Radio Data System (RDS)

The only one that matters thru the thick and fog of the whole situation is Hawkesbury Radio in conjunction with StarterFM Thursday 12pm - Saturday 12pm…. @TheChase has posted up the list previously, I will repost it if I find it

Monday 12pm Wednesday 12pm WHCR/VIbe
Wednesday 12pm - Thursday 12pm harmony
Saturday 12pm - Sunday 12pm Steve Heads and Jason Stead’s Hawkesbury Gold/FUKUFM
Sunday 12pm til Monday 12pm with Katheryn Gene, some :horse: horsey and MJ’s PulseFM Hawkesbury

1 Like

@tx42 Thanks for the RDS snapshot of 104.3 Hobart.

I was wondering if there’s a chance you could grab a RDS snap shot for 105.7 7SBS,
with PS, PI, PTY, RT etc details? Be handy with the FM DX season around the corner :slightly_smiling_face:

Also has Ultra 106.5 reactivated their RDS?

2 Likes

@tx42 can correct me but Ultra is now the only high power service in Hobart not running RDS.

Edge may not also, but not high power.

A significant amount of the LPON 88/87.8/87.6 stations also run RDS…

Ultra is basically the odd one out, but if I recall correctly their DAB service does have ‘RDS’ type track info…

4 Likes

Yep, Ultra is the only service in the city without RDS. Edge do, but haven’t set it up correctly, so it doesn’t display on every receiver.

4 Likes

From what ive heard and seen, some know it alls at these community station crap on “We will lose loudness!” and people buy in on it.

Yeah… you will lose loudness … a whole 0.5db

3 Likes

Thanks for that. :+1: I wonder if it’s one of those stations with a PI code commencing with zero? Several car radio tuners appear to have RDS display issues in that scenario. I think someone might have also encountered something similar with PI code of FFFF with RDS display not registering on the tuner. Might be worth investigating & letting the station technician know via a quick email?

IIRC Josh from Pulse said back in 2020 they had RDS active until June 2020. I wonder what happened?

Looking at our group’s Google Australian RDS List (top of thread), I only see Josh’s Pulse FM listed for Tassie, so maybe some updates due. I’m guessing Vision & Faith FM might have RDS on some of their LPON outlets?

3 Likes

I’ve got the Mitsubishi Outlander from work at the moment & have noticed that NEW FM doesn’t show any PS (Program Service Name), but it shows the now playing Radio Text, the PS shows up on other radios, so there must be something in the RDS that the Outlander radio doesn’t like. It used to work okay, but I haven’t had the Outlander for a few weeks so don’t know when things changed?

2 Likes

Have NEW FM changed their PI code? It was 2053
Or some new & odd end of text ASCII character at end of PS field?

4 Likes

You’re making me get out our portable mod monitor & do a NEWFM RDS check aren’t you.

Nothing wrong as far as I can see, with the RDS data, don’t know why the Outlander suddenly doesn’t like it, no problem with any other station?

5 Likes

Yes, guilty as charged your honour. :smile:
Thanks for that, pic was good to view & analyse.

IIRC (?) 2BACR had a similar PS display issue associated with an odd number of characters in PS field. Something to do with the characters used at the end of the PS string.
Most stations fill-up the unused remaining PS field space with SPACE or CR characters.
I’m referring to Group Code: 0A below (which contains the PS)
I can see hex code 20 is used & that’s ASCII code for SPACE character & there’s 3 of them used to fill up the remaining characters to fill-up after PS of NEWFM

In your pic what’s these accented/diacritical characters AZ in group 0A string?
Could there now be extended ascii characters used in the NEW FM Group 0A code that your vehicle doesn’t like - I’m clutching at straws here, not really sure…

You could look closer at the NEW FM RDS group 0A codes & compare to the other Newcastle RDS stations & look hard at the ASCII codes.

Else maybe do a reset on the memories on the vehicle tuner or the tuner itself & see if that fixes it.
Has the vehicle tuner recently had a firmware or software update?

I know on one car tuner from work, the tuner would remember the old PS text based on former PI code attached to the frequency & even over writing the tuner’s memory doesn’t fix the issue until the RDS station is within reception range then the current PS overwrites the former PS & when out of reception range the old PS text returns - bizarre.

4 Likes

I totally reset & wiped clean the Outlander Entertainment system at work today & reset all the radio station presets & NEW FM is showing as normal RDS again. The battery died in the car last week & was replaced, but the entertainment system held all it’s info & station presets, so during that happening there’s something it didn’t like with the NEW FM RDS, when I tuned to that station again?

3 Likes

It’s been nearly 4 weeks since 95.7 Classic RDS trial started (which was supposedly only a 2 week one) and its still going.

Wonder if that means it’s now permanentl?

2 Likes

I have noticed that too, with the way it has been configured they won’t be getting complaints from people in Sydney so I assuming they will leave it as it is now.

They now need to reactivate the RDS on Triple J, also RDS would be nice on ABC Illawarra too.

2 Likes

Hopefully it means a further regional rollout of RDS is imminent too!

3 Likes

Wouldn’t that be nice driving Brisbane to Melbourne and not touching the radio once (on some stations)

3 Likes

For me, that would be boring! I just love scanning the dial on a road trip to see what new stations are around, I rarely listen to the same station for long in the car.

3 Likes

Here’s AF working on Classic FM 95.7 changing to 102.3, my local frequency.

9 Likes

I suspect they next need to get the dynamic RT , i.e. Song Title & Artist/ announcer data feed organised for the Knights Hill transmitter site first.

That would be nice, but maybe wishful thinking. ABC really has been dragging the chain with implementation of RDS in the regions - disgracefully so, when you compare with other broadcasters.

5 Likes

That reminds me of my last trip to Germany in 2001. Was staying with a friend near Dusseldorf. Their local radio network Einslive had RDS with AF enabled even back then. When driving around the region the radio changed frequencies multiple time, it was seamless and worked very well.
This was the first time I saw RDS AF in action.

Getting back to Australia I would like to see RDS AF enabled on the national Triple J and Classic fm networks.

I don’t think it would work on the regional Hit and Triple M networks as they don’t always run identical programming. From a Dxing perspective it will make listening to distant Triple J / Classic fm stations harder as it will keep switching back to your local.

Can you turn off AF on RDS enabled car radios?

2 Likes

Maybe they deactivated RT on 92.9 Classic fm Sydney for the Illawarra trial.

They did this also on Triple J Sydney when they trialed RDS with AF on the Illawarra frequency.
As soon as that trial ended RT returned to Triple J Sydney.

2 Likes