Parental Guidance

I think Snackmasters will be on Sundays.

There’s been zero promotion for that though.

How do we think this will rate? It’s not my cup of tea but I can see it attracting a decent audiences in the 25-54 demographic. Should do fairly decently given anything Nine airs will rate (as it seems).

Probably alright. As you said Nine could air static and it does fine. Although if it was on 10 I would say low 500’s.

Considering any major reality shows are usually afforded the ‘blanket’ promotion treatment that Snack Masters hasn’t received yet I reckon that show might be coming after Parental Guidance and also potentially stripped to 2-3 episodes per week.

60 Minutes might move up to the 7pm slot with something like RBT + movie taking up post-8pm on Sunday.

I am interested in this concept, although I do not necessarily believe it is a case of one way over the other (though I think I would be throwing items at the tv for some of the couples as I am sure they won’t have a clue).

If this rates unexpectedly well (let’s say 700K upwards and beating their competition on Seven and 10) I could see them bring in someone like Jo Frost for next year.

This year with all the border problems it was understandable that she didn’t make it but I could see Nine making the bigger investment if it turns out to be as successful as they believe it will.

2 Likes

I feel like this will rate well with being up against 2 reality celebrity shows but will people be more interested in watching the 1st ep of BB VIP just for curiosity?

Anyone watching this tonight?

I’m checking it out and it seems like World’s Strictest Parents combined with Married at First Sight (with all the ‘drama’ around discussion and taking pot shots at each others’ style), but obviously more the former than the latter.

The thing that irks me is the fact that these parents are put through ‘challenges’ and other parents are making ‘judgements’ of others with a skew of their own perspectives on parenting. It’s just asking for arguments and infighting (which is probably what they want) and it seems so tacky.

It’s still fairly watchable but I’m not a fan of so much ‘emotional’ reactions by some of these parents to other parenting styles.

Seems all a little scripted. Doesn’t seem sort of real to me, it’s like they are all acting. At least MAFS dinner parties is full on out there real emotions (combined with alcohol I guess)

Are these families already ‘known’ to agencies or networks? Have they been on TV before?

My first thought when I saw the promos was that they were trying to recreate the explosive MAFS dinner parties, hoping it would bring along ratings. Didn’t watch it tonight but we’ll see how it does.

If picked up by the ABC or SBS, Parental Guidance ​probably would’ve become a really good parenting program. Maybe not my cup of tea, but still something you can take a look at and say “hey, I’m sure parents or soon-to-be-parents will find this show rather interesting/informative”!

But since Parental Guidance is airing on Nine, no surprise they’re seemingly appealing to the viewers who’d get hooked by those infamously overhyped “Biggest TV Event of the Year!” promos they run for key events on MAFS and The Block. Infact it just might be worse to sensationalise a parenting show than a dating show, because PG would actually be playing around with the brains of children! :confused:

I think that there is a lot of interesting and content that viewers can relate to and perhaps might be useful in their parenting. But it loses something by being turned into a competition. It could have been a similar show without that component. I suppose the main reason might be they can only fit so many families in the “Crowded House”.

3 Likes

How many episodes is Parental Guidance in total?

If they go 3 weeks with 3 episodes then 9.

1 Like

Just watching last nights first episode and it’s really bothering me that the couples are whispering and judging to each other while another couple is speaking. You don’t have to agree with their style but you’ll get your turn. It’s interesting Ally and Justin haven’t pulled couples up on it.

As expected the show is taking the 7pm Sunday slot next week.

The show concludes with a final challenge on Tuesday 16 November for a total of nine episodes.

2 Likes