Pointless

I love the UK version. Looking forward to this unless Denyer is the host.

1 Like

Really hoping they keep Richard’s fake laptop in front of him or I will be very disappointed

Yeah why not? It’s not as if young people are even watching TV much these days anyway. Why not try and have a better retention from the 5pm news and take away some total viewers from the 6pm bulletins on Nine and Seven?

Pointless is normally a 45-minute show for BBC so Ten will need to trim it a fair amount to suit a 30-minute format unless The Project 6:30pm gets the bump. Importantly I hope and trust they will include a studio audience as they do in the UK. Unlike The Chase UK/Australia where it’s all canned.

3 Likes

Would’ve been a good get it Ten had been able to secure Bath for the role.

1 Like

I think that would have been an odd choice.

1 Like

Now, him I’d watch. And he’d be a new face for most viewers which would be a huge plus.

2 Likes

Remembering the excitement generated over her fill-in ABC News NSW presenting stint last year, I can also imagine how much of a frenzy Media Spy would’ve been whipped into if Chris Bath was chosen to be the host of Pointless! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mark Humphries would be another interesting choice as host, but I think his style might be a bit “too ABC/SBS” for mainstream commercial TV audiences to appreciate.

Knowing what commercial TV gameshows are generally like, I’ll bet that Ten will try and get some sort of polarising Grant/Eddie/AOK-type host.

2 Likes

Don’t you watch Studio 10 five days a week?

5 Likes

Micallef pls

1 Like

He’s already doing a game show, a topical game show and a scripted comedy show. Somebody less exposed would be good.

Gretel?

3 Likes

Pointless confirmed to be coming out of Ten’s Pyrmont studios (if it wasn’t already?), surely a host has to be announced very soon.

Filming dates are:

27 June 11:30am
28 June 12:00pm & 4:00pm
05 July 12:00pm & 6:00pm
06 July 12:00pm & 6:00pm
10 July 12:00pm & 5:30pm
12 July 12:00pm & 5:30pm
20 July 12:00pm & 5:30pm

2 Likes

Pretty much confirms it will air nightly

This next game show they’ll squeeze that lemon dry again by doing it nightly… again

1 Like

It airs nightly in the UK, why can’t that happen here?

As long as it’s only 5 nights a week to not overdo it, they can come up with something else for 6pm Sunday’s to fill that slot.

1 Like

Wishful thinking from my end, but going by the recording dates (and times) above, are there initially only 15 episodes being filmed? It can air once a week in the final ratings quater of 2018. If successful, then can somehow air weeknights in 2019?

Isn’t that what Channel Seven did with Deal or no Deal. Air a weekly game show first, then air it nightly some time after? (And to an extent, Nine’s Who Wants to be a Millionaire into Hot Seat).

But knowing what Ten is like, they will most likely air it weeknights!

I think we’ve reached a point for a game show to air once a week it has to be more than just a regular game show, it has to be spectacular in concept ie. The Wall, Game of Games, etc. A normal, run of the mill game show just isn’t weekly appointment viewing, they don’t have a hook to keep you coming back. You can get away with a more traditional style game show when it’s every night when it creates familiarity, consistency. Pointless once a week wouldn’t make a dent in anything, in my opinion.

1 Like

This show looks so boring based on watching the UK Version.

The sessions are up to 6 hours long, they film multiple episodes back to back. My guess is that they have commissioned an initial run of 50-60 episodes which will last then 10-12 weeks from September through to the end of the year.

4 Likes