Pirate Radio

I work in the industry, & have no sympathy for this guy, it’s people like him spoil it & make it difficult for everyone else.
There’s plenty do radio for the love of it, I got into the industry because I love it, do an online station if there really is a market for it that’s not catered for, or join a local community station & present your own show, get on to the management committee & discuss making a community station focus more on a particular format.

There’s plenty of ways to do it properly & there’s plenty of aspirants who’d love to broadcast there own station but don’t.

How does he know he’s not hurting anyone, he’s obviously not a broadcast tech, has he tested & filtered his TX output, with those garbage Chinese TX’s that don’t conform to standards, he could be splattering shit all over the place out of the FM band, could be interfering with aircraft or ambulance comm’s, or screwing up locals mobile phone reception for all he knows, there’s standards & regulations for a good reason? Bet he’d be the first whine if another pirate started up nearby & interfered with him.

Dunebuginator might want to be careful about saying ACMA are notorious for corruption on a public forum also, they won’t take nicely to that, even if they are corrupt.

13 Likes

Did ACMA knock on his door and give him a cease and desist? Or did he just shutdown on his own?

1 Like

I don’t know.

Sigh.

There is no such thing as fair use in Australian copyright law. Broadcast is not a valid fair dealing exception under the Copyright Act (nor is it a fair use exception in the US either).

9 Likes

None of the long term Mediaspy members have done anything wrong here. They’ve complied with laws relating to this. No one here should feel bad/embarrassed/reluctant to post in the future.

Morally too, 99.9% would say we’ve all done the right thing.

The pirate operator is the one who should be apologising not throwing mud at us members.

@RFBurns outlined the problems of unauthorised RF equipment creating widespread headaches.

12 Likes

I wonder if the transmission on 89.5 MHz caused any issues to 2GLF on 89.3 MHz, since the Penrith and Liverpool council areas border each other.

5 Likes

I think 2glf should take a look at how messy their transmission is, sit in heckenberg and it bleeds all the way down to 89.1 and up to 89.5

And the guy was on 25W… Tested out liverpool and found out how messy 2GLF signal is… “Bleeding shit all over the FM band” as you people woul put it.

2 Likes

Lol, just shows how much these guys know.

All FM channels are 200kHz wide, therefore a station centered on 89.3MHz will have a channel that ranges from 89.1 - 89.5MHz.

As you say 2GLF bleeds all the way down & up, that’s because 89.1 is the bottom of their channel & 89.5 is the top of their channel, so they are quite legal to be like that, they’re not bleeding anywhere.

6 Likes

Why don’t you ring ACMA and tell them all this?

They will see your mate walk the plank long before a well meaning community station.

3 Likes

Why the hell would I dog in a “mate”, loyalty is hard to come by these days. Nothing you people would know about by the seems of it.

I would have thought that with people fleeing the fm dial in droves little guys like this would be left alone. After all, if they can get a few kids back, isn’t that a good thing? Most people under the age of 35 don’t own a radio and that spells trouble for the industry professionals out there. Just ask you local bowling club.

no they should not be. the big players pay big money to use the asset (iirc DMG paid over $80 million for 106.9 brisbane) - money that goes into the revenue pool and is used to pay for schools and hospitals.

than from a technical standpoint, there are issues with spurious transmissions all over the shop that could interfere with emergency servcies and other legit users of the airwaves, and from a purely selfish point i am a registered amateur radio operator i had to prove - though an exam - i knew what i was doing and pay my yearly licence fee. as should anyone else using the airwaves

14 Likes

I don’t condone pirate radio but at the same time I can’t say I have never fired up a 10w TX into a antenna to have a play… But christ at least use a decent transmitter, Especially using those filthy CZE TX’s… I bought one myself simply to see just how dirty they are and I was shocked when i put it into a Test Set… they spew more shit then a sick zombie :wink:
In my view the fact the person would even consider putting it to air not to mention actually doing it shows how little technical knowledge and respect for other band users they have.

Same here mate, not everyone finds the tests easy but the effort is worth it to experiment legally for $58 a year…

Oh and BTW if any past posters wish to question my background, I work as a broadcast tech in commercial radio so have a rough idea what I am on about as do a lot of other members on this forum

8 Likes

I’m sure it’s more than a rough idea! You certainly sound like you know what you’re on about! Along with @RFBurns, @radioengineer and @4TAB-1008kHz … apologies if I’ve missed anyone!

It’s always great to read posts from those with industry experience

8 Likes

This little birdie sitting on my shoulder says that a certain someone is back on air :wink:
Very weak in the east.

3 Likes

Sort of applicable but fun fact, If you listen around 7000khz in LSB (at night) you will hear pirate Indonesian operators singing. Booms into Melbourne clear in the evenings.

2 Likes

Picking up 89.5 at my location in NW Sydney. very weak on my hifi through the outdoor fm omni antenna.
Much better received on the car stereo.
No station Id’s heard so far.
Playing hip hop music with very explicit language.

6 Likes

From the RDS Thread:

I did a bit of research on this and found the website links to an ABN: Current details for ABN 85 390 178 724 | ABN Lookup and FB Facebook
An interesting one this one as it seems to well put together, what with the logo and RDS as mentioned before.

3 Likes

Yesterday was Halloween, today is broadcast like a pirate day!!!

89.5 Penrith Valley Bangaz is back on air.

4 Likes