Paramount Australia & New Zealand

Wow. Just wow.

1 Like

Wow, that’s best News I’ve heard this morning (so far)! So glad that a more recognisable and more appropriate bidder bought the Network, rather than Bruce and Murdoch. Hopefully they can restructure the Ten Brand going forward in the future better than the previous owners did. Fantastic result! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

7 Likes

Good news for Ten.

But as much as I would like to see a presentation refresh (including new logo), I hope this doesn’t mean Ten changes into CBS Australia or similar.

5 Likes

Happy Happy, Joy Joy! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Surely CBS would want to keep Simpsons and perhaps even the FOX output deal. They still have 3 channels to fill. A lot depends on what CBS do in the next year.

6 Likes

Brilliant… have been saying this for ages. I was a broken record but this is going to be great for Australian media.

10 Likes

Good news for Ten with CBS buying the network.

1 Like

With a focus on launching CBS All Access here, one wonders if there may infact be a rebrand of TEN to CBS (or CBS All Access to TEN Play) to consolidate and familiarise users/viewers.

CBS also seems to indicate a desire to expand on news (as well as sport, reality, drama etc), according to the CBS media release. But a major goal seems to be multi-platform engagement.

1 Like

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/us-company-cbs-to-buy-ten-network-20170827-gy5doc.html

Indeed; this first part suggests CBS want to get their brand known here…

CBS will also launch “CBS All Access” in Australia, its subscription video on demand service, it announced.

…while this next bit acknowledges the value in the Ten brand:

“Network Ten is a prime broadcasting asset with over half a century of experience and brand equity in Australia,” Leslie Moonves, chairman and chief executive of CBS Corporation, said.

An initial thought was their affiliate partner (WIN) is already hurting & diminishing the Ten brand.

My guess is CBS will keep the main channel as Ten, at least for a while, but may re-launch & rebrand 11 & One to bring in the CBS name.

2 Likes

They can bid big on sports and retain a news service without sky. Two major positives.

17 Likes

On sport (and to a lesser extent news), CBS will still want to make & keep Ten profitable, so I wouldn’t be jumping for joy quite yet if I was Cricket Australia, or other sporting organisations hoping for more for broadcast rights.

1 Like

It will, however, be able to broadcast American sport. CBS All Access service streams NFL, college football, college basketball and golf.

7 Likes

Well, subject to approval, INDEED A GOOD NEWS!

3 Likes

Depending on the broadcast rights they have & what international/Aus rights have already been re-sold to others such as Foxtel or Seven (i.e. NFL), but when those rights contracts are due to expire/come up for renegotiation/new bids, they’d of course be smart enough to bundle in Aus with their USA bids.

It’ll be interesting to see what CBS want to do with One, 11 and TenPlay; perhaps One HD (MPEG4) sport again, or more likely they’d make available their additional content via CBS All Access.

2 Likes

CBS HQ in New York is a bit more local to us than Bruce Gordon in Bermuda (15979km vs 16666km), so a win for local ownership!!!

http://cbs.com.au is taken by a consultancy firm.

9 Likes

The News Corp press were claiming that Gordon and Murdoch were the last bid standing, with the two private equity firms having pulled out, and no one else putting in a bid. They just made it up.

5 Likes

I wonder what it means for the cbs stuff Stan has.

1 Like

For a start the network won’t close down! CBS is to provide interim funds to ensure on-going operations until the deal is finalised in 6-8 weeks. I also see it as a vote of confidence in Ten and FTA in Australia in general that CBS think they can make money out of broadcast TV.

5 Likes

I wonder if we will see 11 and One branded to CBS Drama and CBS reality like they have in the UK

8 Likes