Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Tour 2018

Discussion of media coverage of Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, and Fiji 17 day royal tour (if any).

Preliminary Schedule

• Tuesday, 10/16: Sydney, Australia
  • Wednesday, 10/17: Dubbo, Australia
  • Thursday, 10/18: Melbourne, Australia
  • Friday, 10/19: Sydney, Australia
  • Saturday, 10/20: Sydney, Australia
  • Sunday, 10/21: Sydney, Australia
  • Monday, 10/22: Fraser Island, Australia
  • Tuesday, 10/23: Suva, Fiji
  • Wednesday, 10/24: Suva Fiji
  • Thursday, 10/25: Nadi, Fiji and Nuku’alofa, Tonga
  • Friday, 10/26: Nuku’alofa, Tonga, and Sydney Australia
  • Saturday, 10/27: Sydney Australia
  • Sunday, 10/28: Wellington, New Zealand
  • Monday, 10/29: Wellington and Abel Tasman National Park, New Zealand
  • Tuesday, 10/30: Auckland, New Zealand
  • Wednesday, 10/31: Rotorua, New Zealand

Even the announcement of the tour dates was front page news :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It is front page news on today’s Herald Sun as well.

2 Likes

Good to see parochialism is alive & well in Australia.

Where did you get that itinerary that has the dates using the USA format?

About 90% of info in the Media Spy in box is in that format i.e. October 10th etc. Also seems to be preferred by TV stations for promos and watermarks. I adjust the media releases to the Australian Govt standard when posting program times, premiere dates etc.

No quibble with October 16th, just 10/16.

1 Like

I think the Courier Mail headline is better with the use of ‘heir’.

Did all markets get the bobble heads in Nine’s itinerary report? :open_mouth:

Melbourne last night Screenshot_2018-09-12-12-46-52 Screenshot_2018-09-12-12-57-48Screenshot_2018-09-12-13-03-52

Why are going back and forth to Sydney so much? Better question still, instead of multiple visits to Sydney, how about Adelaide or Perth or or remote centres?

Invictus Games.

They are only doing day trips to Dubbo and Melbourne.

1 Like

As mentioned in the Nine News Content & Appearance thread last night, Sophie Walsh last night did a pre-recorded segment for Sydney’s news which looked looking at all the locations (even Fiji, Tonga & New Zealand) Harry & Megan will be visiting during the tour.

True to form, Nine News Sydney went all out for the graphics:

Anyway…

Mainly so they can be in town Invictus Games as per @eddel, but I agree that October 19 & 21 probably could’ve been better used to visit other locations of Australia (remembering how William & Kate attended both during their April 2014 tour of Australia, perhaps Canberra and/or Uluru?) while still being in Sydney for the start & end of the Invictus Games.

Either way, the Australian media will probably be much more interested in the Royal Tour than the general public is. Aside from hearing about what the coverage is like, I don’t really care anyway.

2 Likes

The Opening Ceremony is on 20 October, that is probably why they are spending more than one night in Sydney. Harry is I’m guessing attending other functions during the day in the lead up to the Opening.

1 Like

Whoops, of course, sorry I completely forgot about the Invictus Games, carry on.

1 Like

Seven Melbourne have advised the following

Tuesday 16 October 2018
03:00pm - 04:00pm AEST Seven News Special: The Royal Tour

In addition, Seven Morning News has been marked to run from 11:00am - 2:00pm on Wednesday and Thursday.

Wednesday 17 October 2018
Seven Morning News

Thursday 18 October 2018
11:00am - 2:00pm Seven Morning News

Note that other markets haven’t confirmed this.

1 Like

Kensington Palace released more details about the tour on Monday this week.

Updated coverage for Seven

Tuesday 16 October 2018

11:30am - 1:00pm Seven News Special: The Royal Tour
03:00pm - 4:00 pm Seven News Special: The Royal Tour

Wednesday 17 October 2018

11:30am - 2:00pm Seven News Special: The Royal Tour

Thursday 18 October 2018

11:30am - 3:00m Seven News Special: The Royal Tour

Friday 19 October 2018

15:00 Seven News Special: The Royal Tour Harbour Bridge Climb
Join Michael Usher for continued coverage of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Royal Tour of Sydney, which today sees them climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Note - Qld, SA and WA receive delayed coverage.

There is a one hour live Nine Morning News on Tuesday at 11:30am in Sydney and Melbourne, 10:30am in Brisbane, 11:00am in Adelaide, 8:30am in Perth.

Today and Today Extra are live everywhere on Tuesday. Except in Perth where Today will be delayed as usual and finish at 8:30am followed by the Morning News. Today Extra has been dropped in Perth replaced by Who Do You Think You Are? and Extra.

1 Like

Channel 7 showing things delayed in Perth

Monday - The arrival

Today

Sunrise

3 Likes