Radio Data System (RDS)

Yes, them too. Engineering staff are working on them all this week in Brisbane.

1 Like

That’s great news for Brissie!

What about Melbourne and the other capitals?
Any RDS on Classic or JJJ there?

So far on the RDS we have “Classic” - ABC Classic FM - Where Music Lives
and
"triple j" that has been stuck on the song Slow Dance - ‘Don’t Believe’ since yesterday

jjj is sending out the time but Classic isn’t

Would be a lot more beneficial if ABC could roll out RDS to its regional transmitters as well; however, of course, budgetary constraints apply. With AF, you’d probably be able to listen to JJJ or ABC Classic FM driving all the way from Adelaide to Melbourne to Sydney to Brisbane without needing to tune your radio.

Good points tvcl, was there any increase or decrease for the ABC and SBS in this week’s budget?

As much as I would love to see the widespread implementation of RDS happen, I’m a realist; it is probably a low priority. RadioText was static on both broadcasts when I checked last night. Positioning statements only, no live track information.

Regarding funding, I’ve posted here in the relevant thread.

I am off to the United States on Saturday, and I am tossing up between taking 1 of these:

• Sangean FM-RDS radio
  • Tecsun AM/FM radio

I am led to believe that the USA uses a slightly different version of RDS (called RDBS), BUT that an RDS receiver WILL decode RDBS.

Has anyone tried this in the US?

Not sure this helps, but I do have a cheap US purchased receiver which works fine decoding Australian RDS, except the Programme Type, Programme Identification code & Alternate Frequencies are wrong.

RBDS versus RDS - What are the differences and how can receivers cope with both systems?

It may be worth considering purchasing a portable receiver (for travel bandscans) to decode the numerous IBOC stations broadcasting HD Radio stations within the FM band. Portables such as the Insignia NS-HDRAD or NS-HD01 (discontinued) retail around $50 USD. (HD Radio in the United States is generally widespread, unlike our DAB+ system).

Thanks!

I have also thought about getting one over there to try out HD Radio.

I have been informed tonight that the ABC in Adelaide has introduced RDS on these services:

103.9 Classic FM
105.5 Triple J

Meanwhile, JJJ Brisbane’s RadioText has been somewhat troublesome over the past few weeks. It seems to lock onto something and display that without changing for a good few days straight. First it was telling us that we were listening to the Hip Hop show for days straight, then to the song ‘Truth to Trade’ by Ecca Vandal for a week, now it seems stuck telling us that it’s Mornings with Zan.

The positive I guess is that it seems to try and display show titles as well as artist and title information of individual songs. Once they get it working properly it should be really useful, especially given the wide variety of music JJJ plays over a day

2 Likes

Congratulations to Andrew, Dan, Graham and all the team at 4TAB.

Wednesday saw ‘RadioTAB’ appear on the RDS list via their 89.7 translator.

There are three pages:

Website, phone number, gamble responsibly message

Breakfast show promo

Next three race locations.

This is a great day, more will discover their breakfast show which will thankfully no longer be the best kept secret as more discover it.

2 Likes

Noticed it this morning - well implemented and a welcome addition.

Looks very impressive and professional. RDS belts in here to western Brisbane, although 89.7 has always been the strongest of those signals here from that Veresdale site

An RDS presence really does add a look of professionalism to an FM station IMO. Especially in the modern cars with all the displays etc, having your station name display rather than a generic FM frequency looks a lot better (except maybe if you’re 97.3, in which case it makes little difference) :smiley:

2 Likes

Nobody has mentioned this, but my guess is that 4TAB on 89.7 FM would also fall into a minority of domestic stations that accommodate RDS, whilst the actual broadcast has no 19 kHz stereo pilot tone (aka 'tis a mono signal with RDS). Indeed, crankymedia this is fine work by Andrew, Dan, Graham & the team!

2 Likes

ABC Classic FM in Brisbane now has weather and website info on their radio text now :smiley:

1 Like

This is a first for RDS (for me)

Currently in Tuggeranong (southern Canberra) and RAW FM has RDS (and stereo!) happening on 87.6!!

Station name only.

2 Likes

Good point, it is mono. Is the input still off air of the AM signal from St Helena? All the more clever to sync it up. Unsure why the DAB+ signal isn’t used.

1 Like

It has to my knowledge always had a FM or similar quality feed. Never the St Helena offair signal.

2 Likes

89.7 has always been mono and fed via network feed. Never off air from 1008.
DAB signal can’t be used as it’s delayed by 8 odd seconds and the punters would get cranky.
Audio quality was improved 2 years ago when the network feed changed to another format. Prior to that is was akin to G722 with everything above 7.5khz lost in the encoding algorithm, and was compressed very hard. I’d say that’s why perhaps people thought it was an off air feed from the island.

5 Likes