PTV Network graphic mocks

Great! The only thing I would think about is safe areas.

5 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, @TBoy. The channel watermarks and programme return graphics have been updated.

PTV

SHAKE

GEM

TURBO

VIVA

HOME

4 Likes

60 MINUTES GRAPHICS

Below are the graphics for PTV Network’s weekly current affairs programme, 60 Minutes.

In my opinion, the New Zealand 60 Minutes team is made up of five correspondents (i.e. Garth Bray and Mark Crysell from TVNZ, Guyon Espiner from RNZ, Melanie Reid from Newsroom and Paula Penfold from Stuff) and there are three items each week.

Together with a pool of field producers, camera crews and editors, the five correspondents work hard to produce major items ‘about, for and made by New Zealanders’ on a five-week turnaround of research, filming, editing and transmission.

The items are introduced in the studio by three of the five 60 Minutes correspondents. One correspondent will introduce a locally produced item and the other two will, on a rotating roster basis, introduce overseas items (one from Australia’s Channel 9 and one from the US’s CBS). There is a “Mailbag” segment at the end of the programme and the correspondent who introduces the local item will present updates on previous items and viewer responses via post or email.

The graphics, in which I created using Microsoft PowerPoint, are layered on a green screen or chroma keyed with the correspondent sitting on the right hand of the screen.

All images contained are samples only; no copyright infringement intended.

CLOSING CREDITS

@TV3_NZ @Michael_Eccles

Based on the CBS 60 Minutes programme, licensed by CBS Broadcasting Inc. All rights reserved.

5 Likes

Some of your end boards for your channels are tough to read the text @PaddyTePou

5 Likes

@fournews Thanks for your feedback!

3 Likes

I think you could say
“Australian Correspondent
Tara Brown”
or “60 Minutes Australia Correspondent
Tara Brown”
(obviously you’d say US for CBS stories) because I don’t think a lot of New Zealander’s would realise off the bat that Channel 9 means Australia.

3 Likes

@foxyrover I have just updated the graphics to include “Correspondent” in overseas stories (sourced from Australia’s Channel 9 and the US’s CBS), rather than “CBS Correspondent” and “Channel 9 Correspondent”.

2 Likes

PTV NEWS GRAPHICS - REFRESH

Below are the refreshed graphics for PTV Network’s News and Current Affairs programmes - Sunrise, PTV News, Nightline and Te Hēteri.

These are inspired by @medianz and the refresh of 1 NEWS through TVNZ.

There is a fixed flipper on all its programmes with the latest headlines and weather information. (During Te Hēteri, the headlines within the fixed flipper are translated into te reo Māori as it is the official language of New Zealand. See images 7, 10 and 12 for English translations.)

@TV3_NZ @Michael_Eccles

5 Likes

Looks good :+1:

3 Likes

@TV3_NZ Well, thank you. Why don’t you give the mock graphics a go?

2 Likes

PTV NETWORK CHANNEL BRANDING - REFRESH

@Michael_Eccles @TV4 @fournews @LiamP @Kathryn_Milin @TBoy Below are the refreshed graphics for PTV Network’s channel branding (except Bubble, MAX and MAX 2).

The colours for each channel are used primarily in promo endboards, end credit promotions (ECPs) and programme return graphics (PRGs) in which I created. I will be uploading channel-specific promo endboards and PRGs as soon as this post is finished.

Each promo endboard (PTV, for example - see below) carries a ‘circle’ motif, similar to BBC One’s endboard. At the top is the transition animation, and at the bottom of the previous image is the final endboard.

There is an additional endboard for trailers promoting two programmes where possible.

And I created a revamped programme menu. Classification, audience advisory and additional labels, such as an ear symbol (for programmes with captions for the deaf and hard of hearing) and an AD icon (for programmes with audio descriptions for the blind and vision impaired), are included in the menu.

Here’s a revamped ECP, which carries on the ‘transitional’ motif.

Here’s a channel watermark and revamped PRGs. With the exception of programme classification and audience advisory labels, additional labels such as an ear icon (i.e. captions for the deaf and hard-of-hearing) and an AD icon (i.e. audio descriptions for the blind and vision impaired) are only displayed on the screen at the start of the programme.

Classification and audience advisory labels are also displayed after each commercial break, as does the programme titles (i.e. what’s on now, on next and after the following programme). It’s called ‘now, next and later’.

In terms of on-screen presentation, here’s a revamped cross-channel menu (CCM). Although there are 12 PTV Network channels (PTV, Shake, GEM, Turbo, Viva, Bubble, GEM 2, Home, Taste, MAX, MAX 2 and BBC World News), I will, in future, divide the CCMs into three:

• CCM 1: PTV, Shake and GEM (see below)
  • CCM 2: Turbo, Viva and GEM 2
  • CCM 3: Home and Taste

Each CCM includes PTV+, PTV Network’s streaming and on-demand video platform, which is always displayed at the bottom. One of the programmes, chosen at random, is streaming now.

And finally, a revamped audience advisory screen for programmes classified PG or higher. A classification symbol and audience advisory label(s) appear on screen at the start of the programme on all channels - see below for examples - then reappear with additional symbols such as an ear symbol (i.e. captions for the deaf and hard-of-hearing) and an AD symbol (i.e. audio descriptions for the blind and vision impaired).

What do you think?

Please note: All images contained are samples only; no copyright infringement intended.

7 Likes

Looks great @PaddyTePou

1 Like

Thank you, @fournews!

1 Like

PTV NETWORK PROMO ENDBOARDS (CHANNEL SPECIFIC)

Below are the transition animations and final endboards for each channel (except Bubble, MAX and MAX 2), as discussed in my previous post.

