Podcasts

MORE ACCLAIM FOR LiSTNR’s THE CHILDREN IN THE PICTURES PODCAST

LiSTNR’s The Children in the Pictures, the podcast that takes listeners inside Taskforce Argos, a team of Australia’s best detectives dedicated to infiltrating global criminal networks and rescuing children from online sexual abuse, has been garnering accolades at home and abroad.

The premier LiSTNR audio docu-series has just been announced as a finalist in the prestigious 2023 Kennedy Awards in Audio Journalism: Outstanding Podcast.

In just six months since its launch, The Children in the Pictures podcast has been recognised with a Gold at the New York Radio Festival Awards for best narrative documentary and most recently took out best documentary at the Radio Today Podcast Awards in July this year.

The Children in the Pictures is in the running alongside other high profile journalists and their stories, with winners announced on August 18th at a gala dinner in Sydney

The podcast was the first release from the Factual team at LiSTNR, tasked to develop narrative investigative docu-series on crime and injustice. It is led by Executive Producers Emma Lancaster and Belinda Lopez, award-winning storytellers who have created highly-regarded and innovative audio documentaries and podcasts for several national and international outlets.

“The production of the series was demanding due to access challenges, the disturbing nature of the content and legal hurdles. The final product is robust in its journalism, careful in its handling of disturbing material, victim-focused and trauma-informed. The result is an eminently bingeable series for parents and true crime listeners,” said Belinda Lopez.

The Children in the Pictures follows Taskforce Argos, an elite Australian Police unit, as it investigates and dismantles The Love Zone (TLZ), a nefarious child exploitation network operating in the dark web. A brave original production, the eight -episode podcast series sounds the alarm into the heinous and pervasive world of online child sexual abuse and offers advice to combat it.

“To tell this story, the LiSTNR team went to great lengths. We went to court to request the removal of a longstanding suppression order that gagged the media from speaking about the specifics of this case. DNX Media, our collaborating producers, secured special judicial approval to release the police interviews with the Australian kingpin running the TLZ site. Taskforce Argos also gave remarkable access to key evidence from its investigations,” said Emma Lancaster.

“We are not interested in making true crime content in a traditional or trope-based way. We are committed to demonstrating how stories of crime reveal systemic injustices in our legal system and world. And our productions are focused on making real world impacts,” said Emma Lancaster.

Akhim Dev, the host and co-producer of the series said: “Law enforcement officials in Australia and internationally are using the podcast as a training resource, the Australian e-Safety Commissioner has also acknowledged the podcast’s contribution to creating awareness about a deeply misunderstood and generally avoided topic.”

“We want to sound the alarm on this issue - protecting our kids takes a global village.”

The Children in the Pictures is one of many exciting non-fiction and fiction projects coming out of LiSTNR’s Factual and Drama vertical, headed by Jennifer Goggin.

Spy into the lives of two millennials doing their best and giving advice in SBS’s latest comedy podcast – The Parasocial Social Club

If you love learning heaps of personal stuff about people on the internet including their embarrassing trips to the emergency department and tips on asserting dominance over landlords, SBS has all the laughs in its newest video podcast, The Parasocial Social Club.

SBS’s latest comedy podcast brings together the millennial wisdom of comedian, writer and actress Jenny Tian and stand-up comic and host of SBS’s Love Me Love My Anxiety, Kevin Jin.

This laugh-out-loud series is a quippy, back and forth banter between two friends trying not to screw up their adult lives, with each episode wrapping up with some well-intentioned but perhaps misguided advice.

Jenny Tian, best known for her comedy on TikTok, brings her dry wit to this exploration of one-sided relationships we have with personalities on social media.

“A parasocial relationship is one you’ll experience on the podcast. You’ll know everything about us, and we’ll know nothing about you,” Tian said.

“When I heard that I get to chat with one of my best comedy friends, Kevin Jin, I got very excited. We have the most ridiculous conversations and I’m glad some of that stupidity got recorded.”

