Racing.com

A pop-up/overflow channel makes sense to me…chance for more analysis of some of the bigger races which horse nuts lap up.

I suppose there is no reason it couldn’t have just a title card Sun-Fri and not use up any bandwidth. Just the same as overnight on ABC Me.

1 Like

Yeah heres a quick idea to fill the sunday to friday slot fill it with sport that would go down great with the men demographic and seven has enough sports contracts to do so just my two cents what would everyone here like to see seven air on sun-fri if this horse racing channel actually happens?

You’ve answered your own question with the word “major” :expressionless:

1 Like

I just wonder the value of two ‘racing’ channels, which aren’t even measured for ratings. They’d know the reach through OzTam probably, which would be interesting to know. I was just assuming its a sponsorship / win-win situation.

No - the datacast/shopping channels are not measured by OzTAM.

1 Like

I thought racing.com it was not a datacasting channel. If it was a datacasting channel Prime would have been in breach of the broadcasting legislation as they had three datacasting channels from when racing.com started until 4ME finished despite each Prime broadcasting licence only have two datacasting licences

1 Like

I don’t imagine Seven have announced what LCN this new racing channel will be on?

I am guessing it will be LCN 79 (69 in regionals if shown).

Also, what about taking away bandwidth from the already existing channels? Picture quality on Seven’s SD channels is already bad enough!

I know this is merely speculation, but could Seven be looking at slipping in other sporting events on the existing racing channel such as AFL, Golf and Tennis?

Any chance SKY coverage may screen on an existing multichannel instead of a standalone channel used for 6 to 7 hours only once per week?

1 Like
1 Like

Continuing discussion from both Seven Sport and Ten Sport thread regarding Ten snatching Melbourne Cup carnival broadcast rights from Seven…
From racing.com

Seven West Media are partners with the Victorian thoroughbred racing industry in Racing.com, with free-to-air media rights for all Victorian racing bar the four days of the Melbourne Cup Carnival locked down to 2024.
Racing.com is seeking to finalise arrangements with the VRC for the continuation of live racing and wagering coverage of the Melbourne Cup Carnival.

The joint ownership structure puts the channel in a difficult position after its TV partner Seven lost the Melbourne Cup rights. If racing.com cannot come to a deal with the VRC to continue to show the Cup carnival races (live or delayed), it may have to introduce blackouts.

Yeah. Well, so be it. Pay TV channel TVN used to have to go to a blank screen when the Melbourne Cup came on. No reason racing.com can’t do same if Ten has bought the rights as free to air exclusive.

2 Likes

According to TV Tonight, Racing.com will continue to air the Melbourne Cup on TV and online, but will blackout the race on the feed it provides to betting outlets for the betting sites and apps.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/09/ten-confirms-100m-melbourne-cup-deal.html

TEN has also agreed terms with Racing.com to provide Live coverage of all races across the Melbourne Cup Carnival on its channels and the Racing.com app. The live vision streaming rights for Wagering Service Providers are excluded from the deal with Network TEN.

2 Likes

Time for Seven to have the guts to put the racing.com channel into the official ratings. Seven claims the channel is successful but fails to back that up with audience figures.

IMO viewer numbers aren’t the sole metric to decide if that channel is successful. It’ll be down to betting, turnover etc. Add to that screening in pubs and TABs etc. People also tune in for shorter periods (ie to watch a race) rather than settling in for an hour or two

5 Likes

I enjoy, I think it’s on at least one weeknight, famous finishes (dead heats, etc) that that show historic version from over the years. Good show

Continuing from Ten Sport thread

Even without Bruce or Hamish, racing.com still has many capable presenters for the Melbourne Cup carnival coverage, like Jason Richardson and David Basheer (ex-SBS).

Surprised Ten would include a cluase about Hamish McLachlan? Maybe they see him as 7Sport’s right hand man and think his racing background would also lure some? But I don’t buy that and think it’s all very strange.