Q+A

National Union of Students has accused the ABC of “extreme vetting” to prevent students from being part of tonight’s audience and has called on students to protest outside the venue from 8pm tonight.

Are the producers scared of disruption to the show? Why can’t university students meet face to face with Federal Education Minister Simon Birmingham who will be on the panel tonight to discuss proposed funding cuts in last week’s Budget? If NUS is not allowed to appear on tonight’s show it should be invited to next week’s show for right of reply.

Umm, what does that have to do with QandA? :slight_smile:

They’re “university students” in that they are rowdy, nasty, extreme left-wing student union students. They are not representative of students.

The NUS is not “the opposition” such that it requires a “right of reply” to the Minister, lol.

In any case, the audiences are full of rabid anti-conservative voices each week - I hardly think you should be worried about the Minister not being pressed on this issue…

Oh well, that’s what happens when you have a Labor government waste eleventy billion dollars on unneeded school buildings, even though our minerals boom meant we would have sailed through the GFC relatively less worse off than every other country anyway.

Time to pay up. Can’t just frit away money and think there aren’t consequences.

No. I just see no point in having protests on the show that disrupts the panel and the questions being answered.

I dont agree with Firetorch on most things but I believe he is right on this. Majority of students opinions don’t necessarily reflect the opinions of that student protest group. Most University students are either picked apart if they dare show a different political view then the lefty students.
I don’t think this group would have added value to Q&A and I don’t think they should ever be allowed on, because it sounds like they were going to go on TV and just shout and over talk the minister. Yeah let’s add that to Q&A. Sure. How does that equate to intelligence on this show when the show itself has lost it’s intelligence?

Again, shocking - I agree with you. Labor were the biggest disaster this country has ever faced. I never believed one second Rudd’s stimulus package prevented a recession.(But that’s a different thread)

1 Like

###Q&A – with a literary twist!

Monday 22 May – 9.40pm on ABC, simulcast LIVE at 9:40pm (AEST) on iview, ABC NewsRadio & on the ABC NEWS channel

Next Monday, a special Q&A in conjunction with the Sydney Writers’ Festival.

Joining host Tony Jones is:

• Paul Beatty, Man Booker Prize 2016 and author of ‘The Sellout’

• Mikhail Zygar, Russian journalist and author of ‘All the Kremlin’s Men’

• Niki Savva, Former senior adviser to Prime Minister John Howard and author of ‘Road to Ruin’

• Mona Chalabi, Data Editor at The Guardian US

• Lawrence M. Krauss, theoretical physicist and author of ‘The Greatest Story Ever Told … So Far’

Q&A is simulcast LIVE around the country on ABC TV, the ABC NEWS channel, ABC NewsRadio and iview. Australia Plus Television also broadcasts Q&A in to Asia and the Pacific.

Members of the public can: Register to be part of the Q&A LIVE studio audience at: abc.net.au/qanda Submit questions for the panel, also at: abc.net.au/qanda Contribute to the discussion via Q&A’s Twitter highlights feed, using #qanda Submit live questions via Twitter using #qanda and @qanda Follow @qanda on Twitter to receive first-hand updates about the program and panel members.

Q&A has already pioneered the use of Facebook Live and this year Q&A became the first Australian TV program streamed live on Periscope. Viewers can watch the program on Periscope through Twitter while following or joining the Twitter conversation, or watch and comment on Facebook – the choice is up to them.

###1967 and Mabo - Moving Forward

Monday, 29 May – 9.35pm on ABC, simulcast LIVE at 9:35pm (AEST) on iview, ABC NewsRadio & on the ABC NEWS channel

On Monday Q&A will be broadcasting live from Parliament House in Canberra to mark the 50th anniversary of the 1967 referendum and 25 years since the Mabo decision.

Joining host Tony Jones is:

• Noel Pearson Strategic Advisor, Cape York Institute

• Pat Anderson Co-chair Referendum Council and Chairperson of The Lowitja Institute

• Megan Davis UNSW Pro Vice-Chancellor Indigenous

• Nakkiah Lui Playwright and actor in ABC’s Black Comedy

• Stan Grant ABC Indigenous Affairs Coverage Editor

Q&A is simulcast LIVE around the country on ABC TV, the ABC NEWS channel, ABC NewsRadio and iview. Australia Plus Television also broadcasts Q&A in to Asia and the Pacific.

Members of the public can: Register to be part of the Q&A LIVE studio audience at: abc.net.au/qanda Submit questions for the panel, also at: abc.net.au/qanda Contribute to the discussion via Q&A’s Twitter highlights feed, using #qanda Submit live questions via Twitter using #qanda and @qanda Follow @qanda on Twitter to receive first-hand updates about the program and panel members.

Q&A has already pioneered the use of Facebook Live and this year Q&A became the first Australian TV program streamed live on Periscope. Viewers can watch the program on Periscope through Twitter while following or joining the Twitter conversation, or watch and comment on Facebook – the choice is up to them.

1 Like

Can the ABC stop attempting, desperately, to make this a thing? They did it with the 20th anniversary too. It’s so forced.

Moving Forward? Hah. The ABC loves nothing more than to dwell in the past on issues affecting Australians of Indigenous descent.

