ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

grant Cameron will oversee krock and bayfm

2 Likes

Can you explain B for me? Same rules, if not more relaxed are in place as at the time SCA had to divest them all those years ago. No one has said anything…

1 Like

With Grant Cameron taking over Bay and Krock, and Alison resigning from Grant to join the board of ARN, what way will ACMA view this???

Either way they could let it slide, or they could find a conflict of interest with a sibling on the board of ARN and the other running Bay / Krock, with the overlap with the other ARN Melbourne stations. If ACMA go them it will certainly end up with Grant suing ACMA like what happened with SCA and ACMA over the Sunshine Coast overlap issue which resulted in SCA loosing their Sunshine Coast stations.

It could even break up the ARN / SCA partnership in Canberra with the Grant and Capital Radio JV in place for the other two stations.

I have no legal knowledge or experience my comments are pure speculation based on what happened on the Sunshine Coast.

Interesting times ahead.

4 Likes

It just comes down to how the purchase is structured, as to whether the change of ownership causes the end of what at the moment is an overlap that’s grandfathered in.

I’m sure smart lawyers are working on exactly what that structure is, but generally in practice basically the only time an overlap is disallowed seems to be when there’s existing ownership in a market that creates a new breach, not just carries forward a previous one.

That’s not to say the ACMA can’t try and push the point, but they haven’t had much luck.

5 Likes

Correction

yesterday I said Lachie Kilby has joined Maddie from 6 am to 9 am, on Power FM Ballarat Breakky Show, that is wrong, Lachie only does the last hour with Maddie, so only does 8 am to 9 am

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Pure Gold Network

This is interesting, but the more I think about the more I think they won’t find an issue. How could/should one be excluded from owning a station simply because your sibling owns a competing one? Two independent people, even if they have previously co-ran a radio network together.

1 Like
2 Likes

How I read this basically we will most likely continue to have shared logs across all the Hot AC stations.

3 Likes

It will be good if ARN rolls out DAB+ to the regional areas, following the acquisition. They will then be able to broadcast their iHeartRadio stations into regional areas on DAB+ as well as The Edge, 80s and 90s.

5 Likes

Good timing for the Gold Coast dab+ roll out, they will be able to match SCA with their digital offerings. and get access to the Gold Coast thanks to their acquisition of Hot Tomato.

4 Likes

Damon Adams is leaving Power FM Murray Bridge’s breakfast show to be the new EP of SEN Adelaide breakfast

1 Like

Damon Adams will be replaced by Craig Pitman at Power FM breakfast.

1 Like

So the deal was expected to be finalised today, has it?

Was expecting KIIS idents to play at 12AM last night to signal the takeover and the announcement of syndicated Kyle and Jackie O to replace regional breakfasts… what a let down!

6 Likes

regional breakfast was going to stay, if anything it would take over from Fitzy and wiper. and it’s not KISS fm regional, it still going to stay with the grant radio stations name

2 Likes

The announcement was completion by November 30, but at the UBS presentation a few days after the announcement it changed to January 2022

2 Likes

so I’m guessing then charlie was right??? kiss will take over grant stations or will it just be the best of the kyle and Jackie o shows replacing fizzy and wiper?

1 Like

No one outside of ARN and Grants really know anything at this stage. Probably find KTJ will be replaced by Will and Woody and K&J Hour will run as well. Apart from that, I doubt much will change. Especially so quickly.

4 Likes

I just noticed on Bay 93.9 & K Rock’s Facebook pages that it says “Wollongong Broadcasters PTY Limited is responsible for this page.” Has this always been the case or is it because of the latest ownership shake up (I know Grant’s are keeping the Geelong stations)?

1 Like

[quote=“TheTARDIS, post:1272, topic:1260”]
Bay 93.9
I cant find what you’re saying anywhere on their Facebook pages. so I would think it got taken down as it says its Geelong broadcasters