Racing.com

I searched Google but found nothing about it.

They can’t record the interviews with the jockeys and play them play a few minutes later? Seems like an argument about nothing.

1 Like

It’s in the inside back page of the printed edition of today’s paper.
Pre-record the interview with jockeys is a good idea, why didn’t they think of that?

There’s no way they didn’t consider pre-record.

Pre-recording unlikely to work as they would be on a tight schedule for playback though. (I.e. They pre-record an 90 second interview after the race but when they come to play it they only have 80 seconds of spare air time before the next event). If it’s live, they can wrap interviews and through to the live event.

The channel is becoming too much like Sky Channel, just wall to wall stuff with little analysis and not the coverage prior to acquiring the SA rights that the punters expected.

racing.com is showing the Melbourne Cup live. As this channel is not officially in the ratings, how does Seven account for how many people watch the race on racing.com, I wonder.

The Australian is claiming that racing.com, the Seven West Media-Racing Victoria joint venture, is in the running to buy the soon to be privatised Western Australia TAB.

WA TAB owned by Seven West Media would be ideal. TAB WA could provide odds on Racing’s coverage of metropolitan meets

1 Like

As the title suggests. Rumors in today’s paper that a second racing channel will start in March using Sky programming.

1 Like

That rumor cant be true because the only reason why racing.com was created as a tv channel was because of a newly signed agreement between racing victoria and seven and i cant imagine sky racing doing a deal with seven to share programming between each other

2 Likes

Gee, Seven have way too much sport I reckon. If they’re not careful, they’ll one day alienate their audience with not enough non-sport programming!

Another non-watched racing channel, just for a major sponsorship / affiliation opportunity?

Hamish McLachlan even admitted it at the Logies last year, when he accepted on behalf of Seven Sport for Rio 2016 “we build our network around sport” :thinking:

If the new racing channel will use programing from Sky, by any chance could it be a free to air broadcast of the current Sky Thoroughbred Central channel or some variant of that? I think Thoroughbred Central picked up the rights to the NSW racing events (with coverage of the Victorian races going to RACING.COM) after the demise of TVN in Early 2015.

Aside from that, I personally don’t see why there’s the need for two horse racing channels on free to air TV. With the exception of Melbourne’s Spring Racing Carnival and maybe the big races in Sydney around March/April, isn’t horse racing a fairly niche sport in this country?

2 Likes

Exactly

Three words - betting advertising revenue. It’s the reason why racing.com has not one, not two, but three waging partners - even though the channel is a JV, Seven would still be raking in a fair bit from the revenue they’re gaining from those partners

1 Like

The AFR story implies a Saturday only channel, which makes little sense.

3 Likes

Timeshare with another new Seven channel??

I’m confused about this one if this new channel is only going to be broadcasting Saturday horse races what would it broadcast during the week?

Racing.com has been on air since August 2015 over-the-air and in September 2015 on Foxtel.

Me too. Maybe it’s just Seven getting the rights to NSW and Qld Saturday racing and putting that on one of its existing channels.

2 Likes

Potentially yes

1 Like