Throughout the six-part series, Tian and Jin make observations on dating and growing up Asian-Australian, as well as trade uncomfortably honest truths like having a secret second doctor for sexual health questions, turning up at the wrong funeral, and being an adult who owns only one fork.

Co-host Kevin Jin said: “The experience was quite an honour getting to chat about dumb stuff with a good mate that complete strangers get to listen in on,” he said.

“It was a lot of fun riffing and jiffing with Jenny. It’s the most millennial thing that I have ever done, and I hope that it one day haunts my professional and or personal life.”

A key part of each episode is a piece of well-intentioned advice on modern dilemmas like how to quit your job, how to be popular in the office and how to make a long-term marriage sexy again - despite both hosts having zero expertise on this topic.

Jenny Tian said her advice giving comes with a cautionary warning, “I rate my advice-giving skills a strong zero out of ten, so don’t take our advice but absolutely still listen to the podcast.”

All six episodes of The Parasocial Social Clubareavailable to watch on SBS On Demand and YouTube, or listen on SBS Audio, Apple Podcasts, Spotify and other streaming services.

2 Likes

SECRETS WE KEEP: SHAME, LIES & FAMILY

LiSTNR LAUNCHES EXTRAORDINARY NEW DOCUMENTARY SERIES

Journalist, Amelia Oberhardt, thought she knew her mum. Until she died. At her mum’s wake, Oberhardt discovered a photo of her mother as a teenager, wearing a wedding ring, standing beside her apparent husband and cuddling an unknown baby. Determined to find out more, and to understand what the photograph represented for her family, Oberhardt embarked on a journey that led to the hidden secrets of 1950-1970s Australia.

This is the premise of Secrets We Keep: Shame, Lies & Family, the new original audio docu-series from the LiSTNR News team. The first two episodes of the nine-part season are available now.

The series delves into a subject both extraordinary and surprisingly common – the hidden histories of secret pregnancies, shotgun marriages, forced adoptions, and the challenges faced by young women in impossible situations. It is the story of what happens when young women, from just a generation ago, are put in impossible situations, and where this messy knot of secrets leaves families decades later.

To create this podcast Oberhardt, and LiSTNR’s team of award-winning producers, have navigated their way through a dark era of 1970s Australia. According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, in 1971-1972, 1 in every 28 babies born in Australia was adopted*. For context, in 2020-21 this figure was 1 in 1145 babies*.

Podcast host, Amelia Oberhardt, said: “I have been on this journey to find answers to my own family secrets for more than a decade. In that process, I found out so much more about the time that my mum was coming of age. It wasn’t easy to be a young woman in Australia through the 1960s and 1970s.

“What surprised me during the making of this series, is just how common this story is for so many families and how many are still impacted today. I really hope this series can help to heal these families, because it certainly helped change the way I feel about my mum.”

LiSTNR Head of News and Information, Melanie Withnall, said: “This first season of Secrets We Keep is a deeply personal journey for Amelia, as well as a companion podcast for anyone seeking to untangle their own family secrets. Knowing the extreme sensitivity of the subject matter, the LiSTNR team has taken exceptional care and applied a best practice trauma informed approach to creating the content.

“We are very proud of this first series. In future seasons, the LiSTNR News team behind Secrets We Keep will continue to explore extraordinary news stories that have become woven into the fabric of Australia.”

Episode one and two of Secrets We Keep: Shame, Lies & Family is available now on LiSTNR. New episodes of the nine-part series will drop every Tuesday.

*Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics.

THE JOCK AND JOURNO SWAP THE LOCKER ROOM AND NEWS DESK FOR THE MICROPHONE IN PODCAST RETURN

Collingwood legend, Scott Pendlebury (the Jock) and the Herald Sun’s, Jay Clark (the Journo) have today resurrected their Jock and Journo podcast*,* with the first episode of the new season now available on LiSTNR.

The podcast, which has been on hiatus since June 2020, returns in time for the 2023 Toyota AFL Finals Series.

Jock and Journo sees these great friends bring their love and passion of the game to the microphone, talking all things AFL, the wider world of sport and life beyond footy. Coming together every Monday with different perspectives, listeners are guaranteed to hear latest news and opposing views as it all unfolds.

