Pure Gold Network

SEN’s business model is primarily producing coverage of major sports and (in most cases) syndicating said coverage. Having/establishing stations in most capital cities gives them flexibility (more down-the-track rather than now) to decide whether to on-sell their coverage/rights or keep it to themselves in a given state/market.

3 Likes

But how does their business model relate to having next to no listeners?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t mind seeing 4KQ, Cruise1323 and 6iX all under the one banner.

While you’re at it, buy 1170AM and return it to 2CH.

4 Likes

It ain’t gonna Happen, 4BH will become the Classic Hits/Oldies Station for Brisbane anyway.

1 Like

Even if the format stays the same, they will have to call it something different as operators are not allowed to simulcast FM stations on DAB in adjacent markets.

If Rebel was to get DAB access on the Gold Coast for example through a commercial arrangement with ARN, then they would have to launch a separate station called ‘Rebel digital’ or ‘Breeze digital’, even if the format is identical to 99.4 or 100.6.

1 Like

4KQ Christmas Lights competition

5 Likes

As that is how ARN have chosen to set the sales structure since 973 began.

There are KQ exclusive clients if you compare the commercial logs.

ARN and DMG since 2001 have been desperate for big revenue from 973.

KQ made good money for ARN when it was in a duopoly with BH and before voice tracking and lack of live shifts began. KQ has had a dip in audience share in the past, only recently returning to its former glory of the 90’s.

1 Like

That’s what I’d like to see and considered over the weekend.

Another reason for the Grant acquisition by HT&E is that it resolves the problem that DAB+ (if it was ever built for The Knobby) was never going to provide enough fortuitous coverage of Brisbane to match the fortuitous FM signal that River campaigned for when the frequency shift was planned.

2 Likes

If 4KQ leaves ARN, Cruise 1323 should too!

1 Like

what for?

4 Likes

And what is the logic of that?

2 Likes

To Join Capital Radio Network

1 Like

why should ARN not retain it?

3 Likes

Let’s face it, it’s you that want them to leave rather than for any business purposes right?

5 Likes

If anything, I’d like ARN to retain 4KQ and see how they can get 6IX should they convert to FM to make the Pure Gold Network available across all 5 capital cities.

2 Likes

Put i want to SEN grow in Brisbane!!!

1 Like

I think it’s fairly likely that River will take on the Pure Gold imaging and be the proxy Pure Gold network station into Brisbane, with a presence on DAB.

Hot Tomato and Hot 91 I think would end up on the KIIS side for sales purposes, though keeping close to their current formats.

Given an FM pure gold format on River would be more like Gold than 4KQ I’d hope they’d keep a separate 4KQ digital around, especially if they sell to SEN to block out a future competitor. Indeed I’ve posed before they should take the format nationally on DAB.

But while they won’t have 2 stations in Brisbane, it’s otherwise quite a complete 2 station network, so there’s zero reason to think they wouldn’t keep Cruise, want to pick up 6IX.

How the deals shake out with Capital will be interesting, as you could see them being willing to sell out now that their main business partner has sold down. But even if it wasn’t directly bought, the “operational support” deals could see 6IX and stations like 2CA/3GG/XLFM all sold as part of a Pure Gold network buy.

3 Likes

3GG & XLFM (along with Snow FM) are 100% owned by Capital Radio Network, and are not in a JV with Grant.

That being said though, I wouldn’t be surprised if Kevin Blyton eventually sell off his stations to ARN down the track. However, ARN would then have to sell off 50% of Hit 104.7 & Mix 106.3 to SCA (with the latter rebranding to Triple M), as well as selling off 50% of Nova 93.7 to Nova Ent, in order for that to happen.

2 Likes

???

4 Likes

That wouldn’t stop an ad sales deal, HT&E are getting the TRSN operations, so they could easily bundle some of their non O&O stations with their owned ones.

A far better outcome for HT&E would be to trade 50%s around. So SCA get 100% of Hit, HT&E get 100% of Mix and Grant combine their shares to take 100% of 2CA, while Capital keep 2CC. Which in theory they could sell to Nine.

Gives them a clear station for both the KIIS and Pure Gold networks.

1 Like