PTV

Transition animation

Final endboard

SHAKE

Transition animation

Final endboard

GEM

Transition animation

Final endboard

TURBO

Transition animation

Final endboard

VIVA

Transition animation

Final endboard

GEM 2

Transition animation

Final endboard

HOME

Transition animation

Final endboard

TASTE

Transition animation

Final endboard

PTV+

Transition animation

Final endboard

Please note: All images contained are samples only; no copyright infringement intended.

1 Like

PTV MOSAIC CHANNEL - REFRESH

@Michael_Eccles @fournews @Kathryn_Milin @TBoy @LiamP Just given the PTV Mosaic Channel, an interactive feature, a bit of a revamp.

I understand supercharging my dream television network - PTV Network New Zealand (Patrick Te Pou Enterprises Ltd) - to 12 channels might not suit everybody and if it becomes a reality, I want them to watch all 12 PTV Network channels in the way that works for them.

I created a new improved and refreshed PTV Mosaic Channel which allows you, the viewer, to watch all 12 channels on your TV at the same time. Simply move the cursor on your TV remote, and either hear an audio of your chosen channel (i.e. the blue border) or select it to see a full screen view.

The PTV Mosaic Channel is an interactive feature for Freeview and can be accessed by pressing the red button.

5 Likes

PTV NETWORK CHANNEL BRANDING - REFRESH UPDATE

@Michael_Eccles @TV4 @fournews @LiamP @Kathryn_Milin @TBoy I just want to take a moment to say a few words.

As a New Zealander I understand that some members of the public may be upset and angered by the use of te reo Māori (the Māori language), the official language of Aotearoa New Zealand, in mainstream media. Racism, or racial discrimination, hurts my home country and cannot be tolerated.

In my opinion, S4C (in Wales) is a Welsh language television channel and many of its promotional material, including trailers, is presented in a bilingual format (see below for an example).

Image courtesy of S4C. No copyright infringement intended.

In response, I had to update the channel branding package and weave te reo Māori into it. The package - promo endboards, programme menus, end credit promos (ECPs), programme return graphics (PRGs), multi-channel menu and audience advisories - will be similar to S4C and there are translations in English and te reo.

GLOSSARY

• Ā te rā nei = Today
  • Ā te pō nei = Tonight
  • Āpōpō = Tomorrow
  • Ā te wiki nei = This week
  • Ā tērā… = Next… (e.g. Ā tērā Rāhina = Next Monday)
  • Ia rā wiki = Weekdays
  • Ia pō wiki = Weeknights
  • E haere ake nei = Coming soon
  • Kei tua ake nei = Still to come
  • Mātaki mai = Available now
  • Ināianei = Now
  • E whai ake nei = Next
  • Ā kō ake nei = Later

UPDATED GRAPHICS

Below are the examples of my updated work.

Promo endboards

Programme menus

Programme return graphics (PRGs)

End credit promos (ECPs)

Multi-channel menu

Audience advisories at the start of programme

Although we are supporting and promoting the use of te reo Māori, PTV Network New Zealand (Patrick Te Pou Enterprises Ltd), as a fictional broadcaster, is NOT an indigenous broadcaster. We are a private, commercial, mainstream broadcaster that is based in Aotearoa New Zealand and designed to cater for a diverse audience of as many New Zealanders as possible.

It’s about diversity, not racism.

2 Likes

Well said.

Just thinking about official languages, What does PTV do in the way of closed captions? Anything in terms of sign-lanuage?

@TV4 To make content more accessible to non-Māori speakers, all Māori language programmes airing on my dream network - PTV Network New Zealand (Patrick Te Pou Enterprises Ltd) - will carry on-screen subtitles in English. It is intended that English subtitles will be funded through NZ On Air.

I created Te Hēteri as the Māori news service of my network which leans towards the style of TVNZ’s Te Karere. Because Te Hēteri is a live-to-air programme, English subtitles will only be available in repeat broadcasts (e.g. Te Hēteri broadcasts live on my network’s main channel, PTV, at 4pm and is repeated with subtitles at 5.30pm on GEM).

For fluent speakers and learners of the language, certain programmes, especially homegrown programmes, will carry te reo Māori subtitles where possible. Subtitles in te reo can only be accessed by pressing the SUBTITLE button on a Freeview TV or set-top box remote; this is usually represented by SUB, SUBT, STTL or a line of dots at the bottom of a square. It is intended that te reo subtitles will be funded by Te Māngai Pāho.

On-screen New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL), similar to the BBC’s former Sign Zone service, is in the pipeline but closed captioning for the deaf and hard-of-hearing will be available in most programmes, including English language news and current affairs programmes and selected live sports events, across various PTV Network channels. Nearly 80% of the programmes will be closed captioned.

For the benefit of the blind and vision-impaired, audio descriptions (AD) in certain programmes and most movies will also be available.

1 Like

I mean this in the kindest/most polite way possible (i.e. I wanna know more because I’m Australian), but what does this exactly mean? Like how does the mainstream media use te reo Māori in an offensive way?? (Obviously racism/discrimination against any group is disgusting, just curious)

1 Like

I appreciate your concern, @McMuffinMan17, but I just don’t know what that means as my brain is going a little bit crazy.

In fact, the Broadcasting Standards Authority (BSA) in my home country had received 27 inquiries about the use of te reo Māori in mainstream media since June 2020 - five times more than in the same period the year prior - two of them resulting in formal complaints.

The BSA encourages broadcasters to respond to any complaints about the use of te reo by telling the complainant it is not a breach of standards. It said te reo Māori was an official New Zealand language and noted its use was protected and promoted by existing law.

I’ve enjoyed sharing my mock graphics with you and since I first appeared on New Zealand television earlier this year, you should be very proud of me. It’s about diversity and my favourite sad song is “7 Seconds”, which is sung by Youssou D’Nour and Neneh Cherry.

1 Like