Radio Data System (RDS)

Also stuck on that song on RadioApp.

Finally been fixed.

Possibly playout software jammed / crashed.

And all your other markets?

None of the others are running Zetta yet I believe.

That’s right. I monitor them all daily on my scada system and if they freeze up, get it fixed.

2 Likes

Rockhampton community station RDS received this morning

4US

Text

2 Likes

Thanks!

Did you see RDS on Hit, Triple M or 4YOU from Rocky? If so, do any of them do Song info?

Hit107.9 from today’s opening (didn’t notice if it has song info, but every other hit station I can receives does)

hit 1079

The other two are blocked by local stations.

1 Like

Thanks, ah yes, I forgot about 4OUR and 4ABC Wide Bay.

1 Like

Exactly - 4US faced some competition as well from hot100.7 Darling Downs but not that was at right angles so it was able to come out over the top.

2 Likes

Hit and Triple M both do

2 Likes

Are there any stations in Melbourne sending out active Traffic Information and AF?

I know Fox does but nothing will come up.

Melbourne has no alternate frequencies, save for the few inner-city relays which are SFNs anyway.

Last time I checked, KIIS, Gold and Fox were the three with traffic information, this may have changed however.

2 Likes

Weird that nothing is coming up on the car display for the TI.

Just saw that it was Encrypted, so maybe that’s the answer.

I always thought those Traffic Programs were just data streams that were specifically for GPS units to get their real time data?

Though many of the newer GPS units now require an internet connection via smart phone to get live traffic data.

1 Like

Would be interesting to catch the data streams and view via computer than how it’s interpreted by GPS.

Sounds very clunky for the GPS to require smart phone internet connection. Radio’s advantage continues of being free, broadcast to all and no batteries required for a phone.

@radioengineer during his time on the Sunshine Coast, made mention of Hot 91’s RDS data being congested with traffic info. Without searching, can’t remember if that was what he was referring to or text that displays on RDS receivers.

1 Like

There’s two types of traffic data on RDS. One is RDS TMC – ‘Traffic Message Channel’. This sends computer-readable data about traffic to compatible navigation devices. In Australia, this service is encrypted, though this isn’t necessarily the case in other countries.

The other is the TA/TP flag. TP stands for ‘Traffic Programme’. This indicates that the station has traffic reports (like the ones you usually hear on the hour, spoken by the newsreader). TA is ‘Traffic Announcement’. This indicates to the radio that the traffic report is currently being read out on air. So in summary, the ‘TP’ flag is always on, but the ‘TA’ flag on comes on when a traffic report is being read out.

This is how TA/TP is supposed to work – if you have the TP option activated on your car radio and you’re listening to a non-radio source (e.g. Bluetooth, CD, etc.), the radio will monitor the station with the TP flag and automatically switch over to the traffic report when it is being broadcast on the FM radio station. It would then automatically switch back to your Bluetooth, CD, etc. source once the traffic announcement is over.

I don’t think TA/TP is properly utilised by any station in Australia. I assume the reason for this is that they’d want you to listen to their station all the time – not just for their traffic reports. I would think that TA/TP would more likely be utilised by broadcasters that are less sensitive to ratings/profits (e.g. government-owned broadcasters). Not that the ABC here uses TA/TP.

Edit: Here’s a video of how TA/TP is supposed to work (in French):

The person is listening to a Green Day CD which is paused when the traffic announcement comes on, the radio switches to the traffic report automatically and then resumes playing the Green Day CD when it’s finished.

1 Like

This has already been done: Experiment: Sydney WFM Broadcast RDS (TMC, RT+) & ACS Audio | Gough's Tech Zone

1 Like

Here are a couple of examples of traffic info in RDS logs from sister station MIX FM

12:09:52 Maroochy 25c Noosa 25c Rain:20%
12:10:03 Bruce Hwy Burpengary East. Single vehicle Crash
12:12:32 LOCKED AWAY - R CITY

03:13:33 Maroochy 14c Noosa 15c Rain:20%
03:13:52 Bruce Hwy Burpengary Crash South is CLEARED
03:14:00 Have a great weekend! - MixFM team

Bush Fire
19:47:39 Everything Sunshine Coast
19:47:47 Residents are advised that if their plan is to
19:47:58 relocate or they do not have a plan then
19:48:09 they are advised to relocate now.
19:48:19 MELT WITH YOU - MODERN ENGLISH
19:48:39 UPDATE: Bushfire WATCH and ACT
19:48:50 for #Coolum (Sunshine Coast)
19:48:58 as at 6.15pm Fri 20 Jan
19:49:07 Everything Sunshine Coast

1 Like