a whole lot of staff at Shepparton.

2 Likes

Maybe they purposely did it that way at the time so it was easier for those around Wangaratta or Benalla to tell which Triple M they had their radio on? But seems like they’ve moved away from that. Bendigo and Shepparton potentially have more of an issue since the frequencies are also similar (93.5 and 95.3), but at least they (AFAIK) still have the MMM BGO station name on 93.5.

Up here in Newcastle, we have the same issue with both Newcastle and Central Coast Triple M’s having the same RDS station name Triple M and there is in reality a significant overlap between the 2 areas where both can be clearly heard. Would much prefer a clear differentiation between the 2 on screen.

2 Likes

Yep, still MMM BGO as of January this year anyway. I know this won’t be hugely popular but I prefer just “Triple M” to MMMFrequency and especially MMM Region Code. I hate seeing “MMM BGO” personally

2 Likes

Then you certainly won’t like Port Macquarie’s application of it … MMM MNC… (Mid North Coast).

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s really not a great solution. Is Coffs Harbour just “Triple M”

2 Likes

It is now I believe…

Had alternating text (yuk yuk) for a while though … Triple M / Coffs / Coast.

Before that I think was 106.3 MMM.

2 Likes

I mentioned a while back that 88.9 Braidwood is putting scrolling info in the station name field…here’s proof.

3 Likes

Yes, Coffs is just “Triple M”

1 Like

Was the alternating text really necessary? There aren’t any other M’s (apart from “MNC”) normally receivable around there as far as I’m aware. But I haven’t been to Coffs so I can’t say for sure.

3 Likes

I agree, wasn’t necessary.

There’s only the 2 Triple M stations up that way, though Port Macquarie’s can be heard on both 100.7 and 106.7 Kempsey (which has good reception into Coffs, as it’s TX is up near Nambucca Heads).

2 Likes

At risk of hammering the point home, this was definitely the case when I last saw in February. Hit91.9 is, unsurprisingly, hit91.9

2 Likes

RDS decode this morning on Vision Christian 93.7, Mount Barker WA.

With alternating RT - Vision Christian Radio. Connecting Faith With Life. Both with that long string of question marks after the text. The Samsung Galaxy A5 does this when it doesn’t decode properly, but this station did it every time. Something configured correctly at the TX end i wonder?

6 Likes

I don’t know of any other Vision outlet that runs RDS. Some of their other HPON FMs might do so, but I’m not within cooee of any of them.

In this instance, perhaps WA isn’t the ‘Wait Awhile’ state ;).

6 Likes

Yeah I don’t know of any others either.

Just looked this station up on their website. They where the 16th on air in the Vision network, back in 2001. 5kw station. Who knows, they may have had their transmission equipment donated over time or they may have a Ham radio enthusiast in the local church to enable RDS technology.

The TX is on the same hill as what the ABC call Southern Agricultural. Heard in Bunbury early today via some strong south coast tropo.

3 Likes

A couple of the LPONs around QLD run RDS. Noticed 87.8 around the Logan area had it the other weekend, as did an 87.6 closer to the city. Displays ‘Vision’ as the station name and Religion as the PTY

4 Likes

Thanks egg man- I haven’t ever seen RDS on a Vision LPON via Es. I know a few RadioTAB outlets run RDS in the Scumshine State.

2 Likes

Hit Mid North Coast (102.3 and 105.1) both have Now Playing info stuck on “Love The Way You Lie - Eminen feat Rihanna” all day.

105.1 still using the annoying Hit / Network dynamic station name.

No RDS changes up here from when I was last here 6 months ago.

3 Likes

Noticed the other day that 97.3 Brisbane did not have RDS, and this was still the case this afternoon. Is there an issue with the TX up there? Or maybe they’re on backup? Weird that a metro commercial that has had it for years doesn’t for an extended period

3 Likes