Pure Gold Network

they also have a british one on Fox FM

I haven’t noticed this in Melbourne, though they are using Howard Ritchie (Capital FM London, has done work for the Today (Hit) Network previously) quite a fair bit

1 Like

So why does Sydney get the shit faux American promos?

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=kiis%20promo%20sydney

That. Is. Awful.

Weren’t 2Day doing something similar before Kyle & Jackie O jumped ship?

Yes. And now 2Day and Kiis do the same. The thing is it doesn’t help their ratings whatsover so it can’t be something that makes a difference.

2 Likes

You should see their playlist since Monday, just from reading the following link: Free online radio stations – listen for free at OnlineRadioBox.com

Looking at the link above, WS has been adding more late 00s/early 10s such as from the likes of Adele, Bruno Mars, Duffy & Lady Antebellum, which are the type of artists you would hear on Smooth. By contrast, Gold 104.3 in Melbourne, which is equal #1 FM with Fox, is more rock-skewed and appears to be not as worried about Smooth as WS are, in which WS are now 2.1% behind Smooth in the overall ratings.

Even the SCA’s Classic Hits stations (2MC, 4GR, Mix FM Wide Bay, 2WG, 2RG, 5SE & RadioWest, all of which are to be rebranded to Triple M on December 15) are more true to its format than WS is these days.

3 Likes

Thanks!
That is potentially a really good link!
If only more stations were on it.

That would be really easy for Nova to put together since they have the same 20 songs repeated every two hours. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

With this weekend being a long weekend in NSW, it can only mean one thing: WS is doing “80 Hours of the 80s” this long weekend, which commenced from 3pm today, going until Midnight Monday/Tuesday. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And of course 4KQ is doing a 70’s themed Grand Vinyl Weekend - using their K-Tel Record Selector

Each hour Laurel, Gary & Mark will pull out another one of these vinyl record gems from the selector and play a bunch of tracks!

List of songs:

http://cdn.arn.com.au/media/7596903/grand-vinyl-weekend-2016.pdf

Here they explain what a “record” is and how the record selector worked>

2 Likes

This weekend, 4KQ is doing “Monster Hits Weekend”, where they play the hits that got to #1 or close to it according to Brisbane’s Top 40 charts in the 60s, 70s & 80s.

Here’s the song list: http://cdn.arn.com.au/media/7597770/monster-hits-2016.pdf

1 Like

Yeah it’s been pretty good at times. I have to hand it to 4KQ especially on weekends. It has to be the most adventurous classic hits station in the country at times, and in a major metro market too.

2 Likes

I suppose that’s an advantage of being on AM, they are forced to be a bit more adventurous and cant afford to be as safe as WSFM or Gold 104.3.

And you can still hear it in stereo via digital radio in Brizzy.

I would agree with you on that. Personally, I think 4KQ would be up there with 6iX (also in a major metro market), 2CA & 2GN/2XL in “the most adventurous classic hits stations in Australia” category. And yes, they’re all AM stations too.

Of the main Brisbane-based commercial stations, 4KQ would be the only one I listen to.

Yeah it’s a shame 2uw and 2ws became fm in the 90s

I am going to set up a crowd funding site so we can send the programmers from Sydney’s 2CH to Brisbane where they will can listen to 4KQ for a while to see how an AM station can succeed by playing a few “dangerous” classic hits.

You can donate money here: www.save1170.com.au

3 Likes

People still listen to music on the AM band? Do they think they’re back in the 1970s? :joy:

4KQ rates higher than five of Sydney’s FM stations - 2DayFM, Triple M, Nova, KIIS and WSFM.

So people do listen to music on the AM band, especially when the AM station plays music that the FM stations ignore as too “dangerous”.

The band is important - FM has a huge advantage.

But the music is key.

2 Likes

4KQ does well because there is no Classic Hits station on the FM band in Brisbane and there is no station playing a Smooth format.

1 Like

That’s part of it but it’s not quite that simple. There is significant overspill from River 94.9 in the west and Mix FM Sunshine Coast both playing adult/classic hits and Breeze FM in the south playing classic hits verging on Smooth.

4KQ does amazingly well, especially considering there are TWO AM music stations in Brisbane including Magic.

Heck it almost outrages Triple M, now playing “classic rock”.

1 Like