Past guests of the podcast have included the likes of Joel Selwood, Patrick Cripps, Gil McLachlan, Jordan De Goey and Steele Sidebottom.

Looking forward to the podcast return, Scott Pendlebury said: “Now is a really exciting time to jump back in and dig deeper into the discussion around footy, the players and the world of sport, which Jay and I are both really passionate about. We’re really pumped to bring this series back for fans.”

Jay Clark said: “We wanted to bring back the podcast because we enjoyed it, and thought it provided a different dynamic from some of the footy commentary out there. Also, Scott has been begging me to join forces with him again, so I finally caved!”

LiSTNR Senior Manager of Sport (Live and On-Demand), Michael James, said: “Jay and Pendles led the way in footy podcasting, and we are thrilled to bring this fan-favourite show back in time for the AFL finals. With Footy Talk and Ben and Harry going from strength-to-strength, LiSTNR Sport is the go-to podcasting destination at the pointy end of the season.”

Hear the first episode of Jock and Journo now on LiSTNR. New episodes will drop every Monday.

LISTEN TO EPISODE ONE HERE

LiSTNR CONFIRMS LUKE AND SASSY SCOTT TO CONTINUE AS ONGOING PODCAST SERIES

The people have spoken and LiSTNR has listened. After an amazing limited series of Luke and Sassy Scott, the podcast has proven a smash hit and will continue as an ongoing weekly title with LiSTNR, Australia’s largest podcast sales representation network*^*.

It seems Melbourne brothers Luke and Scott O’Halloran can’t put a foot wrong and world domination may be just around the corner. Having already taken social media by storm, with over 1 billon views of their hilarious video content across their online platforms, the boys are now bona fide podcast stars, leaping into the Triton Ranker’s All Australian Top 150 podcasts after just two episodes.

When Luke and Scott launched their podcast, they put the call out to their followers to jump on board if they wanted the series to continue beyond the initial six week run. The result was an avalanche of five-star reviews and cries for more.

Luke said: “What started as a few fun videos, has exploded into an entire new career as podcasters. We continue to be amazed with the response to our content and are wrapped that this has also extended to our podcast. We’re having so much fun making the podcast that it’s hard to believe we can call this our job.”

Scott said: “We were kind of joking when we asked our listeners to beg if they wanted more than six episodes of the podcast, but we can’t believe that they actually did! We love engaging with the audience for the podcast and their willingness to get involved by sharing stories that are even more wild than what we could ever imagine. We can’t wait to hear and share more; it’s going to be a crazy ride.”

LiSTNR Original Podcasts Head of Entertainment and Culture, Sam Cavanagh, said: “Luke and Scott’s podcast was a smash hit after only publishing a couple of episodes. Having launched a lot of podcasts, this is the first time I’ve seen a show grow its audience so quickly and is testament to how well the boys were able to adapt their video content for a podcast audience. We are excited to keep working with them for the long term.”

Listen now to Luke and Sassy Scott on LiSTNR here. New episodes drop weekly every Wednesday.

Sources: ^Australian Podcast Ranker - Top Sales Representatives – July 2023, *All Australian Podcast Ranker Top 150 Podcasts – July 2023

The new podcast, called Strike Force Five, will launch on Spotify today (August 30).

EDIT 31/8: the podcast will also be available on other major podcast platforms in Australia.

1 Like
1 Like

SPORTS BIZARRE CELEBRATES 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF AUSTRALIA’S WIN OF THE 1983 AMERICA’S CUP WITH SPECIAL PODCAST SERIES

On Monday, 26 September 1983, Australia II crossed the finish line in the deciding race of the America’s Cup, ending the longest winning streak in the history of sport, 132 years.

The moment instantly became one of Australia’s greatest sporting moments, uniting a nation that was coming off a devastating drought, tough economic times, and failure at recent Olympics Games.

Following Australia’s unexpected triumph, newly elected Prime Minister Bob Hawke famously said, “any boss who sacks anyone for not turning up today is a bum.”

