Radio Data System (RDS)

:+1:

Quite likely that’s the case for the purpose of the exercise…?

Yeah, I reckon it’s another test. Quite likely they are using Illawara FM RDS transmitters as a test bed to identify & resolve issues before a possible wider roll-out, but I’m being speculative in suggesting this. :grin:

BTW as a general question to readers of this (RDS) thread.
Do any users of a RDS tuner or portable have such a radio that has or can have its DATE set from the RDS data CT (Clock Time) feature, for stations that send out RDS CT (Group 4A) data?

1 Like

I have a couple of Roberts that come back with the date even after a power failure so I guess that’s where they get it from.

2 Likes

The 2CN self help relays for Captains Flat (88.5) and Braidwood (100.3) seemingly have AF enabled. 100.3 added RDS in the last week or so. I was in a car the other day that automatically switched from 100.3 to 88.5 when on the ridge south of Bungendore. This might be a problem as there’s a high ridge between Captains Flat and Braidwood (Parker’s Gap) where both could be received at equal strength.

4 Likes

Back to ‘Sonshine’ PS on 98.5 Perth. Current RT messages -
Sonshine - We’re family
SMS - 0429 985 985 Web - sonshine.com.au
[Song title] by [artist]

Using groups 0A, 2A and 11A. Not sure what 11A is being used for. I couldn’t get a RT+ decode.

1 Like

I noted earlier that unusually there was no Group 3A code being transmitted in their data stream, whilst 11A was being transmitted.

Unless group 3A is being transmitted then whatever is intended to be transmitted within group 11A (usually RT+) is void.

If you get RDS SPY working tune to a station like 94.5 MIX that uses RT+ & TMC. Then view the ODA AID tab within the Group Analyzer Window. This screen shows how linkages with different RDS services occur with the various Group Code functions.

There’s several RDS stations that don’t have their RDS data streams, ref group codes, in good order or optimized. The Hit/Triple M network is one that does have their RDS act together as far as RDS Group Code transmission. 104.5 Star FM is another example of one that doesn’t.

1 Like

Thanks for the news.
They ‘may’ have AF on either or both, or none.
But both stations will have the same PI code.
Captains Flat (88.5) last noted with PI code of FFFF.
PI code FFFF is another of those troublesome PI codes
that may not display RDS info on some vehicle tuners.

There’s one or two SDR# RDS plug ins that provide AF data, else
there is RDS Spy that provides a comprehensive & reliable pic
of station’s RDS data streams if you have the interest.

2 Likes

I can’t get 100.3 good enough for RDS here (it uses vertical pol). 88.5 uses vertical pol as well (it peaks off direction) but there’s a very good signal path down the valley between Captains Flat and Bungendore, enabling RDS level reception.

2 Likes

With yesterdays thunderstorm resulting in SCA’s 2DAY & 2MMM stations switching from Artarmon to Gore Hill it’s enabled me to take another look at each station’s RDS a little closer.

If I’m not mistaken 2DAY FM at Artarmon still has a PS of: 2DayFM
Whilst at Gore Hill the PS is currently showing as: 2DAY-FM

Differences for Triple M’s current transmitter may be more difficult to pick locally.

I’ve included both of these Standby/Alternative sited RDS entries into our Australian RDS List.

In other RDS news; I suspect 88.7 2JJJ Goulburn, NSW may have static RT similar to 98.9 Illawara.

Some Australian RDS List notes that maybe helpful.

• Green Text colour indicates a recent change/addition/update. Less than 1 month old.
  • Orange Text colour indicates incomplete RT capture
  • Grey Text colour indicates an unknown or tentative status, unknown if RT message is still used, not seen for some time. Revisit required.
  • Red Text colour indicates an update or change or confirmation is required.
  • Strikethrough: Data no longer valid.
    Black Text colour. Normal. Current Data as far as known.
5 Likes

It looks like SCA is back at Artarmon according to their .RDS.

@RFBurns can you confirm?

3 Likes

Yes, SCA changed back to Artarmon yesterday afternoon.

