Radio Data System (RDS)

That’s good to know!

I’m heading up the Pacific Hwy to QLD next week, so I’ll check on all of Taree, Port Macquarie, Kempsey, Coffs and Grafton and post here which of these have RDS.

2 Likes

Not sure if those will have been done yet…
Musselbrook, Tamworth, Glenn Innes, Inverell, Armidale, Bathurst, Orange, Parkes, Mt Dowe and maybe Wagga have been done that I know of.

1 Like

Coffs 107.1 has it

4 Likes

None at Nowra or Goulburn yet or maybe the signal of those two are not strong enough for RDS.

2 Likes

Port Macq , Taree, Grafton turned on also.

3 Likes

So now we have the first station on Mt Dowe to have RDS!

2 Likes

Really? Wow. I’m staggered that no one else has it switched on up there.

2 Likes

If I recall correctly the only other stations are ABC (dont seem to use RDS outside of Cap Cities) and SRN (Chief engineer who seems to dislike RDS)

So yeah not many others technically advanced operators in the mountain

5 Likes

And community station MAX FM Narrabri (91.3)… they didn’t have RDS when I was last up there in August last year.

In Port Macquarie now, so far, can confirm both SKY Taree 105.7 and Port Macquarie 92.7 have RDS (both as below).

No other RDS changes up here to report. Other than maybe the odd choice of PTY code of “Travel” for 2WAY FM as below

And @Mechsta this may be of interest to you, but discovered that the 2BBB PI code must be the same as 100.3 Braidwood as ABC 666 first appeared when i tuned to 93.3.

2 Likes

This Morning, I did see 103.7 Nowra having RDS with display name being the same as what Radiohead had posted “SkyRacn”

3 Likes

I tentatively had earlier added Braidwood 100.3 with a PI code of FFFF, I’ll ink that one in now :+1:. I know 2BBB definitely uses an “equipment default” PI code of FFFF.
The RDS PI value of FFFF is another of those PI codes that a small minority of vehicles can’t decode RDS & ideally this PI code ‘should’ be changed.
At least 10 transmitters across Australia & NZ are using FFFF as a PI code.

Casey Radio 97.7 in Melbourne is also using that odd choice of PTY.
I wonder if it’s because the tech has got confused with which of the two systems of
PTY we use? Two systems of PTY exist. European vs Nth America, where in North America the equivalent PTY # translates as ‘Public’. We use the European PTY here in Australia.

2 Likes

I finally was able to get a better signal from Pulse FM is decode their RDS, however they are still doing a lot of overmodulation and you basically need to live next door to the transmitter to decode the RDS:

Even as close to the transmitter as I was I still couldn’t get a good read on the Radio Text.

3 Likes

Horrible isn’t it!?

1 Like

A-ha! That’s what it is. My car radio was showing a suitcase as the PTY; could not work it out :smiley: This was on my last trip up the MNC in October last year.

1 Like

A suitcase??

Geez that must have gave you a good chuckle :joy:

My i30 car radio shows a picture as the PTY. I think Braidwood FM has ‘Talk’ as it shows a talking head (not the David Byrne variety).

1 Like

I didn’t’ even think they were broadcasting an RDS signal. Obviously RDS is not possible with my dx setup, at Stanhope Gardens, but anything from Grass Carts is much weaker then the former Burralow Rd site.

How far away from the tower allowed you to decode RDS?

I tried in the Richmond near their studio without much luck, then closer to Kurrajong Hights and I was able to decode a bit, I will try and get up to the grass carts site soon so I can do a full decode.

1 Like

Can’t access the RDS spreadsheet on my tablet, but on my way up to QLD today, spotted that 2COW-FM 107.9 now has RDS - which I haven’t seen before, so this could be new? … COW-FM PTY code: Varied. No other info.

I also saw 2GF 89.5 RDS for the first time… which just leaves 90.7 as the only unconquered frequency for RDS for me…I think Airlie Beach QLD might be the only place in the country with RDS on that frequency?

3 Likes