Paramount Australia & New Zealand

Knowing 10, they will sack Chris Bath, Jennifer Keyte and Sandra Sully who would all no doubt be on big $$. Replace them with the likes of Charlotte Goodlet (who, in saying that, is a decent presenter) who would be much cheaper to have on board.

1 Like

If they sacked Sully there would be zero credibility left for the network.

Maybe we’ll hear at the upfronts with two new positions in news there’s a new strategy. We’ll have to wait and see.

One thing they’re releasing is they’re needing more content. And this year they’ve had more one off specials and docks so there is an an acknowledgment of the fact they need more content and maybe the news division can contribute to that.

4 Likes

as a news buff the only advantage 10 have is the 5pm timeslot - it allows me to watch whilst cooking dinner, but on weekends especilly i don’t bother as its all national news.

2 Likes

Referring to studio 10 probably.

It was all very cryptic. He would have good sources in the network from his days there.

10 will have to invest a bit more of the content budget into news to make it work. CBS are third rated in news over there amongst the free to air broadcasters and do it well despite being third. So perhaps they can make something work here and continue to be third.

3 Likes

Let me guess… they’re resurrecting the “Eyewitness News” name for the umpteenth time? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

God know!! Please help us all.

1 Like

That’s the first thing that can go. Absolutely zero impact (again) to Seven and Nine News since they added it.

1 Like

Maybe. But wasn’t the point that it was trying to get more viewers for the 6pm half hour. Has that happened?

I was under the impression that doing the extra 30 had nothing to do with the competition but more so trying to improve the 6pm slot.

1 Like

It has shown some improvement in the demos. One thing that regularly happens is the 6pm segment outrates the 5pm hour in the demos (as it did yesterday).

1 Like

She isn’t bad, but hardly experienced enough to be the lead presenter of a network’s flagship evening bulletin at the moment! In another 2-5 years, maybe.

Agreed. To put it bluntly, 10 News First would be completely stuffed without her.

Branding wise, I’d probably drop the absolutely meaningless “First” from the name and just have the bulletin(s) as 10 News.

Ten pretty much needs their news to be in the 5pm timeslot in order to survive - it’s part of their DNA (well, for nearly 30 years anyway)!

If they were to ever exit it, no doubt Seven and/or Nine would be quick to swoop by having 5pm bulletins of their own in all markets.

1 Like

If White did say that, it is a slap in the face to already stretched crews on the ground - who already do at least double what their counterparts at other networks do.

They need to crew better to tell stories - well that’s a mighty fine idea, why didn’t the decades of experience leading each state team think of that? What would you like them to do? Keep filming for stories all day? When do they write them and get them edited? Once again a dull comment from a half-witted individual that hasn’t spent a moment in a newsroom.

Yes they could do more, but to come in and say that smacks of little to no empathy. White has had it chummy through this new way - his way of telling the news barely changed… save for the international stories getting recorded early.

To have 2 heads of a department you have gutted is bullshit and spits in the faces of the employees you’ve been sucker punching for 3 years. To have one of those heads dedicated to a division that you have shown zero care for - online - is laughable at best, leading to more redundancies at worst.

They had so much potential before the merger.

7 Likes

It really is such a shame what the merger caused. There was so much hope for the entire operation end of 2019 - mid 2020 with the introduction of extended bulletins and the Sydney set. Was clearly heading in a new direction, only to be completely gutted months later.

2 Likes

They’ve basically already done this in Adelaide and Nine moved very quickly during the News Revolution period to fill 5pm when 10 briefly exited 5pm weekends. Agree conceding anymore ground would be diabolical.

Not sure what to make of these new appointments. I wonder if they are appointing other people to fill White and Habib’s original positions or if they are just taking on additional responsibilities. Habib is perhaps a hopeful appointment if they increase their digital presence, though nothing will happen without more resources.

3 Likes

I’ve just noticed that the 10 logo has been removed from the top of the ViacomCBS ANZ website, it previously was before the ViacomCBS. I believe their Twitter account also removed the 10 from the name part (handle never changed) and the domain name updated too.

Could be nothing but I also noticed this in the press release yesterday, no 10:

As usual:

Also just noticed 10 has added this to the bottom of the 10 play website:

“We acknowledge the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the First Australians and the Traditional Custodians of the lands and waterways on which we live, work and play. We pay our respects to Elders past and present”.

2 Likes

10 also showed a local acknowledgement of country before the premier episode of Masked Singer and Making It Australia.

It was really lovely to see.

2 Likes

10 seems to have an obsession with having two people co-lead a position that was once spearheaded by a single person. First Bev and Jarrod taking over from Paul Anderson and now this.

Could be a potential case of too many cooks spoil the broth.

3 Likes

The thinking is that only an intentional and holistic approach can combat bias, discrimination, prejudice and other forms of hate.

“For decades, we’ve told stories that matter. But we’ve been operating on instinct rather than measuring impact,” ViacomCBS president and CEO Bob Bakish wrote in a detailed companywide memo Tuesday morning announcing the initiative. “We need a deeper, more quantifiable understanding of how to harness the power of storytelling to challenge stereotypes, shift perceptions and create meaningful change. This starts not just with who is represented but how they are represented. And it requires more than an earnest desire to do better; we must find concrete ways to hold ourselves accountable.”

1 Like

9 Likes

Foxtel Group and ViacomCBS announce major content distribution and apps deal

The Foxtel Group today announced a series of multi-year agreements with ViacomCBS to provide blockbuster and catalogue Paramount Pictures movies, a large range of hit TV series, the Nickelodeon, Nick Jr. and MTV channels, along with integration of the Paramount+ and 10 Play apps onto Foxtel set top boxes in 2022 for Australia.

2 Likes

Don’t know if this was posted anywhere -
Pretty stupid comment from James regarding the streaming service - it’s where 7 should be heading in the streaming age.

1 Like