3 Likes

Is switching between Gore Hill and Artarmon seamless to the listener?

Or do they need to allow for a moment of silence in audio?

1 Like

Seamless to the listener, unless there’s a fault that causes auto changeover.
For a no fault manual site change, both transmitters will be on for 10 - 15 seconds on the changeover, if you’re in the right spot you might hear some multipath you normally wouldn’t.
DTV site changes from the main sites work the same, (Artarmon to Gore Hill & back).

4 Likes

I don’t usually get this sort of info, but if anyone wants to check the ARN RDS’s for WSFM & KIIS Sydney, due to planned transmitter maintenance at Artarmon tomorrow, ARN have told me they will switch sites from Artarmon to Gore Hill at around 3pm this afternoon & will transfer back to Artarmon at around the same time tomorrow.

Now things may change & they’ll swap sites at different times to listed, but they will be at Gore Hill tomorrow between 10am & 3pm (maintenance period), so you can check if there’s differences in the RDS between sites, & you might even be lucky to hear the site change?

2 Likes

Thanks @RFBurns for the heads-up on this event.
I happened to be at home for parts of the afternoon & noted some of the differences.

101.7 WS-FM
Both sites transmit RDS Groups 0A & 2A

Artarmon (Main)
This site transmits with RDS CT (Group 4A) with accurate CT & transmits Group 3A which points to Group 12A for RT+, but no Group 12A exists & obviously no RT+
RDS subcarrier is just slightly stronger, compared to Gore Hill, but not much in it.

Gore Hill (Alt/standby site)
Only transmits RDS Groups 0A & 2A
I didn’t record the time the site switch occurred for WS-FM but probably between 2.30pm & 3.25pm

106.5 KIIS FM
Both sites transmit RDS Groups 0A & 2A

Artarmon (Main)
This site transmits with RDS CT (Group 4A) with accurate CT & transmits Group 3A which points to Group 12A for RT+, but no Group 12A exists & obviously no RT+

Gore Hill (Alt/standby site)
Transmits RDS Groups 0A, 2A, 3A & 12A, but no actual RT+ data transmitted.

Noted that bandwidth from Artarmon was around 435kHz, whilst Gore Hill was around 420kHz.

The transmitter switch over for KIIS from Gore Hill to Artarmon this afternoon was around 3.10 to 3.11pm. Noted a couple of seconds of distorted audio during the switchover.

3 Likes

I’m not sure on the exact time, but they would’ve changed sites at roughly the same time, they would’ve changed sites for 1 then straight after the other, whether KIIS or WSFM went first I can’t tell you I wasn’t watching the transfer.

A few seconds of distorted audio on site change is what’s expected, unless you knew what was happening, listeners wouldn’t notice it.

3 Likes

4ZZZ Brisbane appear to have corrected this naming convention, and brought it to the start. They’ve also changed the PTY in recent days to show many different types such as ‘News’, ‘Information’ and ‘Other Music’. Good to see they’re tweaking and improving their RDS provision now that it seems permanently in place.

3 Likes

:+1:

They’ve also changed their PTYN display from 102.1MHz to 102.1mhz… always thought Mega was better than milli Hertz but this is 4ZZZ who pride themselves as being a bit different :upside_down_face:

I’ve also noted that 4ZZZ has increased its RDS subcarrier level (modulation), so decodes should now be improved.

In other SE QLD (Toowoomba) RDS updates:
100.7 4RGD Now has PTYN of: Top 40. Not sure if group codes of 3A, 4A & 11A (RT+ & CT) used any longer?
102.1 4DDB. PTY changed to Easy Listening.
Anyone know if their CT is accurate?

Sunshine Coast
104.9 Sunshine FM now has PTYN of: “Hits” (Yes they include the quotation marks.)

2 Likes

RDS Update for Hit 89.1 Kingaroy

1 Like

The Triple J Illawarra second RDS trial has ended. RDS has been switched off again.

2 Likes

ABC Classic 92.9 Sydney has been running RDS without any RT (Group 2A) data for several days now.

1 Like