Pure Gold Network

Gold 101.7 WSFM? Hah!

The “WS” in WSFM actually stands for something (or at least used to, back in the 2WS days), it would be nice if ARN realised that…

Yes. Western Suburbs. That’s why I said it should be Westie FM. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I still prefer the good old 2WS call sign …

What’s wrong with just 101.7 2WS? (that’s how 2GO does it and I think it works well).

3 Likes

I think that’s what it started as

Almost…

I think it was 2WS FM101.7

Ah yes you’re right

I like the current callsign 2UUS which is a good homage to the original AM callsign 2WS.

2 Likes

Radio Today has picked up the story on the change of positioner for both WS & Gold: http://www.radiotoday.com.au/news/whats-new/10387-arn-hit-refresh-better-music-and-more-of-it.html

Also of note: Jason Staveley has replaced Eddie Hribar as WSFM music director, and will continue to host the drive shift.

“Better Music And More Of It”

The '90s called. They want their boring radio slogan back

2 Likes

:laughing: They’ll probably start playing 90s hits now so that should make their listeners feel even more nostalgic. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

They already do, their playlist is mostly 80’s to now.

I’m sure WSFM already has music from the '90s on their regular playlist. Infact they’ve been known to play music from as recently as 2011, according to listener reports here!

According to an excerpt from the article that I have linked, ARN’s national Content Director Duncan Campbell said of the refresh:

“We are now playing more music than ever with a strong focus on what our audience love from the 80s, along with the best hits of the 90s and 2000s.”

So this would mean that WS & Gold would be pretty much eliminating 70s music from their playlists (in fact, it’s only a few years ago that 60s music has disappeared from WS’s playlist), and in turn increasing the amount of 90s/00s music. Whilst being an AM station, I’m sure that 2CH in Sydney, now under a different ownership, would be filling the musical void that WS had left behind.

In fact, when comparing with commercial FM stations from nearby fringe markets, I would think that WS would now not be sounding much different to that of 2GO & Star 104.5 from the Central Coast. Meanwhile, 2ST, which can be picked up in many parts of Sydney through 102.9 from Bowral, sounds more like a real ‘classic hits’ station than what WS is at present, with plenty of 60s & 70s music being played on a regular basis, along with some newer adult-friendly music thrown in.

1 Like

WS and Gold seem to be really diverging from 4KQ even more lately music-wise. KQ still play a lot of 70s including 70s lunchbox and even entire weekends.

1 Like

They’re a bit slow…

It’s been like that for over 2 weeks, and you read it here on MS first 18 days ago…

We need something like this for the site

11 Likes

Weak.

11 Likes

I’m thinking a Nine News 3 panel wipe would do the trick.