Podcasts

I think because it is made from parts of their radio show.

ABC has launched a six-part musical comedy fiction podcast CrossBread, starring Megan Washington, John Waters, Kate McLennan and Sami Shah. It follows the spectacular rise and infamous demise of the once hugely popular Christian rap outfit CrossBread.

Sonia Kruger has been removed from Mamamia podcast You Beauty because of comments she made about Muslim immigration in 2016. Her episode was released this week but it was removed soon after.

1 Like

Australian Grand Prix Corporation has launched a new podcast In the Fast Lane, with Daniel Ricciardo special guest for the very first episode.

Former Gogglebox members Adam Densten and Symon Lovett have launched a new AFL podcast He’s Been Doing It All Day.

2 Likes

10 are set to announce a new 10 Speaks podcast, “So… Now What? with Waleed Aly.”

Waleed Aly looks at all the ramifications the Covid-19 pandemic will have on society. Are there silver-linings? Can we make some parts of life better now that we have been forced to examine them properly?

1 Like

10 Speaks Podcast The Reality Bites: Cocktails and Roses is back with Mat Whitehead from 10 and Tahlia Pritchard from Punkee for the new season of Bachelor in Paradise.

1 Like

The podcast is hosted by Dr Andrew Rochford.

“One of the claims they made was that people were gaming the chart,” Walkerden told Inside Entertainment host and Radio Today editor Jake Challenor.

“That was breakfast radio shows and drive radio shows were putting lots of episodes out so they would go up higher in the Ranker,” the former Nova executive said.

Of course its being gamed - i’ve noticed that the podcasts that are part of this stupid ranking have changed the way they operate - radio stations (SCA in particular) are pumping out more “episodes” (if you want to call them that), a long form catch up and then a series of shorter snippets which is effectively a duplication of content. Anything that is long form now tends to be split into multiple “Parts”

I dont get how measuring the number of times a podcast is downloaded is particularly meaningful - whats the conversion rate from downloads to listens? are people listening to the whole thing?

3 Likes

I gather that the ranking system is what has led to iheart claiming to be number on for podcasts in Australia. The claim is now included in the opening to every 4KQ news bulletin.

100%. Walkerden’s response of “that may or may not be the case” is the closest you’ll get to someone in the industry admitting this.

You hear it on every iHeart station in the states in their TOTH ID. Pretty much almost every one.

Model Nick Bracks (son of former Victorian Premier Steve Bracks) is launching a new podcast Move Your Mind on Monday, July 27. As well as sharing his own battle with depression he will speak to athletes, celebrities and leaders in their field for real and open conversations.

Steve Price has a weekly podcast that started in late June, where he interviews a media personality. Guests so far have been Sam Newman, Kerri-Anne Kennerley, Hedley Thomas and Peter Helliar.

Hedley Thomas’ latest podcast The Night Driver launches on August 7.

Subscribers of The Australian will have first access to the series via the podcast player in The Australian app. Episodes one and two will be available to subscribers before they are released publicly. Subscribers of The Australian will always be two episodes ahead of the general public.

The podcast made headlines in yesterday’s Herald Sun, with claims by Don Scott that his former club Hawthorn systematically rorting the salary cap during its golden era of late 1980s and early 1990s.

It seems if you asked Julia Gillard for an interview the answer was yes.

She’s promoting a book so of course, that’s how it works.

1 Like

I know.

Future Women launch new podcast series interviewing inspiring women

Future Women is interviewing women on their motivations and inspirations in a new 10-part podcast series ‘Drive’ hosted by 9News journalist and TV presenter Georgie Gardner.

The podcast features interviews with a range of diverse women including actor Rachel Griffiths, podcaster Aminatou Sow, the AFL’s Tanya Hosch, chef Danielle Alvarez, designer Alexandra Smart, Culture Amp’s Aubrey Blanche, Adopt Change founder Deborra-Lee Furness, and entrepreneur Shivani Gopal. It is sponsored by Uber Eats.

Episode one, available on July 29, sees former prime minister Julia Gillard discuss her new book, Women and Leadership: Real Lives, Real Lessons, co-authored with economist Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.

Gardner, a highly experienced TV host, says she has always wanted to try podcasting.

“I really warmed to the longer form of story-telling and jumped at the opportunity to work with the Future Women team. The diverse array of women I have chatted to were as delightful as they were interesting, and I relished the chance to immerse myself in their worlds and learn from their experiences,” she says.

Future Women founder Helen McCabe says Drive was another brilliant collaboration with Nine talent following the success of Next Generation Innovators with Sylvia Jeffreys and then Brooke Boney.

“Georgie’s warmth and curiosity translated beautifully to this format and we are so proud to be releasing Drive with her at the helm,” McCabe says. “We began work on this while everyone was in lockdown which enhanced our desire to produce something uplifting and inspiring. Georgie Gardner is so well known on one level as a News Presenter and Breakfast TV Host, our hope with “Drive” is for the audience to get to know her a little better.”

Uber’s Head of Communications Australia and New Zealand, Peta Fitzgerald says: “Uber Eats is delighted to continue our affiliation with the Future Women movement. Not only is this an important property for quality, in depth journalism it is increasingly becoming a go-to source for future leaders across business, politics and social enterprise. As Uber Eats continues to focus on moving what matters, we know series like the Drive podcast will continue to tell moving, relatable and inspiring stories that matter and that is something we are proud to stand alongside.”

Drive is the latest podcast by Future Women following the success of Anonymous Was A Woman, the Future Women Leadership Series and Next Generation Innovators.

LISTEN NOW or search for ‘Future Women Drive’ in your favourite podcast app.