Pure Gold Network

Gold 104.3 are doing an ‘Ad Free 60’ this morning. Austereo circa 2007 called, they want their concept back :wink:

4 Likes

10-11? Haven’t they been doing that for a while now? Haven’t listened myself to that slot for about 10 months.

2 Likes

Yes they have been doing this for a couple of years at least

3 Likes

It was indeed 10-11. Consider me out of the loop then!

1 Like

Christian O’Connell marks its first year on-air tomorrow. https://www.mediaweek.com.au/christian-oconnell-golds-breakfast-hope-makes-it-to-first-anniversary/

2 Likes

Details on the new ARN websites over in the Corporate thread.

4KQ, Brisbane’s number one weekend radio station has a number ones weekend. I reckon that for some of the songs, it’s the first time I’ve heard them in stereo.

4 Likes

According to The Courier-Mail (via Radioinfo), Laurel Edwards (part of 4KQ’s breakfast team) puts the resurgence of 4KQ down to the ability for listeners to now hear the AM station on new digital devices, levelling the playing field with FM stations. She says that digital radio, and the fact that the station is now available on streaming apps such as iHeartRadio & RadioApp, had resulted in a “more honest way of listening”.

4 Likes

I have no clue what that means. You’ve honest if you listen via some form of digital technology but dishonest if you listen on AM?

1 Like

I think she’s right. When I hear KQ in public places it’s always on DAB and not AM

2 Likes

I think they mean listening via an “official” source eg. via a station authorised app, and via not a ‘back door’ link through TuneIn or some other means… Apparently this has been affecting their revenue as they are not getting “hits” for it that they can demonstrate to advertisers.

2 Likes

An editorial by James Cridland on Radioinfo about the great success of 4KQ: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/radio-not-just-am-and-fm

6 Likes

Great article. Although the irony is that ARN do NOTHING to promote 4KQ on DAB… nothing.

2 Likes

It’s a great article indeed. Good to read a balanced perspective from a relative newcomer.

The problem at KQ is the problem suffered by radio across this country, they don’t bother to harness the simple benefits that they have - the clarity of digital radio.

From national broadcasters to commercial, to community, far too much reliance on external platforms of streaming and other platforms.

Digital radio is a complete distribution method that the stations pretty much next to own.

They’re dudding themselves of value for money.

5 Likes

Yes digital radio SHOULD be a great leveller for commercial AM music stations - stereo sound, probably equal to FM if its at least 64kbps. And none of the electrical impulse noise that AM suffers from.

Availability in cars is probably the big stumbling block, particularly if more than 3 years old, though many current models have it. But some still don’t, even though DAB has been around for nearly 10 years already.

5 Likes

i was going to post this on the radioinfo article (i probably will as well) but i’ll pop it here too.

as someone not in the industry (with with an interest) the first rule should be availability. I have a house full of smart speakers i use to listen to radio (I don’t even know if i own an am radio any more)

If i ask my alexa to play a station and it can’t - i don’t keep trying. I’ll find another station or play sportify.

it’s also smart to be on these devices for an older skewing station because a lot of older people are now getting these smart speakers (generally as a gift) as a health and safety measure. we recently got one for my 98 year old grand father in case he has a fall he can contact me through my speaker, or the one my mother owns.

5 Likes

4KQ have a voiceover stating,”Proudly local and Brisbane ‘ or something like that.

3 Likes

Yeh I heard one like that too. Shows that people like local radio.

1 Like

WSFM are doing an ‘All 80s’ weekend.

Not sure exactly why, maybe they just felt like it!

They haven’t done one of these for a while.

4 Likes

4KQ’s weekend is celebrating the 50th anniversary of Woodstock music festival - so lots of psychedelic flower power.

5 Likes