Popular podcast Sports Bizarre with Titus O’Reily and Mick Molloy will celebrate the 40th anniversary of the victory with a special series exploring the history and rare facts of the America’s Cup.

“Growing up, this victory loomed large over the country. It created the Boxing Kangaroo, made Men at Work’s ‘Down Under’ an anthem, and got everyone to call for a public holiday whenever Australia wins something. All great things,” said Mick Molloy.

The series will examine the history of the America’s Cup and the 1983 race and includes:

• Queen Victoria’s role in starting the race in 1851
  • James Gordon Bennett Jr, the newspaper tycoon who raced his horse and carriage naked around New York, while overseeing the race as Commodore of the New York Yacht Club
  • P. Morgan, the American financier who used his wealth and power to ensure the United States kept the cup
  • Sir Thomas Lipton, founder of Lipton’s tea and the man who would challenge five times for the cup, only to lose every attempt
  • The arrival of the Australians as challengers in 1962, with the backing of Sir Frank Packer
  • Alan Bond picking up the mantle and to launch four challenges that led to the 1983 triumph

The series will cover the build-up to the 1983 race, the appointment of John Bertrand AO as skipper, the rise of his nemesis Dennis Conner and Ben Lexcen’s design of the infamous winged keel and the Americans attempts to ban it in court.

For the final race, Sports Bizarre covers the dramatic comeback from 3-1 down, a victory so big that Alan Bond said: “This is Australia’s greatest victory since Gallipoli.”

“With characters like JP Morgan, Sir Frank Packer, Sir Thomas Lipton, Alan Bond, Bob Hawke, Dennis Connor, Ben Lexcen and John Bertrand, this is a wild ride,” said Titus O’Reily.

“We want to tell the story of not only why this meant so much to the country in 1983, but why it is one of the greatest achievements in the history of world sport.”

The series begins on Monday, 4 September, and runs throughout the month, culminating in a special episode on the 40th anniversary, Tuesday, 26 September, with an hour-long interview with the winning skipper John Bertrand.

The Sports Bizarre special series celebrating the America’s Cup begins today, with the first episode available now on LiSTNR.

LISTEN TO THE FIRST EPISODE HERE

1 Like

How many Podcasts out there are also done with video? Similar to the way Channel 9 and Foxsprts are doing some of there podcasts.

Heaps. Google is your friend.

Most.

1 Like

Former 90210 star Brian Austin Green, who was eliminated on the new season premiere of The Masked Singer last night, has launched a new podcast Old-ish, with his partner Sharna Burgess and Tori Spelling’s brother Randy. In the first episode which dropped today, Green touches on his divorce from Hollywood star Megan Fox and Burgess shares the backstory to their love story, while Randy will also use his life coach credentials on the podcast.

1 Like

Stand up comedian Ivan Aristeguieta stands up to the English language in new SBS podcast

A letter of complaint on behalf of all English learners, SBS Audio’s entertaining new podcast Bad English laughs and cries at the absurdity of the language that makes the rules and breaks them all.

Bad English is a new SBS Audio podcast discussing the lows and rock bottoms of learning the most widely studied language and one of the most difficult for language learners.

Venezuelan-born comedian Ivan Aristeguieta is the host of the new seven-episode series available on SBS Audio and podcast platforms from Wednesday 27 September.

Aristeguieta sits down with an exciting line-up of guests to commiserate over one of life’s hardest lessons – English – as well as look deeper into the laws of language with the help of English teacher and expert Ai-Lin Bhugan.

Brimming with wisecracks and witticisms, Aristeguieta also draws out candid and personal stories that will strike a chord with multicultural and multilingual Australians.

Criminal lawyer and 2017 NSW Australian of the Year, Deng Adut talks about learning English watching The Wiggles with his nephew and bringing a dictionary to his job at a petrol station; refugee and chef Niro Vithyasekar picked up English in an immigration detention centre after arriving by boat, and stand-up comedian He Huang talks about going viral for her stand-up routine audition on Australia’s Got Talent using her experiences as an international student.

