Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh Death (1921-2021)

The future? More like the present!

Who will host?

And presuming Nine’s technical gremlins are continuing, probably controlled etc out of Nine Melbourne (even if presented from Sydney)?

Yeah, it was a pre-prepared obit story (although documentary length) that you might expect on a news broadcast, but again documentary length.

ABC:

ABC News Channel

11:00 pm - 2:00 am AEST Prince Philip Funeral

The funeral for Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, held at St George’s Chapel in the grounds of Windsor Castle with 30 people in attendance due to UK COVID restrictions.

3 Likes

ABC TV has a one-hour special on Prince Philip tonight.

9.30pm - 10.30pm HRH The Duke of Edinburgh 1921 - 2021
The remarkable life story of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip, the man who stood beside Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II for over 70 years.

EDIT: it was the BBC documentary which was shown across Britain last Friday evening. The documentary was pre-recorded and only broadcast after Philip’s death.

4 Likes

I think that documentary was cut short and it went to 5 News with Catherine Jones for a short while to bring it back to the broadcast times, but with Royal related programming.

1 Like

Sky News (Ch 600):

11:00 pm Prince Philip Funeral

Sky News brings you complete coverage as the UK pauses for Prince Philip’s funeral.

3 Likes

Seven:

Thursday 15 April
Sydney, Brisbane, Perth
08:30 PM The Duke And I
Meet some of the people who have been influenced by a meeting with Prince Philip and the positive effect he had on their lives. Also look back on The Duke’s dedicated service in The British Navy.

Friday 16 April

Melbourne, Adelaide
7Two
08:30 PM The Duke And I
09:30 PM Movie: The Queen

Saturday 17 April

Sydney
07:00 PM The Latest: Seven News The Duke Of Edinburgh’s Funeral
07:30 PM Movie: The Queen
9:30 PM - 1:00 AM The Funeral Of The Duke Of Edinburgh

Melbourne, Brisbane
10:30 PM - 1:00 AM The Funeral Of The Duke Of Edinburgh

Adelaide
9:30 PM - 12:30 AM The Funeral Of The Duke Of Edinburgh

Perth
07:00 PM Seven News Special
07:30 PM The Funeral Of The Duke Of Edinburgh
11:00 PM The Duke And I Rpt

7 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see who is hosting each networks coverage. 7 seem to be doing the longest coverage?

According to The Times, the BBC has received more than 110,000 complaints about its coverage of Prince Philip’s death, the highest number of complaints in television history. Most complaints were that the coverage was excessive, while 400 viewers expressed disappointment that Prince Andrew had featured in tributes to his father while another 233 people complained about BBC presenters’ dress while presenting segments about the Duke.

4 Likes

Channel Seven’s coverage seems very long and excessive running from 9:30pm to 1am.

5 Likes

The thoughts of Alan Jones on Sky News.

If there’s anyone “in touch” it’s the 80 year old millionaire with a live in “housekeeper”.

9 Likes

Not what I was expecting, can’t see it rating, I mean pre funeral coverage for hours? It’s not even airing in Melbourne (or will it?) Not that I’m not surprised either.

1 Like

They’re adopting the same strategy they used for Harry & Meghan’s wedding a few years ago in terms of having an excessively long build-up. Considering they had the most-watched coverage that night, guessing the thought process is being on-air early allows them to build momentum as more and more people start tuning in.

One other factor - while ITV haven’t announced their funeral coverage plans yet, Sky News UK is promoting that their coverage will begin at 9:30pm (12:30pm UK time) too. As such, Seven beginning their coverage at the same time will allow them to dip in and out of that if they need/want to

3 Likes

Sounds like it’s following the footy:

2 Likes

Yes but not the 7pm-7:30pm and 9:30pm-10:30pm portions that other markets get (and not showing on any other channel in Melbourne either, at least at this stage).

2 Likes

What a moron.

1 Like