Public Transport

Well pack it in your bag , have two. If need be. It’s not that hard.

1 Like

The project is expected to be completed by 2030.

3 Likes

I fail to see how 2 new rail stations will “slash” travel times for “millions”. That’s an exaggeration that Nine News Queensland would be proud of.

3 Likes

the Hunter Street station will have entrances on the corner of Hunter and George Streets and Bligh and O’Connell Streets.

This will be the CBD terminus for the Metro West line.
Given its proximity to the existing Wynyard Station, perhaps the new station should be called Wynyard as well?

That might confuse people in that they are not the same station, even if they are in the same suburb.

The resulting station would be too big and sprawling. They might have entrances opposite each other on George St but you still have to walk a block in opposing directions to get to the actual station/platforms.

They’ve also got form in separating new/old infrastructure - Pitt St and Town Hall don’t have a connection between them despite being directly alongside each other, and the two stations at Martin Place are entirely separate aside from a couple of pedestrian links between them. Only at Central have they really integrated the Metro into the old station, but that’s part of a bigger (and long overdue) transformation.

3 Likes

2 ex-ACTION Renault PR100.3 high-floor buses have made it to preservation in the west coast.

1 Like

I know this was talked about earlier but there is some new info here:

“SkyBus head of operations Matthew Carney said the company planned to eventually move towards a 15 minutes frequency over the course of its initial seven-year contract with Brisbane Airport.”

this is a must if they are able to compete with the airtrain that has a similar frequency, but i’m still not sure why you’d take a bus (and be caught in traffic) when you can get the train for only a few dollers more and be above the traffic

1 Like

As someone pointed out in the travel thread, the Brisbane Skybus route travels via Kingsford Smith Drive rather than the Airportlink tunnel which has tolls, so the trip is slower.

Agree and what’s with the name?

Darug language word for emu.

It’s rare to find an ex-London AEC Routemaster in Australia which most of them have been preserved these days luckly. An example can be found at the Gingin British Car Day which is held every year in Gingin, a town north of Perth. Don’t ask me why there is an Mercedes-Benz O305 (Also preserved) on the left of the Routemaster.

2 Likes

A study by Vicinity Centres (which owns The Glen and Chadstone shopping centres) and Monash University has proposed trackless tram running from Rowville to Caulfield via Monash University and Chadstone. It will cost $1.4 billion and be finished by 2025. A light rail route is estimated to cost $2.9 billion and a heavy rail route up to $3.4 billion.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/trackless-tram-proposal-for-rowville/news-story/cb06c4f8529599aed07919fa0b34d783

2 Likes

Chadstone is a fantastic shopping centre, but having buses as the only form of public transport is a big minus.

3 Likes

For example, a train can travel from Flinders Street to Sunbury where it lowers the pantograph, and use its own battery power to continue on to Gisborne.

2 Likes

Batteries can be useful, just like is seen on modern trams.

DC power doesn’t allow for regenerative braking (AC does, because it has both phases). So the batteries are constantly charged at a constant rate lower than peak charge (for acceleration), and the batteries are used to run the train. When decelerating, power goes back into the battery. Typically these types of systems have smaller batteries because you have a smooth input from the overhead at all times to constantly top up the battery. Would need to be a big battery if you’re talking about Melton to Bacchus Marsh, or Deer Park to Wyndham Vale.

1 Like

IMO it should still be shown on the map as a transfer station between the two. I’m pretty sure there are platforms at Central further apart than the Wynyard-Hunter Street metro walk.

Ditto for Sunbury to Gisborne which I mentioned above.

A train with battery could also be the solution for the Stony Point line on the Mornington Peninsula. Currently, a V/Line railcar (usually a Sprinter model) runs between Frankston and Stony Point, but has to return to Melbourne city for maintenance and overnight storage. Whenever there is scheduled trackwork between the city and Frankston, the V/Line train can’t travel through the worksite so buses have to replace the train service on the Stony Point line. The new generation of trains can stable at Seaford depot between Seaford and Kananook stations, so if there is any interruption north of Seaford, Stony Point line trains can still operate. It will not only increase passenger services to the area but also boost tourism to Hastings and even Phillip Island (a ferry travels between Stony Point and Cowes during the day).

This will require substantial upgrade to the Stony Point line including new signalling, boom gates and concrete sleepers.

Aside from maintenance, is there a reason why the Sprinter unit couldn’t stable there?

FWIW I’m almost certain the battery bit is a load of bunkum, much like the trackless tram garbage from last week.

1 Like

The Sprinter unit can’t stable at Seaford because it doesn’t have diesel refueling facility. It has to go all the way back to West Melbourne facility at Dudley Street, opposite Festival Hall.

1 Like