Pacific Magazines

From Seven West

ACCC Statement of Issues regarding sale of Pacific Magazines to Bauer Media

The ACCC has released a Statement of Issues today expressing concerns about some limited aspects
of the proposed sale of Pacific Magazines to Bauer Media, specifically common ownership
of New Idea and Woman’s Day, and common ownership of That’s Life and Take 5.

Seven West Media (ASX: SWM) believes that the ACCC has taken an overly narrow view of the
competitive dynamics and constraints at play for magazine publishers and has not properly taken
into account the competitive constraints faced by magazine publishers from digital and social media
platforms.

James Warburton, SWM Managing Director and CEO, said: “Advertising spend on consumer magazines
represents only 2% of total advertising spend in Australia, whereas internet advertising
spend accounts for more than 46% of total advertising spend in Australia.1

“At a time when the ACCC itself is looking at the impact of digital platforms on traditional media
businesses and in the face of proposed Government reforms to redress the imbalance
between traditional media businesses and the dominant digital platforms, the concerns that have
been expressed seem misplaced.

“The transaction represents an opportunity to provide a stronger base for these titles
to compete into the future against digital platforms.”

SWM will continue to engage with the ACCC as its process continues.

At last, when it’s almost too late, the ACCC finally get it.

All the buyouts, mergers and other undermining of Australian media in the post ASX crash era beyond 1987 with no regulation besides this toothless tiger and now they finally wake up and it’s about trash mags.

Where’s Catalano when you need him to make silk a purse out of a sow’s ear? Perhaps the former Rural Press/Fairfax titles are proving too much of a challenge?

Down and down the plughole of relevance they go.

It’s a noble cause and should be considered but outside their latte sipping editorial groupthink, the audience, the target market is not engaged with it and their attempts to engage will be lost on them.

How cynical and what a dated way of thinking.

Reality of the audience @JBar, very difficult to change opinions. Realistic not idealistic, but good on them for trying.

But if everyone said that and sat on their hands then opinions would never change and problems would never be resolved.

It’s really amusing, the wheeling and dealing over such devalued assets.

1 Like

Saved from being lost to the sale. Seven choosing who they’d like to keep.

EDIT: SWM press release

EDIT: SWM has announced the sale deal will be completed on May 1.

1 Like

EDIT 1/5: the sale was completed this morning.

Expect the Bauer logo to begin appearing on a number of magazines from next week onwards.

1 Like

And expect more titles to be out of business by the end of the year.

2 Likes

Bauer’s logo appeared on New Idea and Who this week, with more titles still to come.

3 Likes

Whilst searching for spelling of 3AW’s producer Rex, I found this interesting bio for the Pac Mags staff member who wrote the story but is no longer employed:

Madi Spira

I was WHO’s Digital Content Editor for nearly two years. Following the Bauer/Pacific Magazines merger and the impact of COVID-19, I no longer have a role in either company. Writing is my passion and I hope to continue working in media. Please contact me with any opportunities: Madispira@gmail.com Madison Spira - Online Marketing Gurus | LinkedIn