Paramount Australia & New Zealand

THERE IS A FUCKING GOD AFTERALL

Hopefully CBS invest in proper HD and possibly make channel one HD (leave 12 SD) again!

7 Likes

Even though I thought CBS would probably be a good owner for Ten, I must admit that I wasnā€™t seriously thinking they were going to actually buy the network!

Itā€™ll be very interesting to see how things play out, although one hopes that the new owners will increase funding to the news service and local programing as well as bidding harder against the competition for sporting rights.

Branding wise, letā€™s be realistic here. While Iā€™m sure CBS would like to expand itā€™s brand/presence in the Australian market (and probably will through things like CBS All Access), at the same time Iā€™d probably expect the Ten/One/Eleven channel names to continue at least for now. Surely the new owners realise that the Australian TV/media landscape is run a bit differently to how things are in the United States?

In conclusion, this is probably going to be a really good thing for Ten. If nothing else, having a CBS-owned Ten is certainly a better outcome than a WIN-owned Ten or a News Corp-owned Ten wouldā€™ve been!

9 Likes

Iā€™d like to see the ten brand stay as main channel but the multi channels to have cbs branding.

We need to see a big expansion of news output from the new look tenā€¦ what will be good is more resources and reporters which is good for Australian journalists.

They really need to get their hands on the full cricket package and cbs can offer worldwide distribution for some of these sports.

We also need to see mcgarvey sacked as her strategy has failed.

10 Likes

Yuck!

1 Like

Maybe Ten should take a leaf out of NBNā€™s multiple personality disorder book.

Entertainment content is CBS, except sometimes itā€™s CBSTen.
News content is Ten News.
Multichannels are just CBSwhatever.
And anything else is completely random, depending on whichever brand bounces out of the boffins in marketing.

ā€¦or maybe not.

12 Likes

The Australian this morning had no clue that CBS was negotiating to buy Ten, it was Murdoch and Gordon or no one. Late last week they were stating if the media ownership laws were not changed then Ten would collapse and there would be a fire sale. It was as if The Australian had inside information, but itā€™s now been proved they had nothing, they just made it up.

13 Likes

Absolutely fantastic news. Ten owned by WIN would be a loser, TEN owned by News Corp wouldā€™ve been a disaster, TEN bought by CBS = Great news for Australian Media.

7 Likes

This thread suddenly shot up to 100 more posts

What a shock!

I donā€™t think I even contemplated it?

It is better news (hopefully) than Lachlan Murdoch and Bruce Gordon?

I do wonder what a complete US control might incur, including all their potential programming being blasted here?

I wonder if this could lead to further international acquisitions down the line, ie Comcast buying Seven or Disney buying Nine.

As much as I hope it doesnā€™t, maybe being a part of these much larger mega-corporations is the way forward for our local industry with more direct access to global content, a more cohesive online strategy, more efficient news resources and greater financial security. It also feels like our media scene could really do with a massive shakeup and some fresh direction which I think is beyond the capabilities of the domestic industry by itself.

5 Likes

What does this shock revelation mean for your weekly analysis column in the Financial Review?

11 Likes

It wasnā€™t entirely unexpected. CBS were reported weeks ago to have an interest in buying out Ten. Itā€™s been discussed here for some time.

6 Likes

Not to mention it was well known since going into administration that Ten owed more money to CBS than any other party by a significant margin.

8 Likes

I wonder how secure or long-term Nineā€™s hold on the 60 Minutes franchise is.

2 Likes

ā€œDisNineā€ā€¦I can just picture it on the marquee.

5 Likes

Well how much do you hate Bruce Gordonā€™s WIN branding getting in the way of Tenā€™s lovely brands?

As long as CBS have transparent watermarks instead of WIN-style in-your-face solid crap, and the channel names arenā€™t too stupid, Iā€™ll say itā€™s fine.

3 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

So more fragmentation is good ?

1 Like

or CBS10 like the old Southrern Cross ten logo or Prime 7 for ex

1 Like

:heart:

2 Likes

Maybe as well have a CBS watermark over WIN! That way we donā€™t have to put up with the shit stain that Bruce is damaging.