Radio Data System (RDS)

@ozbark you could start an RDS round table among engineers and see what takers you get?

Do it on Zoom etc, have a clear, achieved agenda of ‘easy wins’ and go from there.

You can’t expect to solve everything on the first meeting, perhaps a small one such as this 106.9/96.9 problem.

@Radiohead great practical report, interesting read.

3 Likes

We still have a tech in Newcastle, have just added another position.

I’ll have to have a look and see if we have AF enabled on the encoders.

5 Likes

That’s good that it’s not just me & the couple of cars I’ve tested it in (Outlander factory & aftermarket Pioneer tuner), & no it doesn’t change the name HIT1069 showing on the preset button, but does change the behind the scene’s stuff, so when you press the HIT1069 button in Newcastle it still tunes to Nova 96.9

3 Likes

Sunday Surprises.

88.9 2RSR - Radio Skid Row currently running a test with new transmitter.
The transmitter has a STEREO pilot carrier & RDS, which has been fully programmed.
No audio yet, stay tuned…
LATE EDIT: At 8.40AM audio returned with normal programming.

3 Likes

Ooo that is exciting, I’ve always had a soft spot for Radio Skid Row.

1 Like

Is there stereo sound too, or just pilot only?

2 Likes

Definitely stereo content. :slightly_smiling_face:
This station has been mono since day dot & that’s a long time.

3 Likes

That’s great news! And you’re right, it’s been a long long time. I wonder why it took them so long.

3 Likes

Probably more related to the community radio thread, but I have noticed that 2RSR signal in NW Sydney is now much stronger since they they started broadcasting in stereo with RDS.

Maybe their old transmitter was broadcasting way below spec, or was on its way out.
It will now make it much harder to receive 2BRW / 2RE with tropo.

4 Likes

Just noticed PBS FM in Melbourne has added RDS.

PS: 3PBS
RT: PBS 106.7 FM, pbsfm.org.au

5 Likes

Some further RDS changes noted this evening for 88.9 Radio Skid Row:

1. PTY changed to: Other Music [15]
  2. Groups 3A & 12A added. This is usually an indicator of RT+,
    but there’s no change to their RT, so I’m guessing they’re preparing
    for RT+ in the near future.

I also noted they’ve fixed up their drifting/wobbly 19kHz stereo pilot carrier from this morning, but the 19kHz pilot needs better frequency alignment.

3 Likes

This has long been a thought of mine, it is fed off-air from 107.7 MHz FM Brisbane.

2 Likes

Or possibly DAB Brisbane.

Triple J Sydney’s RDS seems to be easier to receive again now.

I noticed that 4TAB 89.7 has finally got RDS back again.

4 Likes

I noticed this today and was literally about to jump on and share it too - beat me by minutes haha

Good to see the RDS issue resolved there.

4 Likes

Might have been a bit a tropo enhancement.
Their RDS level is still around 35dB below their stereo pilot carrier & has been that way since ABC Classic 95.7 Illawara commenced their RDS tests. The RDS subcarrier should ideally be another 10dB higher.
Folks are welcome to report this. There’s power in numbers…

1 Like

Thanks for that, it wasn’t just last night though.

Hello, do you know if there is a player that can display RDS data from a stream or file?

Regards

2 Likes

Re Windows platform: Software programs like SDR# & SDR Console
can display some basic RDS data from raw file. If you combine either of the above with a virtual audio cable & RDS Spy then you’ll be able to see most RDS data.

1 Like