Paramount Australia & New Zealand

I’ve just noticed that the 10 logo has been removed from the top of the ViacomCBS ANZ website, it previously was before the ViacomCBS. I believe their Twitter account also removed the 10 from the name part (handle never changed) and the domain name updated too.

Could be nothing but I also noticed this in the press release yesterday, no 10:

As usual:

Also just noticed 10 has added this to the bottom of the 10 play website:

“We acknowledge the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the First Australians and the Traditional Custodians of the lands and waterways on which we live, work and play. We pay our respects to Elders past and present”.

2 Likes

10 also showed a local acknowledgement of country before the premier episode of Masked Singer and Making It Australia.

It was really lovely to see.

2 Likes

10 seems to have an obsession with having two people co-lead a position that was once spearheaded by a single person. First Bev and Jarrod taking over from Paul Anderson and now this.

Could be a potential case of too many cooks spoil the broth.

3 Likes

The thinking is that only an intentional and holistic approach can combat bias, discrimination, prejudice and other forms of hate.

“For decades, we’ve told stories that matter. But we’ve been operating on instinct rather than measuring impact,” ViacomCBS president and CEO Bob Bakish wrote in a detailed companywide memo Tuesday morning announcing the initiative. “We need a deeper, more quantifiable understanding of how to harness the power of storytelling to challenge stereotypes, shift perceptions and create meaningful change. This starts not just with who is represented but how they are represented. And it requires more than an earnest desire to do better; we must find concrete ways to hold ourselves accountable.”

1 Like

9 Likes

Foxtel Group and ViacomCBS announce major content distribution and apps deal

The Foxtel Group today announced a series of multi-year agreements with ViacomCBS to provide blockbuster and catalogue Paramount Pictures movies, a large range of hit TV series, the Nickelodeon, Nick Jr. and MTV channels, along with integration of the Paramount+ and 10 Play apps onto Foxtel set top boxes in 2022 for Australia.

2 Likes

Don’t know if this was posted anywhere -
Pretty stupid comment from James regarding the streaming service - it’s where 7 should be heading in the streaming age.

1 Like

Dinosaur comes to mind. He’s clearly jealous of 10 coming out of the streaming woods with P+.

If only Seven had Presto…oh wait.

6 Likes

He is partially right, Ten has repeats galore while Ten stacks its new CBS content on Paramount+. Although we are getting new eps of NCIS: Los Angeles, CSI: Vegas, Bull and Graham Norton on Ten at the moment, so it isn’t all one way traffic.

But for those of us who refuse to pay for television, we’ll just have to sit it out. If I had any inclination to pay, I’d have gotten Foxtel many years ago.

1 Like

The reality is that linear TV is declining, and fast.

Investing into a streaming service and putting content onto it is the right way into the future IMO.

11 Likes

You do pay for linear tv in the price of the products you buy. Part of the cost of all products goes towards the advertising budget. The term FTA is a misnomer.

And via our taxes when it comes to programs on the ABC/SBS…and anything that gets funding from the various state/territory & federal ​government film/screen bodies - some of which is content shown on commercial TV, some of which gets run on the public broadcasters.

But I think most people around here know all that. And understand that “free to air” is largely used as a descriptive term for television services we don’t (directly) pay a monthly subscription fee for.

2 Likes

I do not buy everything I see on FTA, if I did I’d be back on the street. The “cost” of FTA is in the advertising time during programming, but again that is what makes it free to view.

There’s really no such thing as truly free (that is the price of living in a capitalist society), unless you are a child, infirm or a grifter.

Plus the implication I would be making the products I buy cheaper by paying for subscription tv, without advertising, is, I think, misinformed.

1 Like

Yes but there should be a balance IMO. Some new content (also known as not Bull triple) on FTA and some more on streaming. Unless if 10 wants to deliberately be part of the process to accelerate FTA decline then their current pathway needs to be slightly adjusted.

Having said that, the other two aren’t much better. Seven in particular likes to air UK and US rubbish that doesn’t even rate. They (like 10 and to a lesser extent Nine) only care about 7.30 which is only helping FTA becoming irrelevant quicker.

1 Like

I think it’s OTT to suggest 10 (ViacomCBS) won’t be viable. Even though linear ratings for the network aren’t good the Total TV ratings and demos seem to still work in 10’s favour, and that’s got to be keeping 10 in the game.

3 Likes

Ten is still passable in Metro, but regional I am not so sure of. I still think having two commercial operators would have been the better plan for Save Our Voices, with one of them being able to re-transmit Ten in dirty form to maintain that desirability of “choice” a basic level of competition rather than none.

I didn’t go down the demo path because that opens a whole other can of worms, but it needs to be noted 10 is third in their preferred demo of Under 50s.

I have always pushed back against people saying we can’t sustain 3 commercial networks but I am now genuinely concerned. My position has not changed lightly. If Paramount+ doesn’t work then what do they do?

Advertising revenue is shrinking, the audience is fragmenting and the trend is worrying.

It’s a sad state of affairs tbh – not just for 10 but the entire industry

2 Likes

They do make some good points in the article and
Podcast, and 10 should always strive to do & commission better but anytime they (TV Blackbox) criticize the network I can’t help but think it just comes off as a disgruntled ex employee and business which had rightly or wrongly been effectively cut off by the network.

It does make me wonder however whether ViacomCBS have thought about changing up management of their ANZ operations or if they’re comfortable with where the network is now. They’ve stabilized without any debt, invested in where they need to be (sport), created efficiencies with centralized news operations and now launched their SVOD through 10 which looks to the future of what the company will be.

Looking abroad and they seem quite comfortable with Channel 5 in the UK and where it sits in the order of how the networks perform there and that network has notoriously underperformed lacking any real news presence and all but no sports.

5 Likes

Look I understand where you’re coming from and I agree with your points about the two basketcases in 10 News First and Studio 10 but I think there’s something that I’m sure that you’re aware of that should be emphasised a bit more. All shows (with the exception of The Voice maybe) are down on last year so it’s not a 10 problem exclusively. 10’s shows still keep them afloat most of the times and it’s only when they air fillers (and flops like Making It) that they crash. 10 aren’t really looking into being the No.1 network like Seven and Nine are so for what their target is (which is to have a large proportion of their audience being under 50) they’re doing alright.

Sure they could do better but then every network can do better and I feel like if you’re criticising 10 you should probably also criticise Seven and Nine as well (or commercial FTA in general) because both of them don’t have much depth whatsoever in their schedule and are even more reliant on a few tentpole shows to keep them afloat whereas 10 at least has some variety even if not everything worked out well.

3 Likes