Radio Data System (RDS)

It will be correct at least once a day :slight_smile:

8 Likes

It’s now been replaced with static WSFM text.
So still not fixed.

But interestingly Song info is still working on DAB.

2 Likes

Some time late today the usual RT restored with song info.
But RT stuck with ‘Just Played’ song info showing Police’s - Every Breath You Take…

3 Likes

I noticed last night that WS (and KIIS) have shifted back to Gore Hill.
This may have been a TX related issue (as it was working on DAB).

Song info also wasn’t working on KIIS on Wednesday either, but I think it was earlier in the week when WS’s wasn’t.

2 Likes

Seams that KIIS RT stuck on: Sydney’s #1 Hit Music Station, KIIS 1065

I’m not sure of the signal differences between Artarmon & Gore Hill here.

1 Like

Both stations moved to Gore Hill on Wednesday due to PIE Rack works at Artarmon being done.

4 Likes

On my Teccy, the signal meter typically shows a max strength of 42db when from Artarmon, but “only” 35db when from Gore Hill. This applies equally to WS, KIIS, 2DAY and MMM. The difference in strength probably won’t be as great within Sydney metro.

I say “only” as 35db is still good enough for static free stereo sound and instant RDS decoding on thus equipped radios, though there are more nulls where this can’t be achieved.

3 Likes

Normal RDS RT has now returned to KIIS & WS FM.
If the TXions have now returned to Artarmon then I don’t see any
difference in signal levels here in Sydney between this morning
& now with both stations.
Signal level averages around -55dBm with music on SDR Console here.

Looking at ACMA records for Artarmon ‘looks’(?) like KIIS & WSFM sharing same antenna at 170m antenna height. Site height 107m ASL
Whereas at Gore Hill, when active, looks like separate antennas. 106.5 lists antenna height of 141m, whereas 101.7 is 170m. Gore Hill site height lower at 95m ASL.

How ACMA records relate to in practice re powers & bearings between the two sites etc I don’t know, but site height differences must be significant enough to note the signal level differences up there :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks!

Just checked my radio, looks like they are still at Gore Hill, as well as 2Day and Triple M.

From @RFBurns has said, the Gore Hill TX used at various times by WS, KIIS, 2DAY and MMM is limited in ERP power by the input antenna. Smooth and Nova, whilst also at Gore Hill, use a different antenna.

4 Likes

When I left work yesterday afternoon, yes both ARN & both SCA stations were at Gore Hill.

Artarmon Commercial FM antenna is at 172m approx. centre, & all services can operate at full power of 20kW TX out.

Gore Hill has 2 main FM antennas for commercials & nationals, I’m not entirely sure on the configuration, but I think the top one is main for everything, & the bottom is backup for everything?

Nova & Smooth at Gore Hill can operate at full TX power of 20kW, (Nova have 2 x 10kW TX’s combined), (Smooth have 2 x 20kW standalone TX’s, 1 main, 1 alternate).

Because SCA & ARN have an alternate site in Artarmon, & due to power limitations into the Gore Hill Antennas, SCA & ARN only operate at 15kW full TX power. All 4 are 1 standalone 15kW TX at Gore Hill.

Antenna height ASL & TX power out, therefore ERP (& coverage), from either site should be negliable difference across the licence area, @Radiohead up here in Newcastle will notice some small difference.

ACMA records are maximum permitted heights & ERP’s of licence, there’s nothing stopping any station operating at less than the maximum licence conditions either temporarily or permanently.

5 Likes

Can confirm the 2EAR translator at Narooma on 102.9 has RDS.

4 Likes

Are they using AF on 102.9 or 107.5 RDS?
Also is 102.9 tx transmitting in stereo yet?

2 Likes

I suspect 106.7 3HOT FM is using Dynamic PS - unfortunately.
Someone may like to confirm.

PI code=0000 so likely RDS won’t be displayed on some radios.
PTY: Easy Listening
Has RT

3 Likes

Some radios ( older ones ) will mute the audio as it sees it as invalid.

4 Likes

Sorry- can’t answer that. I don’t think my radio is equipped for it…

As for stereo- didn’t really pay attention long enough! Will make sure to check it on my next trip down there, whenever that will be…

Off topic, but the firies did an amazing job down there. There are many houses that are untouched despite being in the middle of the conflagration. Most of Mogo is in fact still intact, despite media reports to the contrary. The damage was mostly on the northern side of town.

4 Likes

If you want to do some signal strength testing in Sydney & see how much (if any) difference in strength you have, & what it makes to the RDS, ARN are both at Gore Hill & SCA are both at Artarmon today, though I don’t know how long it will stay that way, I have no control over who TX’s from where & when?

4 Likes

Thanks @RFBurns.
I checked late yesterday arvo & briefly just now.
I can’t really see a diff in music modulation signal levels with the SDR between all signals. Although 2DAY spectrum looks a little different to the others in that when music playing the level about 35kHz either side of carrier seams higher compared to centre frequency level. Could be due to a little multipath…, but not significant.
As for RDS - all decode well. Looking at the MPX spectrum looks like Triple M has a nice or the best 57kHz signal separation from the rest of modulated spectra compared to the other three. Maybe 2DAY FM has the worst.

I should add that I’m not using a resonate FM antenna (VHF TV antenna), so that could effect receiving results.

Thanks for letting me know.

3 Likes

Yes, I checked last night, and 2DAY and 2MMM were still at Artarmon and WS and KIIS stil at Gore Hil based on the signal meter on my Tecsun radio

4 Likes

Triple M in Shepparton and Albury have changed their RDS.

They used to have a PS of “MMM95.3” and “105.7MMM” respectively. They are both now “Triple M”

During ad breaks, they show “Goulburn Valley’s Greatest Hits” and “The Border’s 105.7 Triple M” I think they both used to show “Music That Makes You Feel Good”

Bendigo was unchanged when I was there a few weeks ago.

4 Likes

When I was down in Albury in May last year, it was Triple M back then, so perhaps that change isn’t as recent as the Shepparton one?

1 Like