Paramount Australia & New Zealand

Paramount Plus would have one of the lowest subscription rates of the available streaming services in Australia as their content is the worst of the lot. I doubt they have a sizeable subscription base. However it makes total sense to concentrate on streaming moving forward. But some recent decisions by management have been stupid.

2 Likes

Surprise surprise News Corpse being spoil sports because they see Paramount as a threat to them :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Yes some of the management decisions have been questionable and the P+ user interface is not the best in comparison to other services In my opinion the content is improving all the time and there is actually a lot I watch there.

Ghosts is fantastic!

1 Like

Do you have a source for this information?

This statement is contestable. They have some great shows and I watch it more often than Disney and Stan. I watch it about the same as I watch Netflix.

1 Like

This is what happened with One. They had to send in Murdoch to rip it apart so there was no competition for sports rights.

3 Likes

I have no doubt that Murdoch and co are terrified of losing the AFL rights to paramount and that’s why the hit job in the Australian to try and make the AFL nervous about going with 10/Paramount

5 Likes

Ten as a going concern is still profitable, just not to the same level it was over a decade ago.

Especially with the bug on iPhone that enabled most people to sign up for a year at the price of just one months subscription cost :sweat_smile::joy:

That went viral on Australia.

What a vast oversimplification and full consumption of the Murdoch koolaid.

Korda Mentha were confused, as were a lot of creditors, by the decision to place the company into administration. Especially considering it could service the loans it had, continuing to pay its employees, facilitating a new line of credit AND being able to fund new programming.

CBS’ infusion of money was working. Until Paramount assumed control of international and treated the network like a production house.

5 Likes

I’ll put money on there being something in this

The circumstances to which they were in the position to buy it need to be considered as well - they were a major creditor in 10’s collapse. It’s always felt it was a short-term goal for CBS to extract value and offload.

The previous major owners tried to play 4D chess and failed badly - then it became about engineering an outcome that would allow them to write off their investments. It didnt help their share price had valued the company at less than half its book value in the lead up the collapse and the only assets of real value were intangibles (TV licences and content)

That’s just it. There was no collapse… Murdoch and Gordon simply refused to guarantee the existing loan.

They had 3 options ahead of them… the best was as the biggest shareholders, the worst was to bail on their guaranteeship.

The new loan was financed 100% by guaranteed future earnings. At no point did the debt exceed that future profit.

3 Likes

If 10 is looking at buying Southern Cross TV, surely WIN would be looking at buying 10?

All WIN needs is the capital city licences and it’s then a stand alone national network.

WIN’s current arrangements with 9 could easily be unwound.

Isn’t WIN in a contract with Nine for the next six years and are merging their sales teams? A potential WIN/10 tie up died years ago.

1 Like

I would be surprised if there wasn’t a mutually agreed ‘out’ clause in their arrangement. Their sales teams could just as easily un-merge and WIN would only have to add a couple of extra channels to its existing playout. No more network affiliation fees and WIN would only have to do a centralised capital city news bulletin in each market which 10 now does in Perth/Adelaide/Brisbane anyway.

Unfortunately WIN isn’t the same business it was 5-10 years ago. I think the family will be happy just getting the smallish dividends out of the network until a tie up with Nine happens, they do own 15% of the parent company.

Get Up! Stand Up! Show Up!

Paramount Australia And New Zealand Celebrates NAIDOC Week 2022.

With this year’s NAIDOC Week being all about amplifying First Nations voices, Paramount ANZ aims to do just that.

Across the week, we’ll be getting up, standing up and showing up across all facets of our business, with our programming helping to focus on the momentum for change and as a medium for First Nations Peoples to be heard.

Leading the way are 10 staple programs Studio 10, 10 News First and The Project, showcasing amazing stories from around the country with a First Nations focus.

Alongside unique storytelling, First Nations names of all locations will be present on screen, as well as the traditional place names on the weather map across the country.

Proud Whadjuk Noongar woman and Studio 10 presenter Narelda Jacobs will head to Uluru to visit remote communities, shining a spotlight on what it’s truly like for First Nations people in the country’s red centre.

Delving deeper, The Project will be joined by a First Nations guest host at the desk Monday to Friday. Ben Abbatangelo, Aaron Fa’aoso, Mitch Tambo, Tony Armstrong and Casey Donovan will all lead the conversation into why Get Up! Stand Up! Show Up! is more important now than ever.

Over on MTV, we learn more about your favourite First Nations artists. Join Trials, Tia Gostelow, Birdz, Baker Boy and Alice Skye as they share their culture, favourite Indigenous words and why country is so important to them in quick, bite sized breaks.

On 10 Play and Paramount+ the third season of Stuff Everyone Should Know About Australia will be available to stream. Join host, comedian and proud Ydinji woman Steph Tisdell as she shows us what makes Australia’s past truly unique. Things you think you know about our country will be flipped on their head, with a dash of comedy to soften the blow.

Need a First Nations film fix? Look no further than 10 Play which is making available to stream nine films including Servant Or Slave, Jedda, Tudawali, Emu Runner, Black And White, The Last Wave, Walkabout to Hollywood, Stormboy and Satellite Boy.

And if that’s not enough, you can also stream seasons of both Whatchamacallit and Outback Magic With Simon Taylor.

Off air, Paramount ANZ will also celebrate the launch of the Innovate phase of its Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP), to further its commitment to advancing Reconciliation with Australia’s First Peoples.

Paramount ANZ’s vision for Reconciliation is to build an Australia that elevates the voices and perspectives of First Nations Peoples and cultures and for these voices and perspectives to be embedded in the Australian media landscape.

With First Nations voices needing an outlet more than ever, we hope to build our relationships and showcase our support for narrowing the gap for a positive outcome.

2 Likes

Didn’t know where to put this but I’ve never seen the 10 News First / Studio 10 set used for this show. Login • Instagram

5 Likes

Goes to show how great the set is, 10 have used it for pretty much everything and it looks fantastic every single time.

3 Likes

Maybe they just filmed this episode from the set? Ala Nine News Darwin promos?