Guided by the philosophy that there is no such thing as ‘proper’ English, Aristeguieta says English is only partially teachable and the rest you must learn through practice.

“Twenty per cent of English is the teachable part, the part that makes sense. The other eighty per cent is the part that doesn’t make any sense,” he said.

Bad English is a safe space to talk trash about the English language without the fear of losing your visa. English is not a language, it’s an interpretive dance of what a language should be. If you say something in English and it doesn’t make any sense to you, you are probably saying it in the right way.

“It’s been a privilege to talk to people who have incredible life stories where they’ve been resilient and resourceful and have made learning English part of their success story.”

In episode seven, lawyer, Deng Adut describes being conscripted as a child soldier before arriving in Australia as a refugee, settling in Blacktown, Sydney and starting to learn English at 15 with his nephew Joshua.

“Joshua, he was two years old, he was the one who introduced me to the English language because he used to watch Wiggles and I started watching Wiggles with him and pretty much started repeating what the Wiggles say,” Adut said.

“Joshua was too young to tell me I was stupid in learning a new language, so I think Joshua was the best person that actually helped me to learn English.”

Ethiopian-Norwegian Artist Olana Janfa who created the podcast artwork and is a guest on episode three, says he openly admits that he does not strive to have, ‘good English’.

“I don’t speak good English, but people told me I have a confidence to speak. I don’t see language as a level of intelligence,” says Janfa.

Aristeguieta takes listeners on a journey of success stories including stand-up comedian Takashi “Waka” Wakasugi, Afro-Brazillian author and poet Guido Melo, and refugee to award-winning Ethiopian-Australian comedian Joe White.

For those on English ‘L’ plates Aristeguieta advises not to take English too seriously,

“I used to be worried about people not being able to understand me, so I would practice by putting a pencil in my mouth and talking which forces you to move your other muscles and enunciate,’ he said.

“You should speak like yourself and enjoy yourself because language is the ingredient and accents are the way you cook it up.”

From stacking adjectives to word stress points, Bad English dives deep into the contradictory and counter-intuitive world of learning English. Episodes will be available weekly on SBS Audio from Wednesday 27 September.

Bad English Made Better, an adaptation for English learners will be available as a video series resource from Monday 23 October with Ai-Lin Bhugan.

Nine’s premium podcasts: audience growth and industry awards

In an incredible month for 9Podcasts, 9News Queensland production of Hannah’s Story claimed the Kennedy Award for Outstanding Podcast of the Year, and Anthony ‘Huddo’ Hudson’s Nothin’ Like the 90’s was awarded Best Podcast at the Australian Football Media Awards.

Both productions are industry-leading examples of the powerful storytelling medium of podcasts, and the quality of the Nine Podcast Network. Hannah’s Story continues to be recognised for the powerful voice it gives to Hannah Clarke’s loved ones, the first responders on the scene, witnesses, domestic violence experts and political leaders; delving into the shocking murders and igniting a crucial community conversation about coercive control. Huddo’s Nothin Like the 90’s takes a lighter approach, entertaining and educating listeners by bringing the decade of iconic footy back into the modern day, as he speaks to the biggest players, coaches and personalities that made AFL in the 90’s so pure.

These award-winning productions contributed to the Nine Podcast Network posting its second highest monthly audience in August 2023, with over 1.7 million monthly listeners across the slate of premium Australian podcasts.

Ben Fordham Live remains the top podcast within the 9Podcasts stable, with over 188,000 monthly listeners tuning in – a 66% YoY increase. There is a similar success story across the breadth of Nine’s catch up radio podcasts, with 3AW Breakfast with Ross and Russel (+45%) Mornings with Neil Mitchell (+34%) and The Ray Hadley Morning Show (+20%) all boasting significant double digital podcast audience growth compared to the same time last year.

9Podcasts originals are continuing to gain loyal listeners across the slate of premium News, Sport, Entertainment and True Crime programming, and footy finals fever has well and truly arrived, with fanatics listening to the expert analysis and commentary across 9Podcasts’ slate of footy programs.

The 3AW Football podcast has jumped up 36 positions in the podcast ranker, with more than 100,000 monthly listeners (+70% YoY growth), Six Tackles with Gus has jumped up 16 positions, with 93,000 monthly listeners (+33% YoY growth) and further audience growth has been seen across 100% Footy (+35%) and Footy Classified (+44%).

The new footy podcasts in the slate The Billy Slater Podcast, Eddie & Jimmy also continue to grow in popularity across both audio and youtube.

LISTENERS AUG 23 YoY CHANGE
Nine Radio Catch-Up 876,150 50%
Nine Original Podcasts 871,548 12%

Head of 9Podcasts, Mia Stern, said: “It’s fantastic to see listeners continue to discover our premium Australian-created podcasts and make podcasting part of their daily habit. The breadth of our content slate, profile of our talent, and strength of Nine broadcast and publishing brands continues to deliver high quality audio content across our key verticals News, Sport, Entertainment, True Crime and Radio podcasts”

Source: Triton Podcast Metrics, August 1-31 2023, Downloads, Listeners.

1 Like

SBS asks, Should You Really Eat That?

Prawn, cheese, bread, coffee and rice

Join food writer Lee Tran Lam on a culinary podcast adventure starting Thursday 12 October: the show explores changing attitudes to rice, bread, cheese and other staples across the world – and how confusing it is keeping up with what’s ‘good’ for you.

TRAILER HERE

De-mystify the world of food and nutrition on SBS Audio with the insight of acclaimed chefs, restaurateurs, and dieticians – at a time when eating the ‘right thing’ seems challenging.

Should you actually put olive oil or salt in your coffee, as recent food trends suggest? And which seafoods are actually sustainable? The subject is so confusing that award-winning chef at Attica restaurant, Ben Shewry, took finned fish off the menu for two years, being unsure what to ethically serve.

SBS Audio’s newest podcast Should You Really Eat That? explores the cultural, social, and nutritional confusion over the staples in our diet, like rice, bread, tea, coffee, cheese, and seafood.

Host and food writer Lee Tran Lam uncovers why some foods get a bad rap in Australia yet are enthusiastically consumed in other parts of the world.

“The idea for the podcast started when I read a dietician’s advice that they’d never put white rice in their shopping trolley, yet the grain feeds millions around the world and so many national dishes are built around white rice,” Lam said.

“Similarly, humans have also been eating bread for thousands of years, but there’s now so much anti-bread sentiment. So, in the podcast we try to make sense of that: what’s happening to shift our perceptions and palates?”

A delight for curious food lovers, in Should You Really Eat That? Lam seeks to find out where these assumptions come from, how they differ between cultures, and to sift out the grains of truth.

First on the podcast menu is rice, where the co-owner of Sydney’s Chat Thai restaurants and host of SBS’s Water Heart Food, Palisa Anderson, describes eating a Thai sticky rice that literally translates as ‘this rice is so good, I’ve forgotten about my husband’.

Anderson also discusses the importance of rice in Japan, where she lived for several years. From being physically embodied in people’s homes via traditional Japanese tatami floor mats to being the star of kaiseki haute cuisine which has inspired fine-dining tasting menus around the world.

“Consuming rice is so ingrained in Asian countries that the main greeting in places like the Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam is, ‘have you eaten rice yet?’ said Lam. “In Japan, the names of meals translate as morning rice, noon rice, and evening rice.”

In episode one, Adetokunboh Adeniyi of Sydney’s Little Lagos and Brisbane’s Lekki By Little Lagos, shares memories of eating West African jollof rice at significant events in his Nigerian homeland. Adeniyi confesses that while many were panic-buying toilet paper during the early days of the pandemic, he was stocking up on rice.

But rice’s reputation has suffered in the west, due to its high glycaemic index and fears of food poisoning. In extreme cases, you can die from consuming cooked rice that hasn’t been properly refrigerated.

However, rice also gets a nutritional boost from being left out to cool. “So, we have a bit of a complex story there with rice, don’t we? You can cook it and cool it and it’s good for you. But cool it really quickly and put it back in the fridge, so it doesn’t do any harm,” says Dr Evangeline Mantzioris, program director of Nutrition and Food Sciences at the University of South Australia.

A balance of sweet personal reflections and salty truths about the foods many adore, Should You Really Eat That? dives into the food bowl to get to the bottom of how we should eat. Should You Really Eat That? is available to listen on SBS Audio, Spotify, Apple Podcasts and other streaming platforms. The first episode on rice drops on Thursday 12 October and episodes will be available weekly.

The six-episode series will feature guests including:

• Good Fish ambassador and Attica’s Ben Shrewry on which seafood is actually sustainable to eat.
  • Dr Quan Vuong from the University of Newcastle reveals how to extract the most health benefits from your tea (and whether you should actually drink it at yum cha).
  • Sydney roasters Nawar Adra (Stitch) and Rowena Chansiri (Ickle) share their expertise on how to make a good coffee.
  • Vannella Cheese’s second-generation cheesemaker Giuseppe Minoia on how he couldn’t give away burrata two decades ago – and now it’s on every restaurant menu.
  • Indigenous chef Chris Jordan and owner of Brisbane’s Three Little Birds on using seafood to tell a story about the environment; he also uses seafood to teach incarcerated youth how to cook.
  • Start The Spread’s Xinyi Lim on the power of sending people sourdough starter during the pandemic.
  • Smith & Daughters’ Shannon Martinez on producing vegan cheese you actually want to eat.
  • Sebastien Syidalza on being a French baker making gluten-free bread at his Sebastien Sans Gluten patisserie in Sydney.
1 Like
1 Like

New shows coming to 9Podcasts this month

From sport to science and everything in between, four new exciting shows are landing on 9Podcasts this month, with demand for premium podcasts made in Australia for Australians listeners never higher.

So I Quit My Day Job

The popular podcast is joining the Nine podcast family for its fifth season as it travels the bumpy road to achieving your dreams and speaks to those who have successfully made the leap. Each week host, Catherine Mahoney speaks to a different person who has quit their jobs and followed their heart. From hairdresser to crime scene cleaner, to air hostess to funeral homes, the world of magazines to baby whispering, banker to teacher, music teacher to skin care guru, journalist to high class escort – everyone has a great story to share. Now more than ever, people are questioning what they do for work and are looking for ways to create their dream career. Take a listen to these inspiring stories from guests all over the world.

Listen here: ‎So, I Quit My Day Job on Apple Podcasts

Debunks

9Podcasts and Australia’s dedicated Australian science news service, Cosmosmagazine.com are out to debunk topical myths in the news cycle. In the age of misinformation, Debunks will use science to test and debunk common misconceptions. Covering a wide range of subjects from EV batteries, to fitness trackers, bushfires to vices – the podcast will explain the basic and detailed science behind the topic. “The answers will surprise a lot of people,” says Cosmosmagazine Editor, Digital News, Ian Mannix. “And that’s what “Debunks” is all about. Sometimes science isn’t black and white and the complex elements need to be explored carefully. Other times, like our conclusions in the EV series, there is no doubt about the answers.”

Listen here: ‎Debunks on Apple Podcasts

The Heart of Racing

Neil Breen from Nine’s Wide World of Sports has teamed up with Sydney’s youngest metro trainer, Will Freedman for a brand new podcast. Each week they’re diving into the classic yarns that make Australian horse racing unlike any other sport – the trainers and owners, jockeys and strappers, bookies, mug punters colourful characters, they’ve all got endless stories of success and heartbreak, some of which are the stuff of legend.

Listen here: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/the-heart-of-racing/id1706791223

Rugby World Cup: Inside Line

Journalists Michael Atkinson from Stan Sport, Tom Decent from The Sydney Morning Herald, and Sam Worthington from Wide World of Sports dive headfirst into all things rugby and celebrate the pinnacle of international competition: the 2023 Rugby World Cup live from France. From electrifying match analyses to in-depth player profiles, exclusive interviews and lively debates, Inside Line brings you closer to the action in what is sure to be an unforgettable Rugby World Cup.

