Radio Data System (RDS)

another video of the 2TVR RDS

4 Likes

@ozbark You might want to let them know at Bay FM Redlands:

4 Likes

Though at least that is alternating text than scrolling text. Tank FM Kempsey is another one that uses alternate text, something like

TANK FM
KEMPSEY
Time

3 Likes

They’re all terrible to me. TANK is a source of a great amusement when driving on the freeway between the cities.

2 Likes

Agree.

Even the Aunty is not immune.

ABC
Classic
FM

In Melbourne, Adelaide and Canberra.

5 Likes

Saw this on a drive back from Melbourne last week, vile.

4 Likes

Yes PS should always be static. Imo even the scrolling text should be clutter free. Eg song title or positioner only, no ads etc

3 Likes

Travelling in Northern NSW and the dearth of stations using RDS is very evident here, there is nothing between Dubbo and Goondiwindi/Tenterfield which has it

Noticed also that Breeze 102.5 Tenterfield does not have RDS while Rebel 93.7 does, I thought they both did previously??

And also the Hit/MMM relays in Stanthorpe are equipped with it now, as were the Rebel/Breeze and TEN FM stations (they have for a little while now). Only leaves the 4WK/4AK repeaters to catch up and all services here are covered - what are you doing @gordo92 :grin:

4 Likes

Both Breeze stations had it in November and I’m sure they had AF as well.

1 Like

That’s what I thought too, though the radio in this car doesn’t do AF so couldn’t tell that anyway. A fault at Mt Mackenzie in recent times maybe? Don’t think it was receiver error as Rebel and Ten FM both had it clearly working

3 Likes

I have previously received RDS from 102.5

4 Likes

Sometimes car radios have trouble reading the RDS for whatever reason. I found that with Hit Wagga the other day; it did eventually decode though.

3 Likes

Funny you mention that, I drove around Wagga territory twice in the past two weeks and never got 93.1 to decode RDS either, I just presumed I didn’t have enough signal or it wasn’t there. By contrast, 105.9 Orange and 99.7 Griffith both decodes quite well.

I do drive a Lancer, so maybe I have this Mitsubishi issue I’ve heard talked about?

3 Likes

Maybe the injection levels are set really low? The signal absolutely blasts in to Cabramurra where I was receiving it; you even get the 10 watt 2AAA repeater on 107.9 there.

3 Likes

Meh I will get there eventually :wink: been suggesting the idea of RDS for all the FM stations to make them more identifiable on the FM dial for sometime, but other tasks get in the way sadly.
I don’t think it would take much to buy some cheap little RDS encoders and inject some RDS into the Crown TX on the mountain in Stanthorpe

5 Likes

I agree, I think it would be great for Super Rsdio Network to have this. And to be honest, it’s probably not a great look for them to not have it when most of their competitors do.

2 Likes

I’m sure you will get there eventually. Plenty has happened since you’ve begun there.

3 Likes

Interestingly, I tried again today and it came in just fine, exactly as you captured previously. Don’t know what happened yesterday…

4 Likes

it could also be … too MUCH injection… seen this before

4 Likes

Triple M Sydney RDS subtext currently stuck on

Legs - ZZ Top

As I think that was the last song on “Rock Song Dedications” tonight, which was about 30 mins ago.

1 Like