Pure Gold Network

Somehow, I’m going to predict that 2GO’s playlist will probably be better than WSFM’s.

Although in any case, I do have to have a chuckle every time WSFM does one of these special 80s music marathons/countdowns on long weekends. Every weekend is an '80s music weekend (albeit the same 200 songs from the '80s on high rotation, when there’s a slightly broader playlist on the long weekend marathons/countdowns) on WSFM! :stuck_out_tongue:

But having said that, I do recall we were pleasantly surprised by the 80s variety WS served up last time eg.

Respect Yourself -The Kane Gang
Baby Wants To Rock - Mondo Rock
Bop Girl - Pat Wilson

These are songs they don’t normally play on a regular weekend either.

I don’t think 2GOs will be as varied given their 80s music is on the network log too (as KOFM is also doing the Egg-celent 80s too).

If WSFM was to broaden its playlist to include the type of songs that Radiohead has heard on 101.7 then the station would probably see an increase in its ratings.

WSFM could drag some listeners across from Smooth as well as some of the 40 - 54 year olds that listen to KIIS, Nova and 2DayFM.

Combined the CHR radio stations (KIIS, Nova and 2Day) have 22% of 40 - 54 year olds (with KIIS being No.2 for 40 - 54s). One of the reasons these children of the 80s and 90s are not listening to WS is because of their limited and repetitive playlists.

You can get aways with playing only 50 songs when you are a Top 40 station as those songs change over the year. WSFM needs variety as the same 200 songs does not cut it year after year.

In other words WS needs variety for the sake of everyone who grew up in the 80s and 90s. My compilation albums of the 80s are worn out:

• 1982 With a Bullet
  • 1983 Summer Breaks
  • Hitwave '81
  • '87 Hits Out

Time to crank up “1980 The Music” so I can hear Daryl Cotton’s “Same old Girl”. Now that’s pure gold and not the same old gold.

1 Like

Memo to the ARN sales and promo departments…

If you’re going to do a Easter Show bag…please make it last MORE than ONE day! I used it Saturday arvo/evening in and around Moore Park, and the damn thing came apart as I was heading home from the Swans vs Pies game! And there wasn’t anything heavy in it!

I can still use the bag though, just not for anything useful than movable car boot storage.

Also, use a hat that is a tad bigger.

1 Like

2UE, 2DayFM and WSFM use the “whisper” as station ID that Triple M made famous in the 80s.

The Triple M whisper pierced through the air. I think they recorded two different whispers and played one in the left speaker and one in the right speaker.

The WSFM whisper that is used now is pretty weak. Maybe someone from the Triple M’s production team in the 80s could beef up the WS whisper?

P.S. I love the 80s at lunch on WS. Every now and then there is a pure gold gem.

Maybe in the Queens Birthday long weekend in about 4 weeks time (11-13 June), WS might do “80 Hours of the 80s”, where you would hear plenty of forgotten 80s that is not heard on Sydney radio since, well, the 80s. :wink:

Oh, and WS now has “80 Minutes of the 80s” at 7pm Mondays-Thursdays.

1 Like

Herald Sun reveals today that Gold 104.3 is looking into calling an AFL match each week. The report says while it’s unlikely to happen next year, the idea has been seriously considered. The station’s predecessor 3KZ, then KZFM, broadcasted VFL/AFL matches from 1970s to early 1990s and was known for its slogan “3KZ/KZFM is football”. I reckon the Gold broadcast could occur in the next AFL radio rights.

I wish music stations would quit trying to jump onto the sports bandwagon. There is already enough sports now on FM radio.

5 Likes

In Geelong we already get K-Rock, Triple M, 774, 3AW and SEN (missing any others?)

Perhaps AFL Live from overspill?

Well, guess what WS is doing this Queens Birthday long weekend?

Yes, that’s right, they’re indeed doing “80 Hours of the 80s”, which started this afternoon. Geez, I’m almost a psychic when it comes to predicting on when WS is doing an ‘all 80s’ weekend. :wink:

1 Like

Why am I not surprised? WSFM sure love their '80s music long weekends!

True, but at least you get to hear plenty of rarely heard 80s tracks that WS wouldn’t normally play outside of “80s Lunch” & “80 Minutes of the 80s”. Just a few minutes ago, they’ve played “My Old Piano” by Diana Ross, which probably wouldn’t have been played on Sydney commercial radio in years.

3 Likes

I can’t remember when I last heard that song on Brisbane radio

A Yippee-Ya-Yo !

My Old Piano by Diana Ross?

That’s one of those songs I never really liked but because I have not heard it for 20 years I would crank the stereo up and enjoy every minute of it!

Was listening to WSFM on 101.7 around 5:15pm this evening while in the car when during one of the 80’s long weekend songs it went to dead air for around 45 seconds followed by about 45 seconds of Children by Robert Miles until that was cut off by a Gold FM positioner which I didn’t quite catch after which some 1960s song played. I don’t know how long that lasted as I stopped listening.

If I recall correctly hasn’t Children by Robert Miles been used as the first song on their backup ‘tape’ for sometime?

Yes, I’ve heard that “Children” song cut in after dead air before too…
You’re right, it did happen again tonight.,
I didn’t catch or hear a Gold FM positioner though.

I could be mistaken as was in a car full of screaming kids at the time!

Announced in today’s Queen’s Birthday honours:

Ms Amanda Rose Keller, Coogee, NSW.

For service to the broadcast media, and to the community.

1 Like