Public Transport

I’m pretty sure they have that problem in Melbourne with their fixed seating.

The degree in my experience in Sydney is it is largely happening when people move the opposite seats over to then stretch their legs, which they can do underneath the seats. They should know better but it’s pure laziness and disrespect for others that sit on the seats.

I wouldn’t be caught dead doing it.

1 Like

Well we managed to keep everything secret from the kids about our holiday and ended up giving them clues with them both thinking we were going to be staying in Launceston for a few days… They were very surprised when we pulled out the masks and revealed we were going to Sydney.

So, last night and today we’ve planed, trained and trammed… sorry… light railed… around the city and will be on the ferry tomorrow morning. I must admit, we started wearing the masks on the train as we had it on from leaving the airport but we were glad to take them off, nobody else was wearing them and after 4 hours we were ready for a break as this was our first experience with them except for doc appointments and little things like that.

I think we’re getting our head around the transport and the Opal cards - much better than the TV. I keep typing in 60 and wondering why I’m not getting Channel 7, it’s bad enough that I still make the mistake at home when not thinking and look to WIN for Channel Nine programming but that’ll be ok in a month or so.

What’s the best app for getting around the city? I’ve been using the Opal app but I swear last time I was here there was an app that I had that was perfect for telling me how to get anywhere and was dead simple to use but that was back in 2013… before the ICC was built as we found today when going around Darling Harbour.

The other perfect thing, staying in Chatswood and we are right on the flight path up high with fantastic views and a brilliant view of the transmitter at Artarmon. I know people like to go celebrity spotting but I’m just looking at things like Artarmon and knowing why that is familiar and North Sydney for Nine and Ultimo for ABC and Martin Place etc…

4 Likes

Sounds like you’re staying at the Meriton?

I’ve stayed there too, and agree great view of the skyline and TXs!

Not sure on the app side of things though. I’ve always just used the transportnsw.info site, but it doesn’t look like they have their own app.

Enjoy your trip.

1 Like

Yep, that’s the one. A pretty impressive place I must say considering our usual style of accommodation. Once I become a multimillionaire I could move to a place like this!

1 Like

And you have community radio right above you.
2NSB’s (99.3) transmitter is on the roof of the Meriton.
Reception was surprisingly good considering.

1 Like

TripView is a good app to get around Sydney & NSW on public transport.

3 Likes

[Perth]

Due to software changes in the SmartRider system, the two zone journey cap fares promised by the McGowan government will start from January 2022 and the free parking at train stations may end on 30th June according to official documents.

Meanwhile, the new Davis Road underpass in Kelmscott has just opened a few days ago with some works still currently in place.

1 Like

Makes sense that the new zoning system would coincide with the SmartRider upgrade (for those outside of Perth, this will allow debit / credit cards and Google / Apple Pay functionality with SmartRider infrastructure.

Wonder if that will be the same month they open the Airport Line too…

Buses, glorified buses

11 Likes

Indeed. Now that these vehicles are called “trackless trams” rather than trolleybuses or buses it seems that they’re starting to come into contention.

2 Likes

A trackless tram is just a fancy way of rebranding a bus

3 Likes

I can see them merging tram and car lanes so you lose the advantage of trams being less exposed to traffic jams in peak hour.

It’s not gonna happen. If you read the article it’s just someone in a thinktank trying to stir shit.

The new generation trams will have batteries on board so that the max draw down from the overhead is less (ie during acceleration), and that when the trams brake, the energy can be regenerated back into the battery rather than being wasted as it currently is (DC doesn’t allow for regeneration back to the overhead). It’s quite smart when you think about it, power the tram from the battery which can take short bursts of high power usage, and constantly charge the battery from the overheard at a medium/middle constant rate, thus being more efficient overall.

3 Likes

It’s been announced that maiden operations on the Forrestfield-Airport Link will be pushed back to early 2022.

Also today, the McGowan government announced a $1.3 billion project which includes an elevated station for Armadale and grade separations within the rail crossings in Cannington.

Sounds like the new Smartrider rollout will occur in sync with the opening of the Airport Line.

1 Like

[Perth]

A photograph of one of the four electric buses to be used on the Joondalup CAT and routes in the Joondalup Contract Area has been revealed today on social media. The statement made by Minister for Transport is below.

https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pages/McGowan/2021/05/Electric-buses-on-track-to-start-Joondalup-CAT-trial-in-January.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1KJtwDhXdEC4jqu2rp1mA_nq8zmMpHTmFjZ3wmP_LeN-fi-UTOqysxtPg

Meanwhile, masks are still mandatory on Transperth/PTA services when the interim restrictions have lifted, this confuses me as what if someone decided to take public transport at one point after another mode of transport. Like taking an Uber to the city and then going home by public transport.

Well Have a mask with you just in case; problem solved ?

2 Likes

Not always the case as some people will forget to bring one.