Radio Data System (RDS)

It seems they don’t know how to use it (RDS).

3 Likes

This RDS snapshot of RAM FM 103.3 Goulburn NSW.

PI Code: 0200 Another of those troublesome leading zero RDS PI code stations.

Also another station with incorrect time set.

I think the RT is set permanently to their website address.

4 Likes

Noted ABC Classic FM Sydney now providing artist / title info in their RT.
They provide the artist/composer name with their surname first, then comma, then first name followed by - composition/music title.

Not sure how long this has been in place.

2 Likes

I think it’s been like for a fair while now…? A couple of years I think…?

3 Likes

Nova 96.9 have turned off their RDS, or they are having issues with it.
Hifi just displaying frequency only.

3 Likes

Was working yesterday arvo & now this morning. Probably some tech work or temporary mishap.

3 Likes

I am still not receiving it at my location

1 Like

WSFM pushing the wrong time:
(Screenshotted at 11:48am).

So is KIIS:

And Smooth:

Exactly why I turn off auto-adjusting time via CT on my car stereo.

2 Likes

WSFM & KIIS were having issues with their RDS, I’m not sure if they’re totally fixed yet, but I’ve just let the ARN Tech know.

3 Likes

Currently: WSFM & Smooth are back on correct time.
All Sydney FM RDS stations with CT were broadcasting correct time in December. Some
stations periodically or occasionally need prodding to get their time fixed.

Thanks for that :slight_smile:
From memory getting the CT fixed on KIIS requires a 3rd party company for support/fix - it always takes longer to remedy CT on KIIS compared to WSFM.
I suspect it might be the SUNA Traffic people responsible for fix due to traffic (TP) RDS carried on KIIS, but I’m postulating here…

I wish all RDS CT stations would sync to Internet time.
Some station’s RDS CT slips badly on assumed internal clocks. The RDS specification makes mention that stations should turn off CT if they can’t ensure CT remains accurate.

And of course Smooth FM just now are broadcasting the song ‘Time’ by Culture Club - lol

2 Likes

Based on my reception notes, it looks like WS and KIIS may have been switched back over to the Artarmon TX, with 2Day/MMM moved to Gore Hill… I recall something similar happened last time KIIS had RDS issues.

2 Likes

Still no RDS on Nova 969, all others are fine apart from the minor issues mentioned in previous posts.

3 Likes

Might be a local reception/interference issue you are having?
Can’t see any obvious RDS subcarrier level changes or RDS PI or other group changes for Nova.

1 Like

I’m not getting RDS ether but my signal isn’t great.

Smooth is not for me:

Nor WSFM:

2 Likes

Exactly right, well done with that theory. :+1:

6 Likes

You’re right, WS & KIIS moved back to Artarmon to test the new PIE rack configuration, & the RDS (after they had trouble with it at Artarmon).

2DAY & Triple M switched back to Gore Hill, because they had an audio issue at the studio & the backup tape failed at Artarmon, so it auto switched to Gore Hill.

5 Likes

Can I ask what software you are using to decode RDS because something’s
not right your end. Is your PC using local time or UTC? Need clean signal & very high signal quality & bandwidth opened up sufficiently to decode RDS correctly.
I’ve checked CT with SDR Console & RDS Spy & they show time & date correctly for Nova, WSFM (only 4 second error) & Smooth just minutes ago.
KIIS CT/date is still incorrect.

Also with some stations with high modulation levels the RDS subcarrier can get near threshold levels especially when signal quality at receiving end not good & this can result in corrupted date/time. Better decodes happen during silence or low modulation with RDS. Don’t know what else to suggest at this stage…

You can find other Sydney RDS CT stations to try on the ‘Australian RDS List’ at very top of this thread.

1 Like

Weird I get very strong signal with my setup for all the Sydney fm stations, and the signal is very clear with no interference on Nova 96.9.

2 Likes

New RDS addition here in Newcastle!

There doesn’t seem to be any sub text info yet.

Certainly no song info.

4 Likes

Might not be finished setting up yet?

Super Tech Steve, from Hope 103.2 dropped in during the week to help install equipment & set it up, while he’s on holidays up here in the region.

No rest for a broadcast tech.

5 Likes