Public Transport

Perth’s Airport Line was officially opened by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and WA Premier Mark McGowan this morning.

Did anyone go to the open day today?

2 Likes

Here here and this shows how busy it was!

2 Likes

For those who want to know what the experience of the Airport Line train in its first day of operations was like, here’s a recount of my view.

B-series 71 had the honours of doing the inaugural Airport Line service in its first day of operations leaving the Perth CBD 6 minutes late at 5:18AM, as well as the first ever High Wycombe to Claremont service. I got to the station 30 minutes prior and I was also the first fare-paying passenger to access the platforms of High Wycombe Station. Nine News reporter Jack Hahn was already down at the station platform covering a story for the Today Show by the time I got down via the escalator, even a certain Nine Perth cameraman who have come across at the Perth Royal Show two weeks prior.

Despite a deplay due to the number of trains pulling out of Claisebrook Depot to start the day, train services ran with no problems in either directions of travel and there weren’t any other dramas either.

Spending a few hours at High Wycombe Station this morning after the train ride to/from Claremont, there were a handful of Swan Transit and PTA WA staffs present to ensure things rang smoothly on its first day of bus operations. Certain guests also made an appearance for media coverage including Transport Minister Rita Saffioti with a few media outlets involved including ABC Perth and as stated above Nine News.

Aside from that, I then went on to film or photograph some buses around the station complex until I finally headed home at around 9:00AM, abeit the end of the morning peak.

5 Likes

How were things at Bayswater station? The current station won’t be around for much longer.

1 Like

pretty much only affecting the south. nothing for the west or pretty much the north

The proposal mentions possible extension of Brisbane Metro to Brisbane Airport. I assume that will provide much needed connection between the airport and the northern suburbs, while the existing Airtrain and Con-x-ion shuttle bus serve the CBD, the south and Gold Coast.

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah the new bridge is still under construction, was planned for this September but has been pushed back due to more time for planning and supply shortages.

It is pretty nuts, that $20 fare. For families in particular, its more economical and less hassle with luggage to just order a taxi or Uber.

It would be a waste of money to buy it out, especially when it becomes government peoperty in 10 or so years. But maybe the govt can come to an arrangement for subsidy. Even halving the access fee to $10 would encourage more patronage.

End of an era today - Spirit of Tasmania II is currently docked at Station Pier for the last time before they start sailing to their new mainland home port at Geelong. Here’s SPoT I before departure last night which arrived in Devonport this morning and tonight’s sailing will be the first one to the new port.

Image credit to Ferries of Tasmania FB page: Ferries of Tasmania | Facebook

3 Likes

spot i before departure?

Will this be a bad thing for Tasmania?

Spirit of Tasmania 1 - They’re referred to as SPoT 1 and SPoT 2 around here for a shorter name.

Some people complaining that they have to go an extra hour to get into Melbourne now but for many people it’s great because they don’t have to navigate their way through and out of Melbourne with caravans or boats etc… Travel time will be comparable and the new facilities in Geelong have been purpose built for these ships (and their replacements) and the whole thing has been designed for fast RoRo (roll on - roll off) passenger ferry transport. Several long dedicated lanes for vehicles to line up and queue then they can get out and go in the terminal while waiting and then get loaded on easily.

Melbourne ports were also heavily increasing their charges for ships to dock there too so that certainly was a catalyst as Tasmania is in a difficult position by having to rely so much on Melbourne for our connection to the mainland whereas Geelong from all I’ve heard with friends working at TT-Line have been fantastic and it’s expected to be a big boon for them too.

3 Likes

Follow up report

I don’t get it, What are they saying isn’t being done? Are they upset the plans don’t look like the original concept graphics?

Victorian media always seems to find the negative Nancy take on anything infrastructure.

1 Like

From reading the Age article it seems they want the station to provide a better connection to local businesses, the greater community and the university campus rather than concentrating on being a mere connection station to the Airport. Just how I’m not entirely certain as I’m not overly familiar with Sunshine (been 30 years+ since I’ve spent substantial time there).

Seems like a hit job to me. A growth suburb getting a $13bil train station upgrade and the locals are saying that makes them neglected?

Imagine how the people of Rowville and Doncaster feel.

1 Like

Reckon they wouldn’t have said boo if an election wasn’t upcoming. Just being advantageous.

1 Like