Pure Gold Network

“Pure Gold - 101.7 WSFM - Better Music and More of It”

Quite a mouthful.

And then every hour WSFM will play Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough by Michael Jackson and
Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams.

A more appropriate slogan would be:

Pure Gold - 101.7 WSFM - The Same Songs More Often"

5 Likes

70’s music is still included, but at a smaller percentage to the other decades. The focus is majority 80’s and an even balance of the years since.

1 Like

I’ve been listening quite a bit at work to Cruise 1323 recently and quite enjoying it. While there are strong similarities in format with 4KQ there are also some subtle differences. Here are just some anecdotal observations:

• 1323 seems to be a bit ‘softer’ than KQ, a bit more easy listening… KQ seems much more uptempo… and it’s not so much the choice of songs but the frequency… KQ could easily play Rubber Bullets 10CC followed by Modern English, Melt with You, followed by Irene Cara…
  • 1323 seems to feature more 70s (and a few more 'obscure 70s that we would only tend to hear on KQ on Sundays)
  • 1323 seems to be aiming for a slightly older demographic: the competitions, promotions and even the style of announcing, whereas at times KQ is arguably alot punchier… an AM version of 97.3 with older music but a similar upbeat feel.

Just my thoughts having listened for the past few weeks. I’m wondering whether the fact MMM Adelaide was a little more ‘classic hits’ for a time has something to do with it? Or maybe because the Cruise format is not defined by what it was, whereas 4KQ has been consistent for 30 years.

2 Likes

Yes I’ve sampled 1323 too and agree with your comments. I do think KQ is a bit ‘harder’ with the music. Particularly lately noticing some heavier classic rock, although they have always been a bit classic rock focused, particularly 70s classic rock.

Perhaps they evolved that way to differentiate from 4BH which was more your easy listening alternative. Whereas in Adelaide 1323 has had the AM music audience to themselves. With the demise of 4BH in Brisbane I wouldn’t be surprised if 4KQ went a little softer, although I think they’ll always play 70s and now 80s rock classics.

KQ tends to be a lot more adventurous and obscure with their music over the weekends too, although the 70s lunch break during the week can reveal some real gems too. There are some really quintessential songs and artists that KQ always play - e.g. Simon & Garfunkel’s more upbeat tunes, Status Quo and KISS. But the list is long!

If you go back to the 90s and even into the early 2000s though, KQ was a bit softer. I seem to remember a lot of Cher in those days :). They do still play softer songs though, they have played Take A Chance On Me/ABBA for as long as I can remember. Every time I hear that song it makes me think of KQ. I heard it the other day in fact.

2 Likes

[quote=“WHTZ, post:183, topic:104”]
I’m wondering whether the fact MMM Adelaide was a little more ‘classic hits’ for a time has something to do with it? Or maybe because the Cruise format is not defined by what it was, whereas 4KQ has been consistent for 30 years.
[/quote]There’s potentially also a small part of Cruise wanting to hold onto the softer audience in case Nova have a brain fart and decide to convert FiveAA to smooth.

1 Like

Back then, 4KQ & 4BH were sister stations, before ARN sold 4BH to DMG in 2002 (who later sold it to SCB in 2003) after they bought 50% (with DMG) of the 97.3FM licence in the auction.

1 Like

I can’t see that happening… given Cruise has a fairly small share and a Smooth 1395 would be competing for that. 5AA as it is now has the Adelaide commercial talk radio market all to itself.

Absolutely. I’m marking no suggestion that it would actually happen. I think I make that quite clear by referring to that potential decision as a “brain fart”.
But it is also prudent for any business to not create a gap that a competitor can fill.

Yes, we all would remember if there.

Until 973 began, ‘Greatest memories, latest hits’ was the KQ positioner from Wesgo onwards. It was an AC/gold hybrid, hence the Cher fitting nicely.

Not unless FM conversion happens or DAB+ penetration increases. Anecdotally, Smooth is popular on DAB+ in Adelaide retail.

Now that KQ is the only commercial AM music station in Brisbane, will we see any changes or tweaks to the format?

Keep listening and comparing to pre 27 Feb.

I’m sure I just heard the “Take 40” legend Barry Bissell announce that he is hosting a U2 special on WSFM Sunday night at 6pm to celebrate 30 years since the release of their album “The Joshua Tree”.

Well, in that case I hope we hear a lot more of Barry on WSFM… It’s the first time I’ve heard him on the radio in a long time, apart from his guest appearance on the final edition of “Take 40” last year.

I heard that special on 7HO in Hobart on Thursday afternoon, which was repeated the same evening. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The same evening? :astonished:

I think I was meant to add “on” before I said “the same evening”.

Still twice within a few hours is a bit over the top.

Still, it’s good to hear Barry on the radio again.

I hope he does a lot more specials like this (though I am not a big U2 fan).

I certainly haven’t noticed any change at all on KQ since the sad demise of 4BH. Had thought they might soften the music just a smidge but if anything it seems to be more classic rock lately. Think they’re concentrating on going after talk station 4MMM.

3 Likes

that’s a phrase I do NOT wish to hear! :frowning:

2 Likes

[quote=“Radiohead, post:192, topic:104, full:true”]
I’m sure I just heard the “Take 40” legend Barry Bissell announce that he is hosting a U2 special on WSFM Sunday night at 6pm to celebrate 30 years since the release of their album “The Joshua Tree”.[/quote]

Was on Gold 104.3 Thursday night this week too

1 Like