Pure Gold Network

ARN has done nothing to keep the 4kq audience and I don’t think that crossover is going to do anything.

2 Likes

BBQ Bob will be doing breakfast. Other shows should continue as normal with a farewell special from 6-12pm on June 30.

3 Likes
5 Likes

4kq isn’t signing off yet, just the breakfast show.

3 Likes

Great report on 10 tonight

6 Likes

That was made clear during the report - there was a more comprehensive report on the 6pm news on Nine as well.

5 Likes

Does anyone have links to the 9news/10 news reports ?

1 Like

A very sad day for Brisbane radio :confused:

6 Likes

Here is a compile of the 3 main reports - no story on ABC News 7pm

5 Likes

Apparently, ARN did own 4BH for a Period of Time in the Late 90’s, but sold it to DMG once both Companies jointly launched 97.3.

2 Likes

That’s correct. ARN acquired 4BH in January 1997 from Mike Norris (who owned QFM at the time) for $11.5 million.

2 Likes

That blue/gold “Radio 4KQ” sign reminds me of the time on a Gold Coast family holiday in the 1980s when my sister got excited when she saw a similar 4KQ sign that she thought was 4KO (as we had 2KO here in Newcastle).

7 Likes

Unfortunately not. ARN lost interest on 4KQ when they focused sales on agency rather than direct sales which is how KQ was profitable.

ARN undermined profit and belief in their own, successful product. Most shareholders would be unaware of this.

The approx $1M/yr profit that ARN claimed KQ was making is predominately from two station buys of 973 and KQ by agencies.

Writing on mobile, I can’t scroll up to quote other comments, the bids for KQ that I am aware of is that SEN at $12M was the highest.

A staff member bid $10M to retain the format and was knocked back

10 Likes

Would have to listen to the ad breaks of Cruise to listen for direct clients/different clients to Mix.

4KQ wasn’t “making money” as the direct sales team had been let go. Simple as that.

6 Likes

It looks like ARN could not be bothered to update the schedule for next week

4 Likes

They never do change it do they?

3 Likes

they have stopped the constant promotions for LG&M. They have nothing to promote anymore.

1 Like

LG&M still being promoted on 4kq.com.au mind you

1 Like

FYI, this is big news even in US radio circles

9 Likes

Your last point is interesting and totally valid too. While there’s a lot of anger directed at SEN here (as well as ACMA and the Act they work under), ARN are not blameless either.

Imagine you’re a radio network that’s forced to sell one of your two music stations - do you a) sell it to someone in the know who would keep a format that might be competitive to your remaining assets, or b) sell it to someone who intends to bomb the place and install a completely different format that is likely to bomb and not pose a threat to your assets.

Of course, ARN chose the latter, hence the demise of 4KQ we are about to experience. Good business sense maybe, but very detrimental to the listening options of the Brisbane people.

13 Likes