Why aren’t you campaigning for ANZAC day coverage to be scrapped?

Huh? A little more detail please, what are you referring to?

You’re not seriously comparing an anniversary commemorating the death of hundreds of thousands of Australians…with the High Court handing down a judgement on legal technicalities?

Surely not.

You’re not seriously downplaying an anniversary that was a turning point in indigenous rights and land ownership rights to fit your own agenda?

Surely not.

I’m sure what EuroKick is arguing about regards the following:

with the rebuttal:

concluding that there’s a double standard saying you should move forward with somethings, but you can dwell on past with others.

Not everything is a comparison, it’s not all black and white, I’m sure you know that. I don’t think this is a comparison, but more likely a contextual piece to show two big events in Australian history. Yes, they both don’t stack up to each other (obviously being on the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of emotions), but how do you decide what’s more important for anyone but yourself/ your family?

1 Like

Sorry, I’m not even engaging in a discussion that presents a High Court judgement (of which there are many on much more significant matters than Mabo, the anniversaries of which are never publicly discussed, obviously), on an equal footing with thousands of Australians being slaughtered in two world wars.

People, in all cultures, have commemorated the anniversaries of deaths, for thousands of years. To conflate that with the anniversary of a legal judgement that excites left-wing academia, is totally bonkers.

Goodbye!

Dude, you’ve missed the point. The point is why should an organisation be able to dwell on the past on one event, but not on another event, why can’t they dwell on both.

Let me just say, I don’t know how you’ve managed to get that I’ve put them on equal footing with each other, I haven’t and in no way would I ever compare the deaths of millions of people to a break through in indigenous rights.

Let me say, both wars have been the ultimate tragedy, I don’t think any sane person would want it to happen again.

Both of the events are important. Equally and to most of the population? no. To some people who have had trauma from both events, maybe - I can’t speak for others in that regard and I have no clue, I would need to ask indigenous people this question. Should it be broadcasted for everyone be able to tune in, I think so.

3 Likes

God, I hate being left to clean up a dopey argument started by a trolling EuroKick, but anyways.

What are you even talking about. I quoted the title of the show “Moving Forward” and said the ABC dwells in the past when it comes to issues affecting Australians of Indigenous descent. The ABC doesn’t dwell in early 20th century politics when it comes to other Australians.

You literally said “how do you decide what’s more important for anyone but yourself/ your family?”.

Er, quite easily I think.

Sorry, again, what the hell are you talking about. Who has trauma from a High Court judgement in 1992?

You don’t have to ask Indigenous Australians when you have a functioning brain as a human being yourself.

Hadley and Mr Dutton were infuriated by an exchange on Monday’s episode, before the Manchester bombing, between Jones and visiting physicist Lawrence Krauss on the likelihood of Westerners becoming victims of terrorism.

Krauss: “The real people who are in danger from Muslim terrorists are in the Muslim countries.”
Jones: “I suppose, if you’re a young black American, you’re more likely to be killed by a policeman.”

Totally repulsive. How this show is allowed to continue to air is beyond me.

And I just hate the cliched responses like those from that from Bill Shorten today.

https://twitter.com/billshortenmp/status/867701787662237696

Criticising the ABC for poor judgment is NOT interfering in journalism. Highlighting bias is NOT unfair. Politicians should robustly pressure the ABC to be producing content free from bias. The ABC does NOT have carte blanche to air whatever it wants.

The Ray Hadley Show?

3 Likes

I’m fairly sure the 1975 Constitutional Crisis would like to have a word with you. Another example would be the documentary about the sailors who bombed Japanese warships in Singapore, which ran on Australian Story a month or so ago. There are probably plenty of other examples. [quote=“Firetorch, post:199, topic:608”]
Criticising the ABC for poor judgment is NOT interfering in journalism. Highlighting bias is NOT unfair.
[/quote]
And I’m sure they will be criticised for bias… when there’s actually something worth discussing.

Some testy exchange between two individuals expressing their freedom on a debate panel show is neither controversial nor interesting in the slightest. A presenter using Twitter to say something a little insensitive, yet completely tame and within her rights as a free citizen, barely constitutes a story. I don’t even know why some themed discussion about Mabo is such a big deal; the ABC’s purpose is to be Australian, and since Mabo is a chapter in our history, there’s nothing wrong with it. [quote=“Firetorch, post:198, topic:608”]
You don’t have to ask Indigenous Australians when you have a functioning brain as a human being yourself.
[/quote]

:thinking: because not asking the Indigenous Australians was a genius move in the 19th and 20th Centuries…

I’m not interested in going round in circles.

My point is, in a week of:

• a major terrorist incident in Manchester,
  • the G7 meeting,
  • a crucial NATO summit with the new US President (where US policy regarding NATO has been in question), and
  • the US President making a major address to the Muslim world, as well as taking action towards an Israel-Palestinian resolution,

that dedicating an entire episode of Q&A to “mark the 25 years since the Mabo decision” is so incredibly myopic, indulgent, ridiculous.

And that’s the reality with this programme - just an outlet for the far-left to indulge in a big wank-fest.