Radio Data System (RDS)

Am now getting that up here near Newcastle with the ducting that is occurring tonight

2 Likes

A first time RDS catch for me tonight :grin:

2 Likes

As I mentioned in the ‘AM & FM DX’ thread, I got e-skip from New Zealand today.

Reception was momentarily strong enough to suggest that RDS may have been possible (assuming that their RDS system is the same as ours and works on Australian radios).

Though it wasn’t displayed for the station I received (91.6 The Breeze from Invercargill).

Has anyone picked up RDS from New Zealand?

1 Like

RDS is RDS… there are very slight differences between RDBS and RDS

Injection levels and how its generated and implemented … keep in mind NZ has a lot of asynchronous translators which may be affecting DX Decoding.

2 Likes

RDS now on Rhema Central Coast 94.9 with program info

3 Likes

Interesting developments with 6iX’s 105.7FM translators in the outer northern & southern suburbs of Perth:

It’s incredible to see a commercial AM station, especially a metro one, use RDS on their lower-powered FM translators.

The only other example I can think of is 2ST down on the South Coast of NSW, in which its 91.7 & 106.7 translators use RDS, including the ‘Now Playing’ song info. Interestingly, their 102.9 Southern Highlands translator doesn’t use RDS.

2 Likes

Does 4TAB Brisbane count? It is technically commercial and the 89.7 translator has RDS (though at 5kw not that low powered).

2 Likes

Of course, brilliant use of RDS there.

2 Likes

What’s on the 4TAB RDS?

Race results? :grin:

I haven’t taken much notice TBH!

At the moment it is showing:

A screen grab from last week

RDS is also on 95.5 Bundaberg. Don’t know about any others.

2 Likes

Most of the Auckland and Whangerei stations have RDS. RDS is less common on the South Island but I’ve noticed quite a few stations running it on this trip. Here in Cromwell, Brian FM (105.5) do full song title and artist, and there’s even scrolling RDS on one of the local LPFM stations (107.0 FM).

1 Like

Glad you were able to get 4US RDS, i was involved in getting it enabled and to come into the 21st Century. It is just been generated by the BE TX internally

99.9 Rockhampton has RDS aswell

Upcoming Races and local frequencies

2 Likes

RDS is on Beaudesert, Bundaberg, Gladstone and Rockhampton.

3 Likes

Mix FM and Sea FM still haven’t fixed their temp readouts on RDS

imageimage

How it should look

No problems with traffic report

1 Like

That’s the closest that Noosa will get to a white Christmas.

2 Likes

Difference in RDS between metro and regional for cricket:

Brisbane

Fraser Coast

2 Likes

2MFM Sydney now with station name RDS.

No other info as yet.

2 Likes

Both 2EC and Power FM from Batemans Bay now have RDS, including web addresses in the text info field. We couldn’t receive 102.5 Bega strong enough to tell if it has RDS or not. There’s also 105.5 2EC at Eden to check.

1 Like

RDS sequence on MiXFM

imageimageimage

1 Like

Keep up to date by typing that series of random characters into your browser? Directing people to bom.gov.au would be wiser. Whoever is doing the RDS there needs to stop and think a little.

3 Likes