Pirate Radio

Looking at the ACMA database there has been a low powered temporary broadcast at Qudos Bank Arena this weekend. Coincidentally Tony Robbins has been doing his seminar there this weekend. Could he be mind tripping the attendees?

1 Like

Need one of these to track it down:

2 Likes

The station on 89.5 is still on-air now. I listened a bit more and heard another ID which went something like – “89.5 Penrith Valley bangs”. I’m in southern Sydney (40km+ away), so it seems to be getting out a fair way. Also means that it indeed likely is a pirate, given there’s nothing listed on Radcom on 89.5 anywhere around Penrith.

4 Likes

Here’s an audio clip of the aforementioned ID:

Also found their Facebook page: facebook.com/89.5PVB/

Turns out it’s “Penrith Valley Bangaz”.

Based on this photo they posted on their Facebook page, looks like they’re transmitting from a shed at 25W with a “CZE RF” transmitter.

Is anyone else picking up this station?

5 Likes

lol

3 Likes

Well if this is a pirate station then it shouldn’t be too difficult for ACMA to track them down!

Just for what it’s worth, I’m not receiving a signal of this mysterious “Penrith Valley Bangaz” station.

1 Like

It’s pretty weak where I am and I’m over 50m ASL with clear line-of-sight to the west. If I go a bit lower elevation wise, the signal disappears altogether.

2 Likes

It appears to be a reincarnation of another station Starter FM?

1 Like

ACMA won’t take long to wrap this one up. Enough for some field testing and claim a lunch expense, say the roast of the day from the Panthers is about as far as their allowance would extend.

5 Likes

Those CZE transmitters are so easy to buy it’s not funny. I thought the ACMA put restrictions on the importation of those, you cant buy them in Australia so most of them come from Mainland China or Hong Kong from AliExpress or similar websites. I don’t even know if legal licenced use of these would be okay because they probably don’t meet Australian standards.

1 Like

lol not a reincarnation, Starter FM stays online only but we allow stations to take our feed/programs to broadcast. We don’t investigate each station though so whoever wants it they can take it.

89.9 WHCR took a show from us for a while.

Sorry for the double post, looks like they noticed our posts.

3 Likes

I wrote nothing negative about it at all. What is that guy’s problem?

3 Likes

Just looking for someone to blame.

2 Likes

also any one who decides to correct him and tell him hes needs to fact check he deletes it streight way

2 Likes

Oh geez, didn’t think my comment would generate such a reaction.

Personally I don’t wish to ruin anyone’s radio aspirations if they’re catering for a demographic that no one else does, however I don’t think it was unreasonable to have wanted ACMA brought into the equation if “Penrith Valley Bangas” was broadcasting without a licence - which seems likely given that some of the songs played had the F word uncensored (Are you even allowed to say that word on radio?) according to tvcl’s post from last night.

Had they been operating above board, I probably wouldn’t care. But that Facebook post (including the use of “retards” as an insult) is not the type of professional response I would expect to see from any radio station, no matter how big or small.

2 Likes

His problem is people whining about a radio station that wasn’t hurting anyone.

1 Like

Not really relating to this active discussion however if you haven’t seen this movie I suggest you do, It’s dam good.

Subsequent ACMA and APRA/AMCOS red tape would be more time consuming.

3 Likes

Guaranteed that no music royalties are being paid here. Hard to be sympathetic when artists are being ripped off for their work

5 Likes