Radio Data System (RDS)

Thanks, Cranky Kong- I must admit sometimes I can’t be bothered checking the ACMA data! The signals of both 1CMS (Ethnic Broadcasters Council) and Artsound are much poorer here now than they were when they transmitted from Black Mountain. I rarely heard 1WAY (Canberra Christian Radio) when it was on Black Mountain, but now it’s there with a strong signal most days of the year. I think they changed the polarisation from vertical to mixed/horizontal when they moved to Poppet Hill, but why are they now stronger than 1CMS and Artsound?

By the way, you posted 1WAY’s data twice; the data for the Artsound licence are here. Actually, I notice that the second 1WAY data are for a transmitter at Isaacs Ridge which is near Mount Mugga. This, however, is for the Tuggeranong service on 94.3 MHz.

1 Like

Looks like JOY 94.9 has full RDS now!

1 Like

Oh joy! Do you mean with song playing info as well?

Yup.

1 Like

There is a bit of enhancement about in the Newcastle to Wollongong region right now.

Good enough for me to get RDS on SWR FM Blacktown… and discover that they have “Now Playing” title and artist info!

That’s a great effort from a suburban community radio station!

1 Like

Yeah, SWR FM have had that for a while now. @matt86 would know more.

1 Like

Yeah the now playing track info was added in May this year shortly after the change to “Swr 999”.
Swr’s had Rds since about 2009 but RT was previously just a static message.

RT changes between “Swr Triple 9 Sydney’s West” and “On Now: Artist - Title”

@Radiohead well done getting that from Newcastle.

1 Like

@matt86 @dxnerd @Radiohead Yes. It receives artist and track info from the automation system

1 Like

Has the C91.3 RDS disappeared?

It wasn’t there when I was in western Sydney on Saturday, and tonight with a bit of enhancement about here south of Newcastle, C91,3 was in stereo, but still no RDS?

Yes, it has.

It’s unbelievable to think that a sub-metro community radio station (SWR 999) has RDS, complete with Now Playing info, yet a commercial radio station that broadcasts on the edge of Sydney (C91.3, not The Edge (see where I was going with this? :wink: )) doesn’t have it. What a bizarre situation! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Hey guys - got a weird issue with RDS.

My home stereos etc do the song/artist for KO and Hit 106.9 but my vehicle (Honda CR-V 2016) only shows the station and frequency.

Yet 2NUR’s RDS comes through perfectly.

Any ideas?

Ta.

Do you normally need to go into the menu, & select a different screen in the car, for song/artist?

Ask Ross at work, I’m pretty sure he looks after 2NUR engineering too, & 2NUR’s RDS is quite strange sometimes.

I’ve had 2NUR scrolling song/artist, along with station name in the same line before, i.e. not in Radio Text where it’s supposed to be, but in the station ID (PS Text), & that’s not supposed to be even possible?

No, the information pops up and scrolls automatically on 2NUR, right next to its name and frequency.

Cheers, I’ll have a chat to Ross next time I see him.

“Now Playing” RDS seems to be more problematic for networked programs.
Tonight on “Ash London Live” on the HIT Network, only 1 of 3 stations that I can receive RDS for this show on seems to have this working properly.

2DAY FM - it’s been stuck on “PYT (Pretty Young Thing) - John Gibbons” all night I think.
Hit 106.9 - no song/title info at all - just static “Hits And School” text
SEA FM 101.3 - this is the only station that seems to have this working properly.

Though over on the “Greatest Years In Music”, I’m pleased to report song info is working properly on both KOFM and 2GO

RDS Now Playing is one thing that SCA haven’t been able to get right on any of their Zetta stations!

Teething problems I’m sure, and hopefully once they start to get on top of all their new installations we will see some consistency with NP.

1 Like

I have it working fine in Cairns…

1 Like

Mix FM Sunshine Coast’s RDS is stuck on “Finally” by Cece Peniston. Must be something in that song that causes it to lock up as this is the 3rd time now its happened on that song!

2 Likes

It must be the lyrics…

Finally it has happened to me right in front of my face
(that the RDS has got stuck)

Yes - all day today!

Still showing this morning

1 Like