Parental Guidance

Parenting: Which way is the right way?

Monday 1 November at 7.30pm

Every Australian parent will be comparing and asking whether their parenting ways are right when Channel 9’s groundbreaking new series, Parental Guidance, premieres Monday, November 1, at 7.30pm.

When it comes to modern-day parenting, none of us are nailing it. But we all have an opinion on how it should be done! Is strict parenting better than letting your kids run free? Do tiger parents produce smarter kids than allowing children to develop naturally?

Ally Langdon and Australian parenting expert Dr Justin Coulson put opinionated parents, with diverse parenting methods, to the ultimate test through a series of the toughest challenges imaginable in the search for Australia’s best parenting style.

Every episode the challenges escalate in difficulty, pushing families to their most hilarious and emotional limits to discover their strengths and the areas they can improve. Here they’ll laugh at their fails, share advice and most importantly celebrate their successes, even when the parent in question can’t see it for themselves.

Do you smack your child? Would your child go off with a stranger? How do you deal with discipline? Do you let your child run free? How would your child react without screen time for 24hours? Parental Guidance will change the conversation around these fundamental parenting issues in Australia.

These outspoken parents will take turns judging each other’s style, tackling controversial approaches to parenting that will divide opinion, cause spirited debate and be very uncomfortable for some.

• Strict parenting style: Andrew and Miriam from NSW
• Nature parenting style: Liadhan and Richard from SA
• Attachment parenting style: Lara and Andrew from VIC
• Routine parenting style: Brett and Tony from VIC
• French parenting style: Yann and Donna from NSW
• Tiger parenting style: Kevin and Debbie from NSW
• Home school parenting style: Deb from QLD
• Helicopter parenting style: Rachel and Sam from QLD
• Free range parenting style: Penny and Daniel from NSW
• Disciplined parenting style: Rob and Sioux from SA

Parental Guidance takes us behind the closed family doors of parenthood, and how we ourselves were raised, to find out how to do it right, right now.

1 Like

As expected, this program is stripped across the week.

This should be a once a week show.

4 Likes

I can see that Nine wants to keep first run shows on during the week but this is an odd show to strip across the week.

2 Likes

You guys don’t know the format yet? Not sure how you can determine what’s it’s length should be?

I’m not surprised at the three episodes a week format. That is how the show is structured where there are a series of episodes that work being close together. The discussion makes it seem that the episodes were filmed close together. Then later some of the parenting families move on to another round.

Interesting way to do the show. So it sounds like the three episodes airing in the same week is somewhat related thematically. Almost like a 3 part series each week focussing on a different issue.

It’s probably going to be 4 isn’t it? Sunday to Wednesday?

Could be the case, or could be 3 and another show (I’m thinking Snack Masters but we haven’t seen ads for that yet) on Sunday. Pretty bold move by Nine nonetheless.

I was honestly under the impression that Snack Masters might’ve been Nine’s main tentpole/franchise from the conclusion of The Block until the end of the 2021 ratings year.

Then again, if promos haven’t been airing yet I suppose it’s quite possible that Snack Masters could be held over for 2022 especially if MAFS isn’t quite ready for Q1.

The following week, The Block is expected on Sunday.

Or maybe Parental Guidance is November and Snack Masters for December. 3/4 episodes a week bringing us to Xmas and tennis?

I know that. That will probably be auction.

I’m talking about after The Block, the following Sunday.

Next week:

The Block is on Sunday.
Parental Guidance is on Monday to Wednesday.
Paramedics is on Thursday.

The Guide in SMH today has a preview of the show.

I think the show could have legs, but twice or once a week. Drag it out once a week and enjoy the high audiences.

Yes twice a week makes more sense.

The article confirms the show will only air three nights a week, Monday to Wednesday.

Only?

I mean, it’s ‘very’ unlike Nine to not air something for anything less than 4 times a week :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: