Radio Data System (RDS)

With today’s rebranding of SWR in Sydney’s West (see “Community Radio” thread), their RDS has changed from “SWR FM” to “SWR 999”.

3 Likes

For anyone who can get CoastFM 96.3 Gosford, I’ve added some info to the RDS Radio Text as an interim, till I get the new play-out system on air.

Think I’ve got it scrolling right, anyone care to take a look & give feedback?

I think I’ve spelt everything correctly too, lol.

Just having a look now…

I’m seeing a few alternate messages

This is as they appear on my Sangean DRP-67

COAST-FM 963

THE BIG BREAKFAST FROM 6AM WEEKDAYS

THE EASY MIX GETTING YOU THROUGH YOUR DAY 6AM - 6PM WEEKDAYS

SOLID GOLD OVERNIGHTS

LISTEN ONLINE WWW.COASTFM.ORG.AU OR VIA TUNEIN

CENTRAL COAST COMMUNITY RADIO - COAST FM 963

CONTACT US VIA PHONE 43220072 OR EMAIL STUDIO@COASTFM.ORG.AU

Each message will scroll twice most of the time - takes about 30 secs to 1 min to go through each one.

Nicely done… a lot of messages though…

Thanks Radiohead,

The long ones only scroll once on my Sangean DPR-45.

If I shorten the time they’re transmitted, the ends get cut off & the next message starts, if the transmit times are too long (but not long enough), they’ll scroll twice, but agin get cut off as the next one starts, so that’s what I’m trying to work out, transmit times so that different RDS decoders still run them (preferably once), without cutting the ends off to start the next message.

Yes there’s a lot of messages, but I’m trying to push it to see what I can do?

Our new play-out will include now & next (title & artist), & current temperature, possibly previous song as well.
Still deciding whether to have the album the tracks off, release year or other track info as well?

It’s also been suggested to have our station sponsors on the RDS (as they go to air), not the entire thing, just the sponsor name & contact. I don’t think anyone else does that, & we don’t think there’s any legal issues? It’ll be an added bonus for the sponsors, but may annoy the listeners?

1 Like

Bay FM in Brisbane has sponsor info on its RDS feed. I’ll do a log and post it when I get a chance.

Bay FM 100.3 RDS Log

09:13:37 Redland Smiles - A Bay FM Sponsor
09:14:09 Become a Bay FM Sponsor Today - Telephone 3821 0022
09:14:42 Listen to the Sounds of Summer 9-12 M-F
09:15:12 Bartons Big 4 New and Used Motor Vehicles - A Bay FM Sponsor
09:15:46 Listen to the Bay FM Sports Show every Saturday
09:16:17 Bay Air Transfer - A Bay FM Sponsor
09:16:50 Binary Music - A Bay FM Sponsor
09:17:20 Bay FM Telephone 07-3821-0022
09:17:53 Cleveland Locksmith - A Bay FM Sponsor
09:18:25 Become a Bay FM Sponsor Today - Telephone 3821 0022
09:18:58 Cleveland Dry Cleaners - A Bay FM Sponsor
09:19:28 Listen to the John Laws Show 9-12 M-F
09:20:01 DCTV Digital TV Antenna Services - A Bay FM Sponsor
09:20:34 Listen to the Bay FM Sports Show every Saturday
09:21:07 Freedom Aged Care - A Bay FM Sponsor
09:21:39 Bay FM Telephone 07-3821-0022
09:22:10 Become a Bay FM Sponsor Today - Telephone 3821 0022
09:22:42 Marks in your bath - A Bay FM Sponsor
09:23:15 Listen to the John Law Show 9-12 M-F
09:23:48 Listen to the Bay FM Sports Show every Saturday
09:24:17 Pattermore Meats - A Bay FM Sponsor
09:24:50 Bay FM Telephone 07-3821-0022

Repeat…
09:25:23 Redland Smiles - A Bay FM Sponsor
09:25:56 Become a Bay FM Sponsor Today - Telephone 3821 0022
09:26:26 Listen to the Sounds of Summer 9-12 M-F

1 Like

No surprise there, since it was the Bay FM Tech that told me to do it.

3 Likes

I like how the sponsors are displayed in Alphabetical order. Great traffic management there…

1 Like

From somebody who loves RDS… it should only be for the listener benefit containing information and be use full to them … NEVER sold and prostituted, Trouble is… once some stations start putting mindless adverts on there RDS …more will follow.

Next thing you RDS will stand for Radio Data Spam

3 Likes

That’s why I’m reluctant to put sponsor advertising on the RDS.

We won’t benefit (can’t charge the advertisers/sponsors any more) & if it pisses the listeners off, it’ll end up a big negative for all.

5 Likes

One of the only times I might actually agree with radioengineer :smile:

Just kidding love the work your doing with RDS and assisting the community stations in your area

Regards,
Shaun

2GO Gosford have FINALLY got their RDS back up and running with song info.
It had been missing for nearly 3 months.

Can’t help but think SWR’s RDS looks too much like a car number plate

2 Likes

The Mixx FM translator at Apollo Bay (95.9) is running RDS. I have a 3 bar signal of the main 106.3 tx at Colac but RDS isn’t decoding. I’ll have to try it outside in the morning.

1 Like

Just curious - why the sudden explosion of stations adopting RDS? Is it because more cars now have it as standard equipment, new transmitters that may come with RDS, or better IT/link systems making it possible?

Probably a combination of all of the above, but I suspect the main reason is because of the increase of cars supporting it - and in turn when one station gets it, others in the same and neighbouring areas will also want it so they look like the cheap odd one out.

1 Like

Mostly new transmitters including it as standard, some new cheaper hardware to run it (ie Pira boxes), more availability of IP links to transmitter sites for monitoring equipment allowing now playing data to be sent to the site.

1 Like

Thanks @mcpaton - thought as much :slight_smile: the radio nerd in my welcomes the boom of RDS.

2 Likes

Seems like NEW FM here in Newcastle doesn’t mind looking like the “cheap odd one out”.

But then I don’t think ANY of Bill Caralis’s FM “Super Network” stations have RDS yet…

1 Like

Their programming tends to indicate the same.

1 Like