Radio Data System (RDS)

Thanks!

I have also thought about getting one over there to try out HD Radio.

I have been informed tonight that the ABC in Adelaide has introduced RDS on these services:

103.9 Classic FM
105.5 Triple J

Meanwhile, JJJ Brisbaneā€™s RadioText has been somewhat troublesome over the past few weeks. It seems to lock onto something and display that without changing for a good few days straight. First it was telling us that we were listening to the Hip Hop show for days straight, then to the song ā€˜Truth to Tradeā€™ by Ecca Vandal for a week, now it seems stuck telling us that itā€™s Mornings with Zan.

The positive I guess is that it seems to try and display show titles as well as artist and title information of individual songs. Once they get it working properly it should be really useful, especially given the wide variety of music JJJ plays over a day

2 Likes

Congratulations to Andrew, Dan, Graham and all the team at 4TAB.

Wednesday saw ā€˜RadioTABā€™ appear on the RDS list via their 89.7 translator.

There are three pages:

Website, phone number, gamble responsibly message

Breakfast show promo

Next three race locations.

This is a great day, more will discover their breakfast show which will thankfully no longer be the best kept secret as more discover it.

2 Likes

Noticed it this morning - well implemented and a welcome addition.

Looks very impressive and professional. RDS belts in here to western Brisbane, although 89.7 has always been the strongest of those signals here from that Veresdale site

An RDS presence really does add a look of professionalism to an FM station IMO. Especially in the modern cars with all the displays etc, having your station name display rather than a generic FM frequency looks a lot better (except maybe if youā€™re 97.3, in which case it makes little difference) :smiley:

2 Likes

Nobody has mentioned this, but my guess is that 4TAB on 89.7 FM would also fall into a minority of domestic stations that accommodate RDS, whilst the actual broadcast has no 19 kHz stereo pilot tone (aka 'tis a mono signal with RDS). Indeed, crankymedia this is fine work by Andrew, Dan, Graham & the team!

2 Likes

ABC Classic FM in Brisbane now has weather and website info on their radio text now :smiley:

1 Like

This is a first for RDS (for me)

Currently in Tuggeranong (southern Canberra) and RAW FM has RDS (and stereo!) happening on 87.6!!

Station name only.

2 Likes

Good point, it is mono. Is the input still off air of the AM signal from St Helena? All the more clever to sync it up. Unsure why the DAB+ signal isnā€™t used.

1 Like

It has to my knowledge always had a FM or similar quality feed. Never the St Helena offair signal.

2 Likes

89.7 has always been mono and fed via network feed. Never off air from 1008.
DAB signal canā€™t be used as itā€™s delayed by 8 odd seconds and the punters would get cranky.
Audio quality was improved 2 years ago when the network feed changed to another format. Prior to that is was akin to G722 with everything above 7.5khz lost in the encoding algorithm, and was compressed very hard. Iā€™d say thatā€™s why perhaps people thought it was an off air feed from the island.

5 Likes

Noticed on the weekend that 891HOTFM Kingaroy has RDS implemented. Decoded this in the Brooyar State Forest which is located north-west of Gympie.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if stations transmitting RDS with time (CT) are supposed to keep it accurate? I just turfed my Pure Sensia and bought a Sangean 909x for me and an RCR-9 for my partner and we both listen to WSFM (101.7) extensively. If I leave them on auto-time mode, they both set the clock to 56 minutes forward than what it should be. No biggie, just set it manually for both but it is annoying.

Iā€™ve found that the RDS time on the FM stations is unreliable, so I always use a DAB+ station to wake up to on my clock radio.

JJJ Brisbane seems to finally have fixed their RDS - on the drive home tonight the radio text was updating for each song and displaying program information between songs. Itā€™s really useful having the artist and title show on Triple J where thereā€™s such a mix of new and unheard music

3 Likes

About time! According to my car theyā€™ve been playing Queens Of The Stone Age for 2 weeks!

ABC Classic FM also has dynamic RDS, cycling befween weather, website and slogan.

The real question is- why are you still listening to the Jays at your age?

1 Like

Then thereā€™s C91.3 in Campbelltown, which is STILL the only commercial FM station in the Sydney/Illawarra/Central Coast region not to have RDS of any kind (itā€™s also the only commercial FM station in the region not to be streaming online). 2STā€™s 102.9 Southern Highlands service doesnā€™t have RDS, but its 91.7 & 106.7 services down in the Shoalhaven does.

1 Like

Itā€™s funny some donā€™t bother when thereā€™s cheap boxes to inject RDS available, and a few bits of free software around to send the data to the boxesā€¦

2 Likes