Listen here: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/rugby-world-cup-inside-line/id1706046233

1 Like

MEET THE GOOD ENOUGH DADS: HAMISH BLAKE, BEN HANNANT, GUS WORLAND, SEAN SZEPS, JOHN BUTLER, STEPHEN PAGE AND MORE – AUSSIE DADS TALKING TO PARENTING EDUCATOR MAGGIE DENT ABOUT BEING… THE GOOD ENOUGH DAD

There are 5.4 million dads* in Australia and for LiSTNR’s new original podcast series, The Good Enough Dad, which launches today, famed parenting educator, author, and champion of boys and men, Maggie Dent talks to some of them about their wins, challenges and stuff-ups, proving along the way that being “good enough” is exactly what our kids need.

“Aiming to be a GOOD dad is important, but you know what, research actually shows that being a good ENOUGH parent is how you ace it,” said Maggie Dent.

Known around Australia as the “Queen of Common Sense”, Dent shares her characteristic humour and simple strategies with dads from all walks of life. Dads like Hamish Blake talk about their fears, their major stuff ups (Blake tells how he was sacked as a dad!), when things have just felt impossible, and when they have truly knocked it out of the park.

Maggie Dent is a trusted voice – her podcast Parental As Anything has won gold at the Australian Podcast Awards, she regularly travels around Australia presenting to parents on resilience, anxiety and raising boys to men, she’s the author of nine books, the mother of four sons and grandma to seven grandkids.

Dent said: “I’ve wanted to do something for dads for a long time. I’ve watched my own sons become fathers, and there is just so little out there for dads. Seeing dads on telly and in ads being the bumbling fool - apart from in Bluey of course! - is frustrating. Dads are doing a great job…it’s time to celebrate our dads!”

And celebrate dads is what The Good Enough Dad certainly does.

Throughout the 26-episode season, Dent chats with good mate and Triple M Sydney host Gus Worland about the man who shaped the father he is today, former NRL star Ben Hannant about how he parents eight kids, and the hilarious How to Dad NZ Instagram star Jordan Watson on how running from half-crazed sheep in the wilds of New Zealand helped him be the dad he is today.

Musician John Butler, singer, actor and TV presenter David Campbell, acclaimed performer Stephen Page, footy legend Brad Kearns, father of twins and podcaster Sean Szeps, comedian and presenter Matt Okine, and TV presenter Tristan MacManus also talk to Dent about their fatherhood journey.

“This podcast will have listeners laughing, nodding in agreement, reliving their own experiences and groaning in understanding,” said Dent. “Being a dad is not easy. I hope listeners want to high five themselves or hug their own dad for all the incredible things he’s doing and done in their lives.”

THE GOOD ENOUGH DAD EPISODE 1: Hamish Blake: “I was sacked” Listen here

The first episode of The Good Enough Dad turns the microphone back on Australia’s favourite son, multimedia star, dad of two, Australian Father of the Year for 2023, host of the Hamish & Andy podcast and host of the popular How Other Dads Dad , the one and only, Hamish Blake.

Blake shares that while his own dad was loving and kind, he wasn’t as present as he needed as a teenager, and he talks about how this affects his ‘dadsmanship with his own kids. “I want my kids to always feel like if it’s important to them, it’s important to me,” he said.

He tells the story that two days after he won the 2023 Father of the Year he had a colossal stuff-up with his daughter Rudy while trying to teach her to ride a bike without training wheels.

“I was sacked. And she was like, ‘I’m not doing it.’ She was saying to the other dad there, ‘I’m not doing it if he’s watching and pointing at me.’ And I was like, ‘Oh my God, how did we get here?’ I was like, this is horrible because she’s disowning me in front of this other dad who’s a great dad. I literally had to face a tree while she was having a go at doing stuff.”

Blake admits to overthinking “the parenting stuff”, and that sometimes he just needs to shut up, saying "You just get so caught up in that whirlwind, and what you’re actually missing out on is being present.”

The Good Enough Dad launches today on LiSTNR, with episodes dropping weekly on Wednesdays.

Source: *Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) 2 September